Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero covers, or Spikes (No Covers) Pics.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's too bad. If gun metal is what will be coming out, then I am back to getting my own wheels put on.

I am hoping all future 18 inch aero wheels have this color of wheels. I find them acceptable, if not very good looking. If it saves me from buying aftermarket wheels, that is a good thing. We will see how they look on my white 3. Tesla's $1500 price for the 19 inch rims is ridiculous, and I want the better mileage and softer ride of 18's anyhow.

Reactions: PRSIST and TimM.
Personally I am thrilled with the new finish. At least there is aftermarket if what they do isn't to everyone's liking.
Yeah, I didn't want to imply that I thought it was a bad color, no more than I would think the black paint is a bad color just because it's $1000 cheaper. It's all a matter of personal taste, but it just so happens that my tastes are going to cost me $2500.

Don't think I posted this pic yet...
DSCN1656 (Large).JPG

Look at PTFI's video library. He nor his Tesla mechanic could find a way to remove the aero wheel center cap.

Having seen these wheels myself, I am confident that lug nut covers can remain in place with the aero cover on. So, switching between aero cover on and off is simply removing the aero cover, and popping in a stock Tesla S center cap. Reverse procedure to go back to aero mode :) .

Look at PTFI's video library. He nor his Tesla mechanic could find a way to remove the aero wheel center cap.

Having seen these wheels myself, I am confident that lug nut covers can remain in place with the aero cover on. So, switching between aero cover on and off is simply removing the aero cover, and popping in a stock Tesla S center cap. Reverse procedure to go back to aero mode :) .

The issue will be removing the stock Tesla center cap to revert back to the aeros. Every center cap I’ve removed has to be pushed out from the rear meaning removing the wheel.

The issue will be removing the stock Tesla center cap to revert back to the aeros. Every center cap I’ve removed has to be pushed out from the rear meaning removing the wheel.
Reposting. Duct tape 10 seconds a wheel:

If that turns out not to work reliably, easy enough to drill and or tap a small hole in the dark grey portion of the cap, and use a hook or bolt to pull them off reliably.