Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1677621735290.png

With them only delivering ~8k vehicles in Q4, that works out to a gross loss of ~$124k/vehicle, so some improvement as they scale. It sounds like losses are expected to continue into late 2024, when they might shift to making a gross profit on vehicles sold. (It seems a big drag on them right now is purchase commitments that they made, but they weren't able to ramp fast enough to use all of those parts, so they have to buy, and store, them or pay penalties for taking fewer than they committed to.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Doggydogworld
Yes, RJ says they expect to be profitable for 2024.

I would be shocked if that happened.

They would be profitable selling ~100k premium priced vehicles plus whatever Amazon vans they sell.
Aren’t they projecting 50K vehicles this year (Double 2022). Next year would presumably be 100K vehicles. Certainly their factory can produce that. But yes, I agree that profitable in 2024 would be a stretch goal and unlikely.

Aren’t they projecting 50K vehicles this year (Double 2022). Next year would presumably be 100K vehicles. Certainly their factory can produce that. But yes, I agree that profitable in 2024 would be a stretch goal and unlikely.
Yes,

50k R1T and R1S for 2023
~100k R1T and R1S for 2024.

Capacity in Illinois is supposedly 150k R1S and R1T. So capacity utilization is only 66% which is not rolling in dough for most auto factories.

Rivian is expecting to break ground soon on Georgia factory with capacity for 400k-500k units. And is looking for a European factory site.

Even if Illinois is making money, the Georgia factory should be in construction or starting ramp up in 2024. In any case consuming large amounts of cash. Or maybe Rivian decided to slow their roll in Georgia.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Reports that Rivian is nerfing performance on top speed in their latest firmware update:

Rumors are that it could be because of too many drive unit failures.

Could be part of why they are working on switching to motors they have designed themselves, instead of the outsourced ones that they have been using.
If you read the replies to the tweet, people have tested and it looks like no change.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
What’s with all these EV car companies? Never up front with the real facts/truth !
Bottom line “Greed” Cutting corners, for bigger profit. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Easy there conspiracy theorist. Unless you have proof to the contrary, this could be just a simple new bug introduction that was un-intended. They did immediately admit it and are planning a fix. That kind of response doesn't support a "greed" narrative.

That was the point, huge cost for minor damage.
I was summarizing that the huge cost had little to do with the collision damage itself.
Anything that requires a repaint would cost a lot. Keyed, dented, scratched. Conversely, forgoing factory repaint instructions can save tens of thousands, i.e. a wrap or slightlymiss matched paint could save an owner tons of $$$.

Reactions: mspohr