Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AirPlay - Tesla falls further behind in Infotainment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has said this year that they won't be offering an API for creating apps on Teslas. His words were "to expect an app developer community to develop for a few hundred thousand customers when there's hundreds of millions of iPhone and Android is unlikely." See here.
What's interesting about that is, in my opinion, it's already possible to see that this is false. I generally don't think it's a wise move to contradict Musk, but I think he's wrong, here. There are already apps (for sale, even) to run on our touchscreens. The experience is just bad because it's through the browser. We have a number of desktop/phone apps using the private APIs we have access to, but no documentation on. Their cars attract a tech-savvy buyer, and they're extremely popular in the most dense cluster of programmers in the nation.

If there was an API, there would be developers. There's no question in my mind.

What's interesting about that is, in my opinion, it's already possible to see that this is false. I generally don't think it's a wise move to contradict Musk, but I think he's wrong, here. There are already apps (for sale, even) to run on our touchscreens. The experience is just bad because it's through the browser. We have a number of desktop/phone apps using the private APIs we have access to, but no documentation on. Their cars attract a tech-savvy buyer, and they're extremely popular in the most dense cluster of programmers in the nation.

If there was an API, there would be developers. There's no question in my mind.
I agree, I think Elon is totally wrong in his market assessment. Look at the number of 3rd party apps for MS that run on the web, iPhone, Android and even Apple Watch.

Reactions: Johan
Perhaps he meant that the work it would take to create/maintain an API would be much more work than it's worth for the developers who do develop apps for the car. Tesla would have to support 3rd parties to create apps, give them an environment to test these apps, and support a mechanism deploy apps to some app store they'd also have to build. Don't forget that all of this work would require additional work in the future to support any changing UI/hardware features.

So while I too agree there would be app developers for Tesla, I'm pretty sure the work to make this possible is far greater than it seems like.

They spotted two Model X's in front of Apple's building.

From the article:

"It could be something else entirely, of course. We don’t know for sure that the Apple facility in question is really focused on self-driving cars. It could just as easily be something to do with CarPlay, Apple’s attempt to put Apple software into the infotainment system of regular cars. The Model Xs could be delivered as part of a collaboration between Tesla and Apple to put CarPlay into Tesla’s vehicles, which is very sensible, but also a lot more boring than an Apple-made autonomous SUV. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see."

What is Apple doing with these brand-new Tesla Model Xs?

Perhaps he meant that the work it would take to create/maintain an API would be much more work than it's worth for the developers who do develop apps for the car. Tesla would have to support 3rd parties to create apps, give them an environment to test these apps, and support a mechanism deploy apps to some app store they'd also have to build. Don't forget that all of this work would require additional work in the future to support any changing UI/hardware features.

So while I too agree there would be app developers for Tesla, I'm pretty sure the work to make this possible is far greater than it seems like.

But if Tesla just put the resources in to creating a proper API and a development tool/virtual environment then they would be rewarded 100-fold with useful, creative and entertaining apps in no time.

I have the Ford Sync system on my current car and two past cars, (Fusion Hybrid, Fusion Titanium and Taurus Sho) and find it very easy to use and it works fine. I don't understand why some people are confused about it.

Everything I keep reading on these forums makes me think that I spent $85K on a Yugo of a "Premium" luxury vehicle......

No BLIS or one that doesn't really work
No Sirius radio. Seriously Sirius is standard on every car these days. The subscription is up to you. Why do you need premium sound for sat radio and why would you even offer XM instead of Sirius??? lol I know it's the same company. Surely Tesla can figure out the antenna on a standard roof.
Crappy Nav system
Crappy info system
No cell phone integration???? What is this the middle ages or 2005 from a technology company?

What have I gotten myself into?
Bet you have Sync 3? Way, way better then the original Sync from Microsoft. We have both in our Ford C-Max,s. One a 2013 and the other a 2016 Energi. We are on the list for a Tesla Model 3.

From the article:

"It could be something else entirely, of course. We don’t know for sure that the Apple facility in question is really focused on self-driving cars. It could just as easily be something to do with CarPlay, Apple’s attempt to put Apple software into the infotainment system of regular cars. The Model Xs could be delivered as part of a collaboration between Tesla and Apple to put CarPlay into Tesla’s vehicles, which is very sensible, but also a lot more boring than an Apple-made autonomous SUV. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see."

I don't put much stock into what BGR says as they have constant click-bait articles.

