Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Racing Performance brake rotors - weight loss w/better heat dissipation at a steep price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
XT910: Performance Street - Medium initial bite, medium to high friction and brake torque. Low dust and little to no squeaking.

Not for use on the track, as high temperatures will greatly accelerate pad wear. For track racing, use Motorsports Compounds.

XT960-970: Medium initial bite, high friction and brake torque.

Since these pads are formulated for track/high temperature use, using them on the street may result some unfavorable situations such as brake squeal, dirty wheels, less brake friction at cold temperatures, and excessive rotor wear. For street driving, we recommended that you use Performance Street Compounds.

Yeah, I did not touch anything other than the two E18 torx bolts.
So the P calipers aren't like the base calipers, which you can swap out pads w/o moving the calipers? In the base brakes you punch out two pins, and slide the pads right out the topside of the caliper. You do need to alternate pressing in the pistons though, if the pads you're putting in are thicker/newer than the ones you're pulling out.

XT910: Performance Street - Medium initial bite, medium to high friction and brake torque. Low dust and little to no squeaking.

Not for use on the track, as high temperatures will greatly accelerate pad wear. For track racing, use Motorsports Compounds.

XT960-970: Medium initial bite, high friction and brake torque.

Since these pads are formulated for track/high temperature use, using them on the street may result some unfavorable situations such as brake squeal, dirty wheels, less brake friction at cold temperatures, and excessive rotor wear. For street driving, we recommended that you use Performance Street Compounds.
Will you be offering the xt960? Seems like a happy medium for someone who tracks once a month.

Will you be offering the xt960? Seems like a happy medium for someone who tracks once a month.
It depends on the fitment it is referred to as 970 for the Model 3 applications. This wouldn’t be ideal for the street though. 910 would be for street driving. I would start out with 910 and see how your track day goes and see if your ability etc warrants needing the 970. 910 will be a significant improvement over stock to begin with.

It depends on the fitment it is referred to as 970 for the Model 3 applications. This wouldn’t be ideal for the street though. 910 would be for street driving. I would start out with 910 and see how your track day goes and see if your ability etc warrants needing the 970. 910 will be a significant improvement over stock to begin with.

Is a set of the XT910 per brake or for the complete front? Shop description doesn’t mention this.

Just in case you missed it. The class winning Tesla P3 at One Lap of America had stock calipers with Racing Brake 2-piece rotors, front and rear. XT970 pads in the front, OE pad in the rear. The P3 OE pad had to be shaved a few millimeter to for the RB 2-piece. I had encounter the same rear clearance issue last month during my install. Informed RB and @EVTuning , RB decided to make a new P3 specific rear 2-piece rotor with new rotor ring casting to resolve the clearance issue.

Tesla Model 3, S become first EVs to complete One Lap of America rally event

Just in case you missed it. The class winning Tesla P3 at One Lap of America had stock calipers with Racing Brake 2-piece rotors, front and rear. XT970 pads in the front, OE pad in the rear. The P3 OE pad had to be shaved a few millimeter to for the RB 2-piece. I had encounter the same rear clearance issue last month during my install. Informed RB and @EVTuning , RB decided to make a new P3 specific rear 2-piece rotor with new rotor ring casting to resolve the clearance issue.

Tesla Model 3, S become first EVs to complete One Lap of America rally event
Thanks for posting that beast mode. I assume that you're talking about the rotor ring contacting the metal backing of the brake pad at the rear? Did you just take a grinding wheel to remove a couple of millimeters? Do you have a picture if so?

Thanks for posting that beast mode. I assume that you're talking about the rotor ring contacting the metal backing of the brake pad at the rear? Did you just take a grinding wheel to remove a couple of millimeters? Do you have a picture if so?

Just to be clear. I decided to wait for the updated P3 specific rear rotor from RB (eta July) without clearance issue. One Lap guys can't wait, so they modified OE P3 pads to work with the RB non-P3 2-piece rotor. Attached is a photo of OE P3 caliper/pad on non-P3 RB 2-piece, with only upper caliper mounting bolt inserted. IMHO the rear OE pad is undersized as is so I would not want to remove any material from it.

IMG_1823 2.JPG
IMG_1825.JPG

Last edited:
Does anybody make a brake duct kit for this car? Usually that's a much better solution for cooling the brakes. My understanding is that 2pc rotors are primarily for unsprung weight savings. I guess there might be a slight advantage in heat dissipation, but not very much.

Just to be clear. I decided to wait for the updated P3 specific rear rotor from RB (eta July) without clearance issue. One Lap guys can't wait, so they modified OE P3 pads to work with the RB non-P3 2-piece rotor. Attached is a photo of OE P3 caliper/pad on non-P3 RB 2-piece, with only upper caliper mounting bolt inserted. IMHO the rear OE pad is undersized as is so I would not want to remove any material from it.

View attachment 409551 View attachment 409552

Just to be clear, that's not even close! Since this picture represents the non-compatibility of the RB rear rotor for the non-P cars (part # 2598) with the P caliper (which shouldn't fit in any case), what about RB part #2623?

Just to be clear, that's not even close! Since this picture represents the non-compatibility of the RB rear rotor for the non-P cars (part # 2598) with the P caliper (which shouldn't fit in any case), what about RB part #2623?

That appears to be the correct part but I don't think they actually exist right now. Kind of like the rear pads I ordered over a month ago.

Reactions: dfwatt

July is the ETA for the P3 rear rotor - RB #2623.

That appears to be the correct part but I don't think they actually exist right now. Kind of like the rear pads I ordered over a month ago.

June is the ETA for P3 rear XT910 pads.

@EVTuning could confirm those dates.

Reactions: destructure00
July is the ETA for the P3 rear rotor - RB #2623.

June is the ETA for P3 rear XT910 pads.

@EVTuning could confirm those dates.

They told me June but I guess I'm a little earlier in the queue. In any case it's troubling that they sent out the wrong rotor, the rotor for the non Performance brake, and it's not clear whether they thought that would fit or what exactly they were thinking. Racing brake has to their credit taken full responsibility and has issued an RMA to me for the the return. Still, the whole episode is a bit troubling. No way you could mix up the part numbers or the applications.

They told me June but I guess I'm a little earlier in the queue. In any case it's troubling that they sent out the wrong rotor, the rotor for the non Performance brake, and it's not clear whether they thought that would fit or what exactly they were thinking. Racing brake has to their credit taken full responsibility and has issued an RMA to me for the the return. Still, the whole episode is a bit troubling. No way you could mix up the part numbers or the applications.

RB completed the design for #2623 on 4/24, and then it is ten weeks from that point if everything goes well. A brand new casting is required for the rotor ring. End of June, beginning of July give and take a few holidays here and there.

Reactions: dfwatt