Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After the M3 Reveal, Who Regrets Their Recent Model S Purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of us bought Model S to pay it forward so that our grandkids can have affordable EVs in their future. So far I am not disappointed and the Model 3 is exactly what the world needs.

In addition, we run our Model S on sunshine using a solar array on our house. The annual fuel savings over the life of the car makes the Model S a good deal for us.

There will always be newer and better products coming but we have no regrets in being an early adopter that promotes the direction.

No regrets on recent Model S purchase ... quote from my 11 year old nephew at a BBQ last weekend:
"it's the best car ever Uncle Dave " :D

He then commented that the model 3 screen looked stupid....hmm maybe they should have surveyed a group of 10-11 year olds for the display design in the M3 :eek:

any way if the M3 was available at my time of purchase i probably would have selected it over MS base on price alone..

my only regret would have been to purchase another ICE

Waiting for my Model S to be delivered next month. I don't regret it at all - really glad I changed my mind and went for the S. The Model 3 is disappointing in many ways, especially the interior. I really thought the steering controls were going to be amazing after Elon's comment but it's barely changed from the initial prototype. It's still a great car - but for me it's a second car rather than the S which can handle all of our family stuff. The continued secrecy over things like pack size would have driven me mad by now!

Traded in my 2013 S for a 2017 S in March, very happy with that decision. :)

We'll be adding a Model X to our family next, maybe in a couple years. Waiting on quality for that to go up. But I got an S75 so the plan is to get an X100 (or whatever the longest range X is in a couple years) to be the much more comfortably long distance vehicle. Though, we're having no problem with the 75, it'll just be nice to have.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Got my S in December. Did not want to wait for the 3. So glad I did!! The S is amazing.

Glad the Model 3 is here as more of the masses need to move to electric vehicles. You can't go wrong either way, but for me, I have been spoiled with the Model S.

No regret. For all the inferior features the model 3 provides for a pricy $60K sometime In 2018 car to get as close as possible to my model s, i am glad i made the purchase last year and have been enjoying EV driving since then.

For my situation I think I the price difference is around $20K at the end of the day after 10 years of driving. But I would happily pay that price if I had to do it again because I would enjoy driving a better more capable EV 2 years earlier and throughout the life of the car.

I've had a little buyers remorse. I've got a fairly well loaded MS 75D, so cost is around $80K after tax credits. I would've probably spent about $60K after tax credits on the model 3. That said, the model is larger sexier, a bit more luxurious, more trunk space, the instrument cluster and bigger screen etc.

I only wish we would have bought it a bit later. The auto lift gate and the extra second of 0-60 time would have made me feel a little better. I feel a little cheated that a model 3-75 will have much more range with the same 0-60 times. That said, the better they can make model S's and model 3's going forward, the better for all of us! I'm sure there will be a constant barrage of m3 and ms updates that make me jealous in the future.

Answer to question--not us. Since I have an old 2001 Avalon (which is still running great and still a very nice car being fully loaded and in very good condition), I have been watching the M3 with interest. At some point it will need replacing. I thought when they announced the M3 last year hubby would have put a deposit down on it but instead he surprised me by ordering our MS and replaced his car which was newer than mine. God I love this car, we both do and never felt that way about any car we've had in the past. We've had discussions about what to do when we replace the Avalon and I think we'll go the route of adding a new MS with larger battery. Not sure when that will be but probably not until new batteries come out for the MS line. I really love our car as configured and hope they keep the dual screens on it down the road along with keeping the current interior look and more choice of configurations, although we went basically with an all black interior and haven't regretted it one bit (first black interior and was concerned about it being hot, doesn't seem to matter really and the dark interior I think is easier on the eyes with our extremely bright full sun summer days). I find it a more luxurious look than the paired down M3 and for the price of an MS, honestly would want more. I'd be thrilled to have our 75D as a replacement car.

I think when it comes down to it we prefer the larger body size, storage capacity and look in general. Plus having seen photos with MS's involved in some bad accidents, I like the larger crumple zone.

As No2dinosaurfuel said, been spoiled by the MS although totally realize that it doesn't fit in everyone's budget or simply make financial sense either for many. I love that Tesla is giving the choice of a smaller, less expensive car in such an attractive styling and something that is fun to drive like our MS.

Last edited:
No regrets.....

I had a Porsche 911 a few years back, then they released the Cayman. I went through the same thing as I am now (i.e. should I, shouldn't I). However, it was always referred to as the 'poor man's Porsche' and never has the exclusivity as the 911.

My point is........the Model S will always be deemed to be the prestigious model........you never know, in the future, the M3 might get branded the 'poor man's Tesla'.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I've had my 2013 S for about 2 years now (used). I canceled my Model 3 reservation about 4 months back. Just didnt see the need for more cars and don't regret mine in the slightest, even for how old it is with all the missing features. M3 will be great, I hope to see many on the road, just not for me right now.

I've thought a lot about this too (June 2016 purchase).

When you add AWD, Autopilot, bigger batteries, non-black paint, non-aero wheels, Supercharging, etc etc, the price starts to look a lot more S-like. Even with the premium enhancements, the 3 is 20% less car (and not aluminum either) than the S. If the price is about 35% less money, this is still phenomenal progress by Tesla to achieve this -- well, we won't truly know what they've accomplished until their 2018 Q1 earnings report -- but you are getting less car.

If I was buying new today and the 3 was available to me right now, it would make for a very painful decision. But since it isn't, and I am not, and given the points above, I don't have any regrets.