Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i said they can’t do a mass market pickup right now.

yeah i don’t mean they “cant” as in, aren’t able to...from a capability standpoint

they just have too many balls in the air.

they have to get engagement, and this “halo-type” truck will get early adopters who aren’t target demo for the cars or x or y

of course everyone jumped on the disagree, but that’s TMC

point is, they are still in growth phase and need to focus on the higher demo which is 3 and y

but meanwhile, this was opportunity to do the highly artistic, halo truck

same gameplan as s and x

who doesn’t get that?

the beauty of it is, and what really shows they are getting better at engineering and design, is that they are able to offer this specs at those prices.

2 years ago add 20k to each version

what hasn’t changed is the timeline.

well, they can’t do everything all the time

i’m overall pleased with it.

tempted to get one

media will crush it
eff them, they are pigs

time will tell

the real story here is the capability that their battery tech affords them.
but by the time the minority in media make this known through all the noise, the majors will actually believe their own bullshit, which gives tesla that much more a lead.

The aesthetics are a big issue but there's other things too.

Look at a shot of it on the road in the distance, it looks better... so possibly a few minor tweaks can improve the aesthetics..

If they can't change the shape perhaps paint can do the trick...

The shape may be partially to do with the way it is built or perhaps that is what they are looking for...

They said it has a hard exoskeleton.. so perhaps that material isn't easy to shape..but they could stick on some trim pieces, it is shipping late 2021 .. so I think they can add trim... but not make major redesign changes in that time-frame..

Reactions: davepsilon
WTB, 20" Sportwheels

Attachments

• cybertruck.jpg
    cybertruck.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 79
i said they can’t do a mass market pickup right now.

yeah i don’t mean they “cant” as in, aren’t able to...from a capability standpoint

the real story here is the capability that their battery tech affords them.
but by the time the minority in media make this known through all the noise, the majors will actually believe their own bullshit, which gives tesla that much more a lead.

Elon did warn us, I did expect Franz to make it look a bit better.... the specs are great they can work on the looks.

No one cares that cement trucks look ugly, because they do their job well....

I think your hunch is right. they are not targeting high volume production...

People missed the exoskeleton comment, look at insects with exoskeletons, they don't look like small birds...

Making it look more conventional, changes the functionality and price, I have little doubt about that.. or takes a lot of time...

If they stick with the exoskeleton approach making it look better will take time... and if they abandon it, the price will go up, and the specs probably diminish

I am afraid the polarizing looks are going to dominate the press about this vehicle. (My friends HATED it - I mostly do too. My wife and son have never loved anything more.)

Too bad, because the specs and price are great.

My biggest disappointment is the bed shape...it doesn't look like you can buy a topper or a camper that will fit it because of the sloping sides. Somebody will have to build something custom for the Tesla truck, and who knows how long that will take. I wish they'd offer that pop-up camper option from the picture above as an option...camping is the only reason we would consider a truck.

I am afraid the polarizing looks are going to dominate the press about this vehicle. (My friends HATED it - I mostly do too. My wife and son have never loved anything more.)

Too bad, because the specs and price are great.

My biggest disappointment is the bed shape...it doesn't look like you can buy a topper or a camper that will fit it because of the sloping sides. Somebody will have to build something custom for the Tesla truck, and who knows how long that will take. I wish they'd offer that pop-up camper option from the picture above as an option...camping is the only reason we would consider a truck.

Did you browse the website? It literally shows the camper top.

Here is an idea. Form a car company that will change the world. Make electric vehicles that look like a stylish ICE car, or even close to it.

Sell a lot of them, gain a loyal if sometimes mistreated following. Make money before anyone thinks you actually will. Then....

Let your ego get totally in the way, and make a pickup truck, pickup truck buyers are to my inexperienced marketing eye the most conservative and least likely of your early adopters, that is completely what a science fiction writer in the 60's would have a truck of the future look like.

Wonder why people are not flocking to them. Or....

Set your ego aside, make a truck that looks pretty much like any other truck but has all the cool things that make a Tesla a Tesla, stack the floor with batteries.

Wonder how you are ever going to fill the demand.

Just saying.

Here is an idea. Form a car company that will change the world. Make electric vehicles that look like a stylish ICE car, or even close to it.

Sell a lot of them, gain a loyal if sometimes mistreated following. Make money before anyone thinks you actually will. Then....

