Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Racing Performance brake rotors - weight loss w/better heat dissipation at a steep price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Racing Brake in California makes the only option to Mountain Pass performance aftermarket rotors. Price is a formidable $2185, for front and rear replacement rotors. Or you can just get the fronts for $1140.

Pros:

1) Better heat dissipation from a curved 'convergent vane' design, but probably useful only in tracking or extreme use conditions but also with improved resistance to corrosion, warping, and a bunch of other issues that might degrade performance useful outside of the track.
2) two-piece construction means that you can keep the centers and replace the rotors (referred to as 'blanks') saving some money, with the blanks or 'rotor rings' running about $285 a piece. These are cheaper and of course better than the stock Tesla rotors if you buy them from Tesla.
3) lighter in weight at 16.2 lb for front rotors, but this is really only 3.3 pounds lighter than the stock rotor (their website incorrectly quotes the stock front Rotor at 23 lb).
4) easy installation process (20 minutes a corner), drops right in, 1mm thicker disk just meant slight expansion of caliper spread needed. This is an easy car to work on and tweak!
5) the 3-4 mm thicker center hub obviates the dreaded rotor hub lip on Performance brake models, meaning that any hub-centric wheel will fit without special machining.
6) roughly 2 lb lighter than competing Mountain Pass performance discs, and also has matching rear rotor set which MPP does not yet have. Unclear if MPP also has curved concentric vane design. These RB discs are unidirectional as part of that design principle. Unclear if MPP also following this approach ( I love MPP's stuff so I'm not knocking them!)

Cons:

1) Price (this form of weight loss costs over $100 a pound!)
2) May need slightly more negative offset Wheels given thicker rotor hub - modest disadvantage if you just bought 35 mm offset Wheels!

View attachment 383430 View attachment 383431 View attachment 383432

Thank you for the review @dfwatt, just catching up this thread now as I'm interested in having these rotors installed. How have yours been treating you so far?

Also, I may have missed this but - what brake pads did you end up going with? RB recommends going with XT910 over other manufacturers' products for "excellent modulation, no squeaking, very low dust braking"

Thank you for the review @dfwatt, just catching up this thread now as I'm interested in having these rotors installed. How have yours been treating you so far?

Also, I may have missed this but - what brake pads did you end up going with? RB recommends going with XT910 over other manufacturers' products for "excellent modulation, no squeaking, very low dust braking"
Racingbrake has asked me to be the liaison for this forum and for channeling sales. I have also gotten the go ahead to give some better pricing/free goodies.

I want to help RB with selling more of these 380mm kits. Anyone that purchases it through EVTuning.com will get a free motive bleeder and master cylinder adapter with 2 catch bottles and 2 bottles of the brake fluid of their choice. Either Motul RB600, RB660, ATE200, GOLD or Stoptech STR 600 or STR 660. Simply reply back to your confirmation email with which brake fluid you would like and we will take care of adding the free stuff to your order.

Also the Rear Two Piece Stock Direct Replacement Performance Model 3 brake rotors should be shipping in the next 7-10 days! If you've been on the fence waiting for those to be available I will give you 25% off a set of stainless brake lines with purchase of a Rear Set of Performance Brake Rotors (Discount code SS25) or 30% off a set of lines with purchase of a front and rear set of rotors (Base brake rotors, Performance Rotors) (Discount code SS30).

If there is some other sort of package setup you'd like to see at a better than retail price I am open to suggestions and would like to help more people get into RB products and out having fun on the track!

Racingbrake has asked me to be the liaison for this forum and for channeling sales. I have also gotten the go ahead to give some better pricing/free goodies.

I want to help RB with selling more of these 380mm kits. Anyone that purchases it through EVTuning.com will get a free motive bleeder and master cylinder adapter with 2 catch bottles and 2 bottles of the brake fluid of their choice. Either Motul RB600, RB660, ATE200, GOLD or Stoptech STR 600 or STR 660. Simply reply back to your confirmation email with which brake fluid you would like and we will take care of adding the free stuff to your order.

Also the Rear Two Piece Stock Direct Replacement Performance Model 3 brake rotors should be shipping in the next 7-10 days! If you've been on the fence waiting for those to be available I will give you 25% off a set of stainless brake lines with purchase of a Rear Set of Performance Brake Rotors (Discount code SS25) or 30% off a set of lines with purchase of a front and rear set of rotors (Base brake rotors, Performance Rotors) (Discount code SS30).

If there is some other sort of package setup you'd like to see at a better than retail price I am open to suggestions and would like to help more people get into RB products and out having fun on the track!

