Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All US Cars capable of FSD will be enabled for one month trial this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a 300 mile round trip yesterday. I had to disengage FSD(S) multiple times, mostly for minor reasons, but one time it tried to change lanes in heavy stop & go freeway traffic with very low gap between two cars. Sadly I could not provide feedback at that disengagement.

But other trivial disengagements were in interesting scenarios.

1. FSD(S) is very aggressive in not being in the left lane. On a freeway with two lanes, its always very happy to be on the right most lane (as it should be). But in a 3 lane freeway, it mostly prefers the middle lane. However, my goal was to be in the left most lane which is a carpool lane. But FSD somehow does not realize its a carpool lane and kept trying to get me to the center or righter lanes.
2. In a couple of places, when the speed limit changed due to construction later in the night, FSD(S) would just drop my speed from 70 to 55, when the traffic was flowing at >70. This got me a couple of honks due to the abrupt slowdown in a center lane.
3. In at least one case, FSD(S) was too late to shift to the right lane and with just about a quarter mile to the exit, i had to take control.

But otherwise its been great. I like that its very cautious at stop signs and very humanlike by creeping forward after a stop sign and then accelerating. I have acceleration set to chill, so I did not see any of the hard acceleration that many complained about.
I appreciate your post but it's NOT GREAT when FSD does the negative things you write - and I believe most of us have experienced. There is NOTHING great about creating serious safety issues, accidents and putting others at risk on the road.

This was a big WTF day for me. I got the email about FSD trial but could never have imagined this was not an opt in. I thought I was putting my car in TA cruise control, as usual, and had NO idea the damn car was going to be in FSD without my knowledge or consent in heavy traffic. I'm not young and no need to live dangerously. This should have been an OPT IN feature, not something done without my consent or knowledge. I immediately took it out of "TACC" and tried again thinking I must have pressed the right stalk incorrectly. I've owned this car long enough to realize Tesla has forced another bad control-freak "feature" on me. No doubt this won't be a popular post. I'm ready to post to my local neighborhood to beware of Teslas in this next month. No Full Suicide Driving for me at this point. When the software folks can fix basic stuff (chime on green light correct, windshield wipers off in sunny weather and on in rain, phantom braking, auto-steer keeping my on the freeway and in a lane to name a few major problems) then might consider FSD. UNTIL THEN the general public should be warned!

You have to press the FSD button in the Autopilot screen and agree to things. It isn't an automatic opt-in.

1702786166253-png.1000232

The point of ideal FSD is that you shouldn't have to have great reaction time. That's the point of it if it ever actually works but it is so very, very far off the mark at this point. So many Tesla folks, especially on this forum, have drunk the koolaid.

Yes, but that's why the current release explicitly has the word "Beta" or "Supervised" in it.
It's sort of like seeing a "wet paint" sign.

Yes, but that's why the current release explicitly has the word "Beta" or "Supervised" in it.
It's sort of like seeing a "wet paint" sign.
Except nowhere does Tesla use the term "supervised" anywhere on screen or in the docs. They do use "beta" however.

You know what else is in Beta in Tesla land? Auto wipers and lane keeping as you can see above. For the last decade.

So yeah, it tells you that it's very, very far away.

This was a big WTF day for me. I got the email about FSD trial but could never have imagined this was not an opt in. I thought I was putting my car in TA cruise control, as usual, and had NO idea the damn car was going to be in FSD without my knowledge or consent in heavy traffic. I'm not young and no need to live dangerously. This should have been an OPT IN feature, not something done without my consent or knowledge. I immediately took it out of "TACC" and tried again thinking I must have pressed the right stalk incorrectly. I've owned this car long enough to realize Tesla has forced another bad control-freak "feature" on me. No doubt this won't be a popular post. I'm ready to post to my local neighborhood to beware of Teslas in this next month. No Full Suicide Driving for me at this point. When the software folks can fix basic stuff (chime on green light correct, windshield wipers off in sunny weather and on in rain, phantom braking, auto-steer keeping my on the freeway and in a lane to name a few major problems) then might consider FSD. UNTIL THEN the general public should be warned!
You lost me/us. You have to intentionally “turn on” FSD and/or Autosteer in the sub-menus before use… no way this actually occurred without you acknowledging the disclaimers/warnings for FSD/Autosteer first and then hitting the stalk.

Reactions: timeshifter
You lost me/us. You have to intentionally “turn on” FSD and/or Autosteer in the sub-menus before use… no way this actually occurred without you acknowledging the disclaimers/warnings for FSD/Autosteer first and then hitting the stalk.

AND if you have a model Y you actually have to scroll the warning screen to get to one of the checkboxes in order to enable the "Yes" button.

One has to learn how to use this feature.

15 years ago the question was how much time the driver would have to react if the car hands over control in a case it can't handle. Now I see the bigger issue is grabbing control before the car does something bad or when the car does something risky. So you have to be a driving instructor with a learned ability to guess what the student car is going to do.

Not a good idea to eat while driving.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Except nowhere does Tesla use the term "supervised" anywhere on screen or in the docs. They do use "beta" however.

You know what else is in Beta in Tesla land? Auto wipers and lane keeping as you can see above. For the last decade.

So yeah, it tells you that it's very, very far away.

LOL! I can imagine what "encouragement" you'd be yelling at the Wright brothers if you were at Kitty Hawk watching them.

Last edited:
When you disengage FSD, it gives you a prompt to send a 10-second voice message to Tesla letting them know why you did that. First time that happened I didn't see the prompt in time to do that. Today I disengaged once and was able to send the message. Todays disengagement was because I already arrived at my destination (SBUX) and needed to negotiate the drive through.

Pretty cool that Tesla is almost certainly supplementing their database of real world and simulated driving scenarios with what are likely thousands of daily disengagements. Going to make the FSD learning curve take a major turn up with massive user input. Sheer genius :)

RT

When you disengage FSD, it gives you a prompt to send a 10-second voice message to Tesla letting them know why you did that. First time that happened I didn't see the prompt in time to do that. Today I disengaged once and was able to send the message. Todays disengagement was because I already arrived at my destination (SBUX) and needed to negotiate the drive through.

Pretty cool that Tesla is almost certainly supplementing their database of real world and simulated driving scenarios with what are likely thousands of daily disengagements. Going to make the FSD learning curve take a major turn up with massive user input. Sheer genius :)

RT
Thousands? I'd bet on millions of daily disengagements. Like you I have to disengage it every time I get to my driveway as it still thinks it has to drive a few more meters past my driveway to be at my Home destination. Not to mention the countless other times I have to disengage during any drive because it is either too slow, too fast or about to curb my wheels.

Tried it out today on the way home in the loaner. Never having used it before and having low expectations, I was seriously impressed. It drove like a conservative human and even did some "no way a computer would know to do that!" stuff. Worth $12k? Hell no. Not yet anyway. But definitely more interesting and appealing than it was.

Good point on them dangerously changing car behavior with just an email notice.