Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
Disclaimer -- no intention to promote these products, only to see if others have an opinion and rate how beneficial each may be to a new X.
I have a 5 Seater on the way & it's time to consider ordering any or all of these. Due to price, I'd like some opinions first.

1: Wheel Bands Goal is to protect the rims
2: Aftermarket Rubbertite Floor Mats for a 5 Seater Goal is to protect the 2nd row & cargo area

Additional or alternate suggestions always welcome.

The Rubbertite mats are from Lloyd's. I have them as do several other people, and I generally like them. One small benefit compared to the Tesla mats is that you can get them to cover everything from the frunk to the back (including the 5-seater), and they can be ordered in a wide variety of colors. Search here and the Tesla forums and you'll find a few other threads about the various mats.

Hmmm, I am not convinced that the wheel bands do anything other than add some décor to the wheels. Looking at the wheels from the side, a curb can still really damage the rims if hit.

Are you drawing this conclusion based upon personal experience or photos? There is video out there showing how they protect the rim. I can tell you from installing them, there is no doubt in my mind they will protect the rim. They are hard as a rock!

Also, you can get them in any color, which means black to blend in with the wheels or tires. In other words, they don't add decor unless you want them too. For me, they add a perfect touch of red (look at what Porsche decided to do with the new GT3s).

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
Thanks. Is yours 22" Onyx black rim? I am surprise you were able to put it on. Even the vendor does not recommend it

My guess is bc Tesla 22s don't have a perfectly flat surface to adher them to. However, I found that it was enough to them to stick very well. I am taking a 4 hour highway trip next week. I'll let you know if I encounter any problems.

One piece of advice if you go this route: leave an overlap when you cut the material and then do your best to work it into place, even if you have to backtrack what you have already done and adjust it. The reason is you want the two ends to be perfectly flush WITH SOME TENSION against each other.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike M
I put black Alloygators on my 21" grey turbines for my Model S and I was lucky I did. The 1st week I had the turbines an oncoming Jeep straddling my lane forced me towards a low curb and the gators got scraped but the turbines are still good as new. A fair sized gouge is still present on the paasenger side front gator. Was definitely worth the $200 for the Alloygators and it took me about 2 hours to install them myself.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike M
I installed the Wheel Bands this weekend. Preparation is key.
I prepped each wheel w/
70 % Alcohol and a paper towel for upto 10 min each.
90% Alcohol wipes (included) for 5 min each, at a ratio of 1 wipe per 2 wheels.
Application of the actual adhesive track upto 10 min each
Installation of the band upto 5 min each.

Overall I must have given 2.25 hours to this project because I wanted it to stay in place.

Best tools -- Patience, Youtube Install video, paper towels, 70% alcohol from grocery store, sharp utility blade -- carpet/drywall knife, and a dry outside day on a relatively clean concrete parkway.

In summary, try to avoid interruptions and have plenty of patience. Spend some time practicing how to cut the segments.

Reactions: ToddS
I installed the Wheel Bands this weekend. Preparation is key.
I prepped each wheel w/
70 % Alcohol and a paper towel for upto 10 min each.
90% Alcohol wipes (included) for 5 min each, at a ratio of 1 wipe per 2 wheels.
Application of the actual adhesive track upto 10 min each
Installation of the band upto 5 min each.

Overall I must have given 2.25 hours to this project because I wanted it to stay in place.

Best tools -- Patience, Youtube Install video, paper towels, 70% alcohol from grocery store, sharp utility blade -- carpet/drywall knife, and a dry outside day on a relatively clean concrete parkway.

In summary, try to avoid interruptions and have plenty of patience. Spend some time practicing how to cut the segments.

Time to show off you hard work!! Pictures please.

Time to show off you hard work!! Pictures please.
Thanks for asking. Just waiting to get picked apart for no pictures. The rush to finish was for the Xpel appointment early the next day. She's in lock-up at the moment putting on her evening gown, if you will. Reveal end of next week.

Since this thread is about X'cessories, I want to give my support for this AbstractOcean screen protector on Amazon. I am really happy with
  1. Size: edge to edge
  2. Application
  3. Price
  4. End result

I confess I ordered and tried another $$ brand (pm if you want to know which one to avoid) and it cracked upon repositioning for fit. Appropriately, I left them a review.

In summary, I am completely pleased with the AbstractOcean screen protector. After it was installed, I could not recognize it was on. For me impact protection was the most important factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToddS