Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but we’ve all but given up on the CyberTruck as a practical tow vehicle, for obvious reasons.

But we had to do something. Our 2011 Ford Flex tow vehicle was starting to have issues, most notably needing a new transmission. Could not trust it as it was, and not economically feasible to patch it up.

So, we ended up buying a used 2022 Toyota Tundra, trading in the Flex.

53445553525_c9fac35412_z.jpg

Sucks to be into another ICE vehicle, but the delta between the $42k we paid and what a Foundation AWD would cost would pay for an enormous amount of gas and oil. Also consolidate, because we’re also selling our 2006 Ridgeline beater.

I still think the CyberTruck is cool, and there may be one in our future. Just doesn’t make sense for us right now.
@FastEddieB Nice truck. Heads up, FYI purposes only: my brother drives all sorts of vehicles for a wholesaler and he has always told me the worst gas mileage on any of the large pickup trucks he moves from the auction sites to various distribution centers is on the Tundra.

Reactions: CyberShy
@FastEddieB Nice truck. Heads up, FYI purposes only: my brother drives all sorts of vehicles for a wholesaler and he has always told me the worst gas mileage on any of the large pickup trucks he moves from the auction sites to various distribution centers is on the Tundra.
Toyota controversially switched the Tundra from a V8 to a twin turbo V6 in 2022. But a plus is the highway mileage went from 17 to 22 mpg. Both are probably optimistic. Our Flex was also a twin turbo V6 of comparable displacement. It would get about 22 mpg unladen, and in the vicinity of 11 mpg towing our 21’ travel trailer. Hoping the Tundra does similarly.

28305658343_599fa9d833_z.jpg

Reactions: navguy12 and kabin
I've noticed that annoying electric motor hum whenever the CT tows a load. Other reviewers mentioned it as well. Sounds like this one in particular may have had even more noise? It would be interesting to know how the interior dB sound level compares to other pickups when towing. Might need to wait for the TFL guys to get their CT.

The range is tough to compare with the Rivian and F150EV given the cold weather but 90 miles on a full charge while needing to slow to 40mph on the freeway isn't a viable 10.4k lb tow vehicle in my book.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
I've noticed that annoying electric motor hum whenever the CT tows a load. Other reviewers mentioned it as well. Sounds like this one in particular may have had even more noise? It would be interesting to know how the interior dB sound level compares to other pickups when towing. Might need to wait for the TFL guys to get their CT.

The range is tough to compare with the Rivian and F150EV given the cold weather but 90 miles on a full charge while needing to slow to 40mph on the freeway isn't a viable 10.4k lb tow vehicle in my book.
Kyle and this reviewer heard that noise without towing on the interstate. I think it's the tires, but the Rivian test was done with the same exact temperature.

• Helpful
Reactions: Doggydogworld
I just saw a CT towing video and was shocked they were going at 65mph speed!? - They come and take your license if you are towing over 49.7mph (80kmph) here i Europe.
Where I live, if you are only going 65 mph, you're being passed by all the trucks and trailers. Typically they drive 70-75 mph. (speed limits here are 70-85 mph).

• Informative
Reactions: SwTslaGrl
I'm concerned by them saying CT will be delivered this year on the order page. I've had my order in for 4 years and I'm certain I'm not getting mine this year so how the heck can they state that? I cut Elon slack on "Elon time" because I know he means it but everyone at Tesla knows they can't meet that promise so why are they making it?

Am I missing something here?
It looks like "what I'm missing" is new orders are jumping to the front of the line.

I heard people who placed orders in December are already getting assigned VINs.. I don't get this rationale. To me, the logical approach is to go right through the list of reservation holders and offer the Foundation series working their way to new orders. The only reason to start with new orders would be to avoid having to weed through people saying "no thanks, I'll wait for the regular CT". Would Tesla really be this lazy, shallow, and disloyal to the long term reservation holders?

Tesla has shown a clear bias toward the Mission over any type of fairness but I have a hard time seeing how this maneuver helps the mission. Do they figure long term holders are either already pissed off or are fine with waiting, so they favor making new people happy? Does anyone have an explanation that makes sense? Don't be shy, I'll listen to ideas that don't make sense too.

Reactions: phantasms
It looks like "what I'm missing" is new orders are jumping to the front of the line.

I heard people who placed orders in December are already getting assigned VINs.. I don't get this rationale. To me, the logical approach is to go right through the list of reservation holders and offer the Foundation series working their way to new orders. The only reason to start with new orders would be to avoid having to weed through people saying "no thanks, I'll wait for the regular CT". Would Tesla really be this lazy, shallow, and disloyal to the long term reservation holders?

Tesla has shown a clear bias toward the Mission over any type of fairness but I have a hard time seeing how this maneuver helps the mission. Do they figure long term holders are either already pissed off or are fine with waiting, so they favor making new people happy? Does anyone have an explanation that makes sense? Don't be shy, I'll listen to ideas that don't make sense too.
When you say "orders in December" do you mean you have seen people with no previous reservation who ordered, or people with a reservation from 3 years ago who were allowed to place an order in December? I was a first day reservation holder who had the opportunity to place an order (with a $1,000 order fee) in December but I'm sticking with the tri-motor so no vin yet and probably not until June.

Reactions: cusetownusa
When you say "orders in December" do you mean you have seen people with no previous reservation who ordered, or people with a reservation from 3 years ago who were allowed to place an order in December? I was a first day reservation holder who had the opportunity to place an order (with a $1,000 order fee) in December but I'm sticking with the tri-motor so no vin yet and probably not until June.
I'm going by what I heard in this YT video (sorry, no time stamp). Let me know how you interpret it. I took it to be a new order placed in December but I could be wrong, it could be someone who had the same opportunity you had.

I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but we’ve all but given up on the CyberTruck as a practical tow vehicle, for obvious reasons.

But we had to do something. Our 2011 Ford Flex tow vehicle was starting to have issues, most notably needing a new transmission. Could not trust it as it was, and not economically feasible to patch it up.

So, we ended up buying a used 2022 Toyota Tundra, trading in the Flex.

53445553525_c9fac35412_z.jpg

Sucks to be into another ICE vehicle, but the delta between the $42k we paid and what a Foundation AWD would cost would pay for an enormous amount of gas and oil. Also consolidate, because we’re also selling our 2006 Ridgeline beater.

I still think the CyberTruck is cool, and there may be one in our future. Just doesn’t make sense for us right now.
Good looking Truck

New reservations have a higher chance of changing their mind. If Tesla makes a new reservation wait a year they might just buy another car. People who have been in line for years might even be more likely to buy if you make them wait another year. It increases the perceived scarcity and they’ll have more time to save up the money. Just a guess.
I’m still convinced you’ll be able to order a cybertruck this year.

Yeah I tend to agree, it wouldn't surprise me to see them settle on the 800v architecture going forward... while the contactors necessary are an added expense, as you say the smaller conductors in the car, not having additional SKU's for inverters, chargers[1], etc... could likely make up for it.

[1] Speaking of which, does anybody know about the CT on-board charger? What it's input current rating are, and/or if it's an 800v unit or the pack reconfigures itself for 400v chargning?
Interesting question. I expect the charger can operate at both voltages, but normally runs at 800V for efficiency.