What this comes down to is that Tesla makes beautiful cars that perform well. They've dropped the ball on fit and finish, particularly when it comes to being ahead of the curve (or being current) on infotainment. I've had Beemers and Mercs for years and the fit an finish of Teslas doesn't even compare (at any price point). I get it, it's all about the technology and investment in the future, but let's just call it like it is. The fact that I had to spend a few extra thousand dollars to be able to use SiriusXM (HFS and pano roof) and that I have a free app (Waze) for Navigation that I rely on daily on a tiny phone screen, instead of their beautiful display, tells me that I paid $110k for a car that is funding Tesla's future - it's not really a $110k car. As Elon has stated, the Model S is funding the Model 3 and Tesla's future. Either way, I love the car and won't go back to an ICE. I have to just accept that overpaying for a Model S or X is investing in the growth of Tesla and EV's. I am looking forward to the Model 3, because at that price point (and margin), we will see what Tesla is really made of (and so will the masses).

If Tesla could just get Waze notifications and real time traffic to replace Google (yes, I know Goole owns Waze), then I'd feel slightly better about their lack of progress with fit an finish.

Someone really should ask Elon about the state of the Tesla software.

Is he really satisfied to have a car that has inferior smart phone integration, media player, navigation, dashboard customization, ...?

Continuing to label new apps as "beta" is OK - but only if Tesla continues to invest in that software - and moves quickly to have a "feature complete" version that isn't labelled as beta. We still have beta apps - like the Android software or Trip Planner (and one could make a pretty strong case that the navigation software, media player and browser are also "beta" - since they have limited capabilities.

From the article:

Why not the obvious answer - two Apple employees purchased Model X's!

• Funny
Reactions: krazineurons
I installed an Alpine 007 display into my wife's Honda Fit that is used with Apple's CarPlay.
It works really well ... just do not try to zoom the map. The UI for that function is just awful.

The point being, each platform will have its pluses and minuses.

From a software standpoint - the biggest advantage of Tesla vehicles is the larger touchscreen display - and the use of Google satellite maps with the real-time traffic display.

From a functionality standpoint, each of the Tesla apps currently provides less functionality than many of the competing cars - or software on smartphones.

However... Unlike what other manufacturers have been doing with their software, Tesla will provide software updates for the life of the car - and if they ever do make major improvements to any of the apps (media player, navigation, smartphone integration), they'll likely make those available to every Tesla car - not just those in the most recent "model year".

Because of the larger touchscreen display, the fully configurable dashboard display, and the constant internet connectivity, Tesla has a lot of potential to provide significantly better software - if/when they make that investment.

One of the major luxury car manufacturers is playing television ads right now on the great software they have in their latest cars. And while the functionality may be better than what Tesla has currently in their cars, when the ad shows the navigation display with a simple line drawing of the route, it's great reminder that while the Tesla software may lack some of the features - I would miss the Google satellite maps.
Bob, good reasoned response to mknac's somewhat justifiable tirade to the deficiencies in the functionalities of the MS. He is right -- this is a system mired in 2005-10 in many of its functionalities 2005 for MS Classic owners like myself), even though the car gives the apparent sizzle of being futuristic in these features (maniac, don't feel bad -- you really have to borrow the car fo a weekend to realize it).
On the other hand, bob_p is right that the car's ecosystem, first and foremost OTA update-ability, gives us great potential for having an evolving car that remedies these issues.
Let's hope that, someday, Tesla realizes this potential for us and keeps its focus as a car company from being distracted by shiny things.

Reactions: Mknac
Also 3-band EQ is that a limitation to the components they chose or lack of effort in programming?

+1 Really? All my previous cars (predominantly BMW) had full EQ. No reason not to. Cars are notoriously acoustically challenged (especially ICE noise), and 3 adjustments is woefully inadequate. Ever heard of parametric EQ? Come on engineers!

CarPlay looks like it would be a ton of integration effort to support the devices of a single company (Apple) and might also cause some confusion for some folks due to redundant capabilities between the phone and the car. It would be cool, but I can understand a smaller car company dragging their heels on implementing it. Apple also may have special hardware or software requirements that would be difficult for some manufacturers like Tesla to provide. That would be my speculation as to why it's not done and hasn't even been mentioned.

I had Microsoft Sync in my 2011 Mustang and it always worked fine, though indexing was slow. But the voice control was excellent. I used it with an iPod that stayed in and attached to the car.

I would like to see better smartphone integration, but there needs to be a standard interface that can work for all smartphone manufacturers. Maybe Bluetooth, but it's capabilities seem limited right now.