Let your ego get totally in the way, and make a pickup truck, pickup truck buyers are to my inexperienced marketing eye the most conservative and least likely of your early adopters, that is completely what a science fiction writer in the 60's would have a truck of the future look like.

Wonder why people are not flocking to them. Or....

Set your ego aside, make a truck that looks pretty much like any other truck but has all the cool things that make a Tesla a Tesla, stack the floor with batteries.

Wonder how you are ever going to fill the demand.

Just saying.

I understand why people don't like the look, but if it was as easy as you suggest, that is what they would have done... we don't know what that would mean in terms of cost and time-frame.

Tesla probably intends to use these as mobile service vans, and Space-X probably intends to use them on Mars....

They may make a more conventional model later, but this design is probably ideal for Mars...

IMO it is very obvious while it looks the way it does, the exoskeleton panels can't be stamped, hence with an exoskeleton it can't look like a conventional pickup...

I think they can improve the look by adding on some trim, at a marginal loss of efficiency.

So they question you need to ask is - Why exoskeleton? The base price probably answers that question.

This thing checks off so many boxes for a truck that I actually use.

1. I actually had to pull out my air compressor (motorcycle Aerostitch pump) tonight because I did a tire swap and the pressure was low. For those who actually do go off road with motorcycles and other vehicles, we air down for loose / sandy and air up when we hit the road.

2. The ground clearance is great. When you live in snow country, getting high centered is an actual concern. 6" is good, 10" is better. But what they're showing here ...

3. Approach and departure angles do matter when you go off road. You're getting around boulders and while turning, it's easy enough to bang going forward. My rear bumper has a nice scrape in it from backing up and not seeing a particular rock.

4. Straight panels are easier to fix than complex curves. Steel is easier to bang out (think panniers) than aluminum, and you can weld steel in the field. Part of the high cost of replacement parts in the Teslas are because they're aluminum and simply not being outsourced, you can JB weld steel, rivet it or use machine screws and get where you're going.

4. More on the body, when you go to Home Depot and park in the Pro's portion, the other contractors often DGAF about how they park, back up or load. Same when you go to a job site.

5. Air suspension is great, often having a higher payload than the GAWR (axle weight rating) often conveys. The limiting factor is often the tires. Auto-leveling suspension stops your headlights from doing the search for UFO's when loaded up.

6. Payload matters. When you're picking up a pallet of energy logs (240 logs, 8 lbs each) you'll easy blow past the payload of many vehicles. The same applies when you're moving pavers. This payload covers everything I need to do.

7. Range. Go from Tahoe to Fremont and you're looking at 250 miles. Add in cold weather and you're already risking not getting back unless you want to stop at the Supercharger in Placerville (presuming PG&E doesn't take the town off the grid). With this range, you can make it there and nearly all the way back. This is simply phenomenal range.

8. A 250V outlet?!? Charge up your other Tesla's or hook it into a transfer switch at your home and when PG&E does kill your power in CA, you can at least not only open your garage door, but power nearly everything in your home. All of my contractor gear though runs off of a 110V with the largest draws being 15A (saws), but I can imagine those who weld needing the higher amperage & voltage.

The concerns?

As someone mentioned above, hooking up a 5th wheel may not work due to the sides (okay, won't work). In certain cases (Ram's with the Ram boxes) you not only have a high bed to contend with, but need to a sliding hitch (Superglide) in which to be able to turn adequately. The angle of the bed here is simply not going to allow a fifth wheel hookup even though it appears you have the payload.

Not sure what the wheel base is. If you're towing, a longer wheel base will invite stability. Of course "training wheels" help in high wind conditions as well, and no one is going to be able to get a camper (Lance, Bigfoot, Arctic Fox) onto this thing, no way no how. So you're stuck with glamping or a Tepui tent. But a longer wheel base does make it harder to take that U-turn in an intersection, now if the rear wheels had a couple degrees of turn as well...

Does the rear window row down? Great when you have a long piece of wood, want to throw the dog back there, or air out the cab. The Tundra has a full rear window roll down option which is far better than the little windows others have.

Tie downs in the back? If you have a dirt bike (or three), multiple tie down options are critical.

Bed extenders ... presuming you can get the rear tail gate to fold level to the bed. With tie downs, you can use straps like a normal pick-em-up truck.

Wheel size ... if you could get some good 19" rims, steel Ricksons ...