Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who wants amber turn signals on their Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While we're talking about turn signal characteristics that the Europeans enjoy but we Americans do not, I would like to put in a plug for the turn signal stalk being able to register a slight up or down which makes the turn signal blink 3 times and stop. I had my current car re-programmed and it now allows me to do this and I love it. Which is funny to say about a turn signal. But the ability on the highway to give a light tap and signal a lane change without having to then manually turn the signal stalk back into the unblinking position is a simple but very nice touch.
I suppose you're aware that the Roadster already has a momentary switch on the turn signal stalk that will not lock in place. You can signal as long as you want and then just let go. I'm quite certain that the Model S will be able to signal a turn without the stalk being locked on to that signal.

In other words, you should not be forced to manually turn the signal stalk back to the unblinking position.

I agree with Doug, I prefer to be in control of the duration. If I make a slower lane change, I might want 4 blinks. When there's nobody around, I may only allow 1 blink just to satisfy a State Trooper who wants to issue a ticket to the only driver on the road in the middle of the night...

Well in that case, for both of you guys you can just put the regular turn signals on. What you're describing in the roadster though is akin to what I was doing in the mini and is not the lane change signal we are talking about. This is a simple tap to get 3 blinks. I often hear people scoff at the idea, but most end up liking it in practice, and those who don't aren't inconvenienced by it being there.

My take has always been that it was a test fixture - temporarily put on that chassis to test the wiring harness....

The white car always made me think their intent was amber. Why would they not just put two red lenses in the test fixture? The black one even confirms it. They are thinking two color. The light pipe is the anomaly and certainly not a final product, so bulb colors can change when the make the final order from he vendor.

The white car always made me think their intent was amber. Why would they not just put two red lenses in the test fixture? The black one even confirms it. They are thinking two color. The light pipe is the anomaly and certainly not a final product, so bulb colors can change when the make the final order from he vendor.

To further the discussion, if indeed a test fixture to test the wiring harness, one reason to use two different colored lenses for testing purposes is to easily identify working circuits. By using this two color testing method, Tesla has bolstered the argument for amber turn signals rather than red: If two colors help differentiate in the testing environment they should help in the "wild" as well. I agree with you vfx on their intent is to use amber.

Never heard of the three blink option. I don't see any reason why I would HAVE to have only one blink. The state trooper would be even more likely to pas on me with three in stead on one blink.

Yeah, it's really handy. If you ever find yourself at a VW or Audi (or any German car) dealer, just sit in one and tap the stalk in either direction. Since Elon models so much after Porsche, here's to hoping he includes that :)

To further the discussion, if indeed a test fixture to test the wiring harness, one reason to use two different colored lenses for testing purposes is to easily identify working circuits. By using this two color testing method, Tesla has bolstered the argument for amber turn signals rather than red: If two colors help differentiate in the testing environment they should help in the "wild" as well. I agree with you vfx on their intent is to use amber.

I agree too. My thinking was the same. Use white, red and yellow to test the proper lights (though I don't remember seeing white). I also thought the lights reminded me of the roadster so maybe that was something they were considering or just reusing pieces from. *shrug*. Not a HUGE fan of the current tails, but like them much more than the 2-3 circle ones or the alphas that TEG dug up. I hope they change (and include amber when they do), but I wouldn't lose too much sleep if they don't.

Well in that case, for both of you guys you can just put the regular turn signals on. What you're describing in the roadster though is akin to what I was doing in the mini and is not the lane change signal we are talking about. This is a simple tap to get 3 blinks. I often hear people scoff at the idea, but most end up liking it in practice, and those who don't aren't inconvenienced by it being there.

No, I understand what you're talking about. I've driven a couple of rental cars that did that. I found it highly annoying. The fool thing was still blinking after I had already completed a lane change.

No, I understand what you're talking about. I've driven a couple of rental cars that did that. I found it highly annoying. The fool thing was still blinking after I had already completed a lane change.

Not to get off track here... But I've heard of it being too short, but too long? It's 3 blinks. I can't see it blinking more than once after you changed lanes... Unless of course you're the complete opposite of local drivers here who take forever to change lanes!

I have seen manufacturers switch back and forth from year to year. For instance, the 2000 Ford Ranger EV I got had red rear turn indicators, but I bought the tail light assemblies from a 1999 model to get the amber turn signals. I saw similar things with Ford Taurus / Mercury Sable switch back and forth. I don't know what motivates them to switch like that. Maybe some "bean counters" take over and say "we save $.015 per assembly if we buy red instead of amber" or some equivalent weak argument.

Humans tend to do stupid things, it doesn't matter which system they use. You could argument infinitely. For example with the 3times blink there would be people activating it, letting it blink 3 times but not changing lane. I am satisfied with the two blink options we have.

Has anyone investigated buying amber signals for Roadsters? Over on the Corvette Forum we used to run group buys where someone in Europe would buy a bunch of replacement taillights and ship them over to the States.

I've asked Tesla here how much it would cost for them to install the UK rear lights for me. Still waiting for a response...

On my next trip to England I may try to track down the Tesla people there and see if they'll sell me a pair of UK rear lights!

While we're talking about turn signal characteristics that the Europeans enjoy but we Americans do not, I would like to put in a plug for the turn signal stalk being able to register a slight up or down which makes the turn signal blink 3 times and stop. I had my current car re-programmed and it now allows me to do this and I love it.

I'd never heard of this before, but I like the idea that a gentle tap on the turn signal stalk produces three blinks and then stops.

Three blinks seems about right to me. If you signal a lane change and then have completed it in less than three blinks, then you weren't so much as signaling an intended maneuver as letting other drivers know after-the-fact of what you just did. (I've seen many California drivers who act as if they think the turn signal stalk is something for their fingers to catch on as they're in the act of turning the wheel! I don't have any illusions about being able to change how other people drive, but for those of us who do try to let other drivers know what we're planning to do before we do it, three blinks seems like a reasonable amount of advance notice.)

Looks very nice with the amber. However, is that an actual picture or TEG's magic Photoshop skills? :biggrin:

Nope, unless he managed to doctor both photos I have of the car as well showing yellow in the rear lights. This one shows the yellow fading into red. Maybe Tesla has come up with a very novel way to distinguish the turn signal; or perhaps it is the strobe effect of LED lighting that is causing a color shift as viewed through the camera.

attachment.php

View attachment 3205