Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AM & FM Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, I’d rather have SXM than AM.
The only reason I say that is most AM stations in my local area are simulcast on digital FM sub-channels. The only provision I see currently for listening for SXM in my car is to use the streaming app on my phone. For 15-30 minutes to an hour at a time, probably not a huge deal, but on a longer road trip, it could potentially eat up a lot of data! I'm already paying for the service, I don't think I should have to pay for the data on top of it.

Not my experience at all. I have no problem receiving AM. Weak stations, of course there is static. But in the LA/OC/SD metro areas, AM is perfectly usable in my '15 MS70D.
I have the opposite experience with my 70. Anywhere near power lines only KFI is clear enough to hear. Even my 1999 Econoline van had much better reception; our Lexus has no problems in areas where the MS reception is awful.

Anywhere near power lines only KFI is clear enough to hear.
That has nothing to do with RFI from the car, which is the only logical reason proffered for the omission in the M3 (and MX). Immediately under high voltage power lines, all AM is negatively affected. But perhaps the orientation of the antenna in the MS (horizontal) picks up more of the RFI in that case, where your van and Lexus have antennas more vertically oriented.

That has nothing to do with RFI from the car, which is the only logical reason proffered for the omission in the M3 (and MX). Immediately under high voltage power lines, all AM is negatively affected. But perhaps the orientation of the antenna in the MS (horizontal) picks up more of the RFI in that case, where your van and Lexus have antennas more vertically oriented.
I didn't realize that RFI from the car was the excuse for not offering AM radio. I was only reacting to your post suggesting that you experience no AM reception problem. Perhaps you listen to stations with stronger signals than my favorites have.

I do hear minor RFI from the motor sometimes under strong acceleration, but I usually don't notice it.

I think you are right about the antennas in other cars. The van has an old-fashioned vertical mast antenna; the Lexus uses a "shark fin" on the roof, something, I have heard, that Elon would not allow on MS for esthetic reasons.

I didn't realize that RFI from the car was the excuse for not offering AM radio. I was only reacting to your post suggesting that you experience no AM reception problem. Perhaps you listen to stations with stronger signals than my favorites have.

I do hear minor RFI from the motor sometimes under strong acceleration, but I usually don't notice it.

I think you are right about the antennas in other cars. The van has an old-fashioned vertical mast antenna; the Lexus uses a "shark fin" on the roof, something, I have heard, that Elon would not allow on MS for esthetic reasons.
I listen to AM 830 for Ducks games, 570 for Dodgers games (don't judge my allegiances :)), and other AM stations when UCLA games are broadcast. All of these come in fine in Irvine. AM 830 is a bit scratchy up in the Pomona valley area where I work, but absolutely listenable for sports.

I listen to AM 830 for Ducks games, 570 for Dodgers games (don't judge my allegiances :)), and other AM stations when UCLA games are broadcast. All of these come in fine in Irvine. AM 830 is a bit scratchy up in the Pomona valley area where I work, but absolutely listenable for sports.
Check to see if those stations simulcast on an HD FM sub-channel. I was pretty concerned about the lack of AM radio because of the local sports channel here until I found out they do this. Problem solved.

Good new from all those previous posts commenting about the possibility of no AM radio. A clip from the recently released Model 3 Manual PDF (Last sentence)

Hoot Hoot!

NO mention of XM...booooo

"Touch the Media Player application to listen to
Internet radio, stream music or podcasts (if
available), or play audio files from a Bluetooth
or USB-connected device. You can also play
AM and FM radio."
So to get AM radio, you need to receive it on a Bluetooth device that is paired with the M3 correct?

When I move back to Los Angeles, being able to listen to KFI AM640 is as much of a requirement for me as adding a Sirius receiver for Howard Stern. To fix the AM radio problem, all we need to do is put the Model 3 on a car lift, and duct tape some aluminum foil all around the motor. Solved.