TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

"Advanced" setting on software updates seems to be working

Discussion in 'Software Updates' started by diplomat33, Aug 6, 2019.

1. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

I definitely seem to be getting software updates faster on "advanced". Now, I get "my" update within days of it showing up on teslafi. For example, I may not get 2019.28.1 but when 2019.28.2 comes out and it is meant for my car, I get it almost immediately. In the past, I used to wait weeks before getting "my" update.

So "advanced" may not give you "early access" but it does seem to push out the designated update for your car quicker.

• Informative x 1
  2. NHK X

NHK X Member

Haha. My 3 and X are both on advanced but haven't noticed too much of a difference, albeit its only been 1-2 update cycles since. My X is actually still on 24.4.3.... in the single digits percentile if you see Teslafi as a surrogate for real world distribution. I even purchased FSD recently, hoping it would bump me up the line but no luck so far.

• Helpful x 1
  3. DirtyT3sla

DirtyT3sla Member

For you maybe. The last 3 updates I've gotten several weeks after the larger rollout

• Helpful x 1
  4. Puddles

Puddles Member

I’ve always gotten updates promptly, and after I clicked on “advanced” I expected them to come immediately, which hasn’t happened. Timing seems about the same before & after.

• Helpful x 1
  5. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

Has done nothing for me. Still last in line.

6. ARMARM

ARMARM Member

I still think that setting is a placebo and complete BS!

• Like x 1
  7. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I think advanced helps. And that Early Access for 5 referrals really helps.

Ok, I’m kidding. I haven’t even got my arachnids yet.

• Like x 1
  8. Alset Srotom

Alset Srotom Member

I'm sure it is helpful if you are on HW2.5, but those on HW3 always have to wait

9. srs5694

srs5694 Member

There's so much variability in the process that, from outside Tesla and assuming no trust of them, we'd need some meticulous data collection over dozens or hundreds of vehicles, and likely over several releases, followed by competent statistical analyses to make a determination of whether the "Advanced" software updates setting is doing anything. One person's anecdotal reports, yea or nay, over half a dozen updates means precisely Jack squat. Collecting a bunch of peoples' subjective assessments, without precise data collection and data analysis, means barely more than Jack squat -- certainly not enough to draw conclusions. More broadly speaking, people are very good at seeing patterns -- so good that we see them where they don't exist or where we have inadequate data (and therefore we draw incorrect conclusions).

• Like x 1
  10. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

It may seem that way, but I'm pretty sure that it is just coincidence. The latest updates have been quickly deployed fleet-wide.

It will really be apparent if you get V10 before others. But don't forget, the promise does seem to be only for early FSD holders.

• Like x 1
  11. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

I did get last update on the sooner side, but that sometimes happens randomly.

I’d have to see 4 back to back “early” updates to be convinced of any change.

12. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I have FSD purchased at delivery in 2017. Setting on advanced. Still on 2019.24.4 with no pending updates. The Advanced switch does seem to lead to earlier updates but it’s no guarantee that you will be on the front edge still.

13. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

04D10867-FF51-4966-9849-0257893A58A9.jpeg
    my guess would be that no WiFi can make it through all that dirt. Wash your car dangit that’s terrible :D:rolleyes::) J/K

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

UPDATE: got 28.2 in the second wave. Nothing in the first wave that got AP2 to 30% on TeslaFi, but got it in the wave that got AP2 to 57%

Soooooo yeah my experience is “earlier than average but not always in the first wave”

15. Alset Srotom

Alset Srotom Member

I'm on advanced, HW3 with FSD, still on 24.4...

16. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

May be they are still working on HW2.5 primarily - and port it to HW3 a little later ?

17. Alset Srotom

Alset Srotom Member

It always starts like that but TeslaFi shows 63% of HW3 on 28.2

18. arghx7

arghx7 Member

HW3 without FSD and with Advanced on, still at 24.2 . Last update I got quickly though.

19. 0mpg

0mpg Member

I bought FSD and have been tracking when i get the updates vs my non FSD purchasing friends. For most i get it ~24hrs earlier. Ive seen them get it as soon as 4hrs after me on critical patches.

• Disagree x 1
  20. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.32.2.2

We still aren't seeing Advanced having any noticeable difference. In our "family fleet", we currently have five cars. Three of them are set to Advanced and the two are on the Standard setting.

For the recent 2019.28.3.1 update, the two cars on the Standard setting got the update the day before or the same day as two of the cars on the Advanced setting.

• Like x 3