Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All US Cars capable of FSD will be enabled for one month trial this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't read through this entire thread, but I got the trial and whoa am I impressed? Hell yeah. TBH this trial may trigger me to pay the 15K for FSD. Its unbelievable smooth and careful. in fact in a parking lot, the vehicle came to a halt at a pedestrian crossing and I wondered why. turns out there was indeed a pedestrian waiting to cross, that I had not seen . It even slows down for speed breakers in the parking lot.

I am thoroughly impressed. But 15K is still a bit too much. Decisions decisions decisions to be made.

There is no way to be impressed by this.

My first test was with my wife in the car. Had to turn it off after 30 seconds.

She's easily triggered by mildly aggressive acceleration, etc. I mean not driving like an old man - which is what I need to do.

Anyway, put in our destination and going through some neighborhood 25 MPH streets with a few stop signs. It completed a stop, then floored it (seemingly) to race to the next one. I had to turn it off.

She's easily triggered by mildly aggressive acceleration, etc. I mean not driving like an old man - which is what I need to do.

Anyway, put in our destination and going through some neighborhood 25 MPH streets with a few stop signs. It completed a stop, then floored it (seemingly) to race to the next one. I had to turn it off.
My wife also noticed how quickly it got to 25 mph on our block…but it stopped correctly at all stop signs and appeared quite diligent looking for cars/people before proceeding

Is there a reason why you want your Tesla vehicle to be at a down rev of the software / firmware?
Not the OP but sticking to 2023.44.1 as well for a few reasons:
  • I refuse to let a vehicle I paid for ban me from AP after "5 strikes" that can include system glitches
  • AP on city streets nags a lot more on all the post NHTSA recall versions (anything after 2023.44.1)
And that's about it. I'm currently using AP with the TSL6 anti-nag chip and it works a lot better on freeways and backroads than FSD. I can go hands free for at least 10 miles at a time without having to worry about "torquing the steering wheel correctly" and the camera doesn't freak out and give me an AP strike if my eyes aren't perfectly ahead 100% of the time :cool:

Reactions: GeoX750 and gt2690b
Not the OP but sticking to 2023.44.1 as well for a few reasons:
  • I refuse to let a vehicle I paid for ban me from AP after "5 strikes" that can include system glitches
  • AP on city streets nags a lot more on all the post NHTSA recall versions (anything after 2023.44.1)
And that's about it. I'm currently using AP with the TSL6 anti-nag chip and it works a lot better on freeways and backroads than FSD. I can go hands free for at least 10 miles at a time without having to worry about "torquing the steering wheel correctly" and the camera doesn't freak out and give me an AP strike if my eyes aren't perfectly ahead 100% of the time :cool:
You aren’t going to win this one…

Try changing the acceleration mode to chill. I have seen very smooth acceleration on my car, but I set it to chill always.

So I racked up 150 miles of driving on FSD v12.3.3 yesterday, mostly minor roads and town driving but some highway too, and man am I impressed. It was nearly flawless honestly. Navigated four roundabouts perfectly but it messed up a fifth one when it moved into the median to approach the roundabout, I had to take over as the median stopped in a raised concrete section. Also had one disengagement when it was being way too cautious on a hilly country road, it kept slowing down far too much and traffic was backing up behind me. It was navigating fine, I just wanted it to go faster.

But that's it, two disengagement in 150 miles of mixed driving. I really expected it to be worse than that. More importantly it drove WELL, navigating intersections with stop signs and traffic lights flawlessly, changing lanes on the highway logically, it was impressive. My biggest complaint is its too cautious, it often didn't seem to want to go over the speed limit on back roads even when the roads could easily be driven 5mph over the limit.

I wish I could turn the nags off completely, that's probably my biggest beef right now with FSD v12.3.3.

Used FSD for the first time ever yesterday. So many things about it were impressive. But my overall impression so far is I'd never pay for it. If Canada had subscription then I'd subscribe for one month out of the year for a long 9hr road trip I do in the summer just to be able to make lane changes without it cancelling AP.
The things that annoyed me were it driving with one tire off onto the dirt shoulder (riddled with rim damaging pot holes) on paved country roads (with no lane markings. AutoSpeed taking a blind crest of a very steep hill at 10km/h over the speed limit and almost hitting the concrete barriers to the right (probably would have if I didn't take over but no way to know for sure as I wasn't about to find out). Also just how it stops so far back at stop signs and then creeps so slowly in up to the actual cross road which is typically slightly ahead of the stop sign placement.

I was impressed how it was able to turn left off of a highway onto a side rd and did a u-turn to get me back on the highway going the other direction.
It navigated a single-lane roundabout perfectly. I got it to activate Autopark once but it wouldn't do it on another half dozen spots right next to the one is did work on...not sure why? Summon tried to drive into a tree LOL

I will say that wearing sunglasses greatly cuts down on the amount of nags.

I'll have fun playing with it for the 30 days but Elon ain't getting any money out of me for it after that unless he gives me that monthly subscription option.

Did you try setting it to chill?

I had set it to Chill. Maybe it didn't stick as I was already driving when I changed the mode.

Found out that there is a separate chill / average / assertive setting for FSDS that supposedly affects following distance and tendency to want to change lanes to pass.

But did notice that FSDS is not strict about obeying traffic laws. Sometimes, when the speed limit is reduced, it does not reduce speed to match (when driving with the speed set to the previous speed limit). It also does not make right turns properly in some cases (where I am, must be made as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge, but it swung wide into the non-right lane when it could have gone into the right lane). The following distance in average mode also seems too close.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
It accelerates harder than I prefer from lights
I'm on "average" for its mood and I found this as well.

It also stops too far back from intersections if there is not a clear white line. If there is a white line it's good, else it hangs really far back.

I find it drives like somebody on a driving test. This is not terrible. I remain very impressed with the few drives I've done. Absolutely not perfect, but not bad so far. It is challenged on one-way bridges/tunnels, though--the kind where cars need to take turns going.

This is good enough now that I'd consider paying for it for a month if I had a road-trip on the highway, and I'm no longer such a negative nancy about its future, but it does need improvements. I'm daring to think that maybe I was wrong when I said they'd never get FSD in this hardware package. We'll see, though.