Placed an order for a set of fronts and rears!
Quick question -- are the ones you are offering the surface slot or open slot versions?

It depends on the fitment it is referred to as 970 for the Model 3 applications. This wouldn’t be ideal for the street though. 910 would be for street driving. I would start out with 910 and see how your track day goes and see if your ability etc warrants needing the 970. 910 will be a significant improvement over stock to begin with.

which rotor kit for reusing stock front calipers of model 3 rwd? Does it change the wheel offset?

Also which kit would use stock aero wheels?

• Informative
Reactions: Murattukaalai
So I see a big rotor kit on the rear and I don't see a bracket adapter. Also why are the RB front bbk in silver and the rear in black? Wouldn't you offer matching finish on both? The black bothers me.

All RB rotors are electro-plated black. The black coating over the contact surface with the brake pad will wear off to silver (bare metal) as part of the proper pad bedding process.

RB has many rotor options. Both as direct rotor replacement and BBK. The BBK would have adaptor.

Perhaps @EVTuning can chime in. Or you could contact EV Tuning directly with your questions.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
All RB rotors are electro-plated black. The black coating over the contact surface with the brake pad will wear off to silver (bare metal) as part of the proper pad bedding process.

RB has many rotor options. Both as direct rotor replacement and BBK. The BBK would have adaptor.

Perhaps @EVTuning can chime in. Or you could contact EV Tuning directly with your questions.

You're correct the rotor only appears black completely so that it doesn't rust on the shelf. Once installed the pads will wear away the black coating very quickly. They will match front to rear.

The rear BBK's are all still in prototype stage so not all parts may be referenced in pictures.

@TwoK4drSi if you have specific questions its best to email me directly. I don't always get alerts from the forums. [email protected]

Note difference in convection tunnels in stock brake versus curved tunnel on RB rotor

Other way around. In other words the OEM stock wheels on the Performance brake models have a 35 mm offset whereas all non Performance brake Wheels 19 and 18 inch size have a 40 mm offset.. That's because the rotor hat is thinner on the Performance brake models. We're changing that with the installation of the thicker aluminum instead of Steel rotor hats, so now you need probably 38-39 mm offset to keep the same scrub radius. 40 mm would be fine. And 35 mm would be usable. That's what I have on mine. But it's probably not ideal. It does give you a bit more distance from that front suspension knuckle which is a limiting factor on the front in in terms of wheels and wheel width. And you no longer have to worry if your aftermarket alloy Wheel manufacturer has machined in a lip to clear the brake rotor Hub that used to be 2+mm exposed with the performance brakes. That's now gone as you can see in one of my pictures below.

reviving old thread, sorry. Any issues you have experienced with this set up over the past year? My rotors are coming in today, and I wasn't aware of the additional thickness of the rotor hat on these RB rotors. Have 40mm offset oem 19's on there now, but have a set of 35mm offset MW09's on order, which will toss the scrub radius out a bit further and I'm not finding much data on scrub radius of stock setups on the model 3 around. TIA

reviving old thread, sorry. Any issues you have experienced with this set up over the past year? My rotors are coming in today, and I wasn't aware of the additional thickness of the rotor hat on these RB rotors. Have 40mm offset oem 19's on there now, but have a set of 35mm offset MW09's on order, which will toss the scrub radius out a bit further and I'm not finding much data on scrub radius of stock setups on the model 3 around. TIA

That 5 mm probably really won't make much difference. Slightly more poke out or perhaps a more flush look. You only get into trouble when you really mess with scrub radius in a big way. Even then I suspect there's a fair amount of latitude

Got a review on this?

I've got 7mm thick top hats fitted to my fronts, so 4mm thicker than stock. I've looked at the effect of this on offset and come to the conclusion after speaking to a few people more knowledgable than me on the subject, that 4 or 5mm difference to the offset is going to make no detectable difference to the car's geometry. If you are really close to the fender or the knuckle with wider than stock rims then maybe a few mm more or less will cause you issues, but in that case you're going to have to take a close look at everything anyway.

Got a review on this?

not anything significant. They definitely helped with handling as far as steering goes, done a couple of 60-0 stops and they knocked about 10 feet off the stock brakes according to dragy. but now with new wheels and tires, there’s no way to compare to the stock brakes legitimately . Still wouldn’t recommend them for a real road course, may be ok for autox, they’re just not designed for that.

new car will definitely have the biggest rotors possible after seeing how little of a difference a drop in unsprung weight made on acceleration on these things.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwoK4drSi