Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazed at all the 'disappointment ' threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did we find out...

How the key card entry works?
How the new ventilation system works?
Frunk size? Trunk opening?
Final cd figures (0.23 vs target 0.21) limitations?
Battery sizes?
Motor power?
Exterior changes to nose/other elements?
If rear windows go all the way down into door?
If interior touchscreen is adjustable at all?
What Elon meant for spaceship controls?
What "something special" he had for early reservation holders and line waiters?
And the list goes on.

The answer is no to all of the above. Give us more substance Elon. I would consider myself a big supporter of the likes of Apple, Tesla, (and Fisker) etc but not to the point of blinding fandom - true supporters (and patriots) can not only herald and sing the praises but also provide objective criticism when promises fall short.

In the motor trend article about the Tesla 3 that was released today, they did admit to softening the nose some which I found interesting.

0-60s times are a joke and the base battery less than the Bolt.

Plus the event itself was atrocious - no pomp and circumstance like the S and X deliveries, no shots of the interior, basically no info at all. This raises the question of whether or not this was a faux delivery event to make good on his July delivery deadline.

Car isn't ready for prime time yet which is a shame. I'll keep my reservation but cmon Elon, exceed expectations. The car is 1,000lbs lighter than an S and has better aero... 0-60 should easily be under 5s. Also base range should be at least 240 miles to beat Bolt. I want more Steve Jobs and less Tim Cook.

What do you do for a living and what's your education?

Here are some numbers:

Model 3:

$35K

Extra range:
$9K

Premium color:
$1K

Premium package:
$5K

Enhanced autopilot:
$5K

Total: $55K

AWD version:
Probably + $5K

Total with AWD version in 2018:
$60K

No free charging so road trips charging cost after 10 years:
$3K.

Since AWD is next year, tax credit is probably 1/2.

So all in all I think the car is a $60K + tax registration etc. car with less features than the current model S. But range will probably be like 330 miles with the AWD version.

Now compared to an inventory 90D they had heavily discounted lately with a lot of features not in the model 3 like hepa filter and air suspension, hatchback, lighted doors handles self presenting, bigger car, headlights, pano roof, etc. I think some were in the low,/mid $90K.

But you get free supercharging with referral and guaranteed $7.5K tax credit rebate if you qualify. Combined you are looking at $10K discount.

So it will be low/mid $80K car.

Compared to the model 3, I think those extra features definitely is worth the extra $20K if you keep the car for a long time. However you max range will be 294 miles vs probably 330 of the model 3. But I think in the end it is a small cost for all the extra things you are getting in the model s over the model 3.

So yes I am in the camp of disappointed about the model hand off event.

Did we find out...

Battery sizes?
Motor power?
And the list goes on.
Do any of these actually matter?

How does the card entry work? Like every card entry in history.
Drag figures? Seriously?
Frunk size and trunk size has already been given
Does the range say 75khw left, 74khw left, or does it say miles? How big is the battery? Technicality that people only care about in guessing how far the thing will go on a charge. Which was on slide #1.

You seriously wanted Elon to go over every minutiae for 3 hours, showing us everything little thing the buttons on the steering will do.

That's why they had the press event, so people can go look at one of the 20 articles that explain most of these things.

Unfortunately all the cars shown were the $59,000 model not the $35k model

How does that price point meet an affordable vehicle for the masses? 9K for a larger battery is ridiculously expensive as well as the pricing of the other options. I have a reservation but am seriously thinking about waiting a few years and getting a used Model S that has autopilot 2.0. In my opinion, a "loaded" M3 would've been a good buy at 50K but almost 60K, not so sure.

Did we find out...

Battery sizes?
Motor power?
And the list goes on.

The answer is no to all of the above. Give us more substance Elon. I would consider myself a big supporter of the likes of Apple, Tesla, (and Fisker) etc but not to the point of blinding fandom - true supporters (and patriots) can not only herald and sing the praises but also provide objective criticism when promises fall short.
I agree here... I was hoping for more info... Just FYI - so I rode in the back seat and adjusted the window myself... It does go all the way down into the door.

"How the key card entry works?"

I read that the card is for valets.
No more Fob, now functions are through a smartphone.

Awwwwwwesome
And as someone with no smart phone and no desire to have one or lug one around, that's a deal breaker for me. I'll see what develops around possible alternatives, but if that's the final word then I'm out, sadly.

Did we find out...

Battery sizes?
Motor power?
And the list goes on.

I would love to understand how anyone could disagree with the above.

Read the articles that were released today. Watch the YouTube videos of people riding in the Model 3 today. Most of your questions will be answered.

If you thought you were going to get a "deep dive" on the nitty gritty details of the Model 3 during a "handover party", your expectations for such an event were too high. Unless I was one of the 30 lucky recipients today, I wouldn't have expected anyone, much less Elon on stage, to do a walk-through of all the features of the car.

Not all the features. But absolutely Elon could have discussed the major features in depth. Why is this such a horrible thing to point out? Gee, I think everyone for the most part is impressed with the car we just wanted more substance and less window dressing.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture

Drag figures? Seriously?
Does the range say 75khw left, 74khw left, or does it say miles? How big is the battery? Technicality that people only care about in guessing how far the thing will go on a charge. Which was on slide #1.

You seriously wanted Elon to go over every minutiae for 3 hours, showing us everything little thing the buttons on the steering will do.

That's why they had the press event, so people can go look at one of the 20 articles that explain most of these things.

No. 1 hour on the main things would have been fine. I didn't care about the challenges of supply chain management. Every car manufacturer has that problem. We knew the basics. We wanted the specifics.

I will have to agree with the disappointment. For those who a year ago were saying Tesla could never produce a model 3 and that they would never deliver a Model 3 until at least 2018 it must be a big disappointment seeing 30 of them being delivered mid 2017.

That's not where the disappointment comes from. Tesla did great on the schedule and the car. It's the lack of specific technical details.

Drag figures? Seriously?

I wanted Elon to do what he did for the Model S and X production reveal. Why not?

No fed tax rebate in this country and province.

tell me about it. The mericans get a cheaper price for the car to start with (as everywhere else in the world there will be a 20-40% mockup) and then also a rediculous tax rabate on top. they will end up paying 50% less than elsewhere.

edit: people are not mad at the model 3 they are mad at the really crappy event which basically showed nothing and discussed nothing.

Are you really?

Fools on here have been talking about the large Model 3 battery being 100kWh and 400+ miles for a year. They've been talking about the battery upgrade only costing $5k. They've said the base 3 will have 240+ miles range, and that the top 3 will be around 3 seconds 0-60.

LOLZ

I tried to tell people (I won't name names yet. The only thing I was hoping for was a HUD, which was shot down awhile back).

The performance specs haven't been released yet. 3 seconds isn't happening, but mid-high 4's is well within reach.