Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen & 12v Batteries now shipping in US Y & 3!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone who has ordered a Model 3 been notified of the range decrease? Conversely, anyone with a Model Y on order discovered a range increase?

From everything I have been able to find, this message for M3s is only going out to Shanghai source car owners. and only where WLTP range estimates are used. No range changes for Fremont cars. Also, there is discussion that this change coincides with a bigger battery (82 kWh) for model Y, and that is where the increased range for the Y comes from. I haven't found anything suggesting that Fremont cars have gotten a different battery.

Regardless of what Tesla may have said, the math just isn't there for a 7 mile range loss from this chip from what I can figure.

From everything I have been able to find, this message for M3s is only going out to Shanghai source car owners. and only where WLTP range estimates are used. No range changes for Fremont cars. Also, there is discussion that this change coincides with a bigger battery (82 kWh) for model Y, and that is where the increased range for the Y comes from. I haven't found anything suggesting that Fremont cars have gotten a different battery.

Regardless of what Tesla may have said, the math just isn't there for a 7 mile range loss from this chip from what I can figure.
If the Ryzen in the MY is the same as in the Plaid MS/MX, it is an AMD Ryzen YE180FC3T4MFG (4 core 45 watt Ryzen Embedded). The Intel Atom is an E3950 (4 core 12 watt Atom Embedded). That is almost 4 times more power usage for the Ryzen compared to the Atom. 3.5% of 82kwh is 2.8ish kwh. I don't think a 45watt vs 12watt cpu should account for 2.8 kwh but maybe there is something else going on or something more than just the CPU that is using more power. 24 hours at 45 watts is 1080 wh.

It is odd that the email specifically cites the new computing/graphics as to why there is a range loss so I think speculating it is battery related is pointless.

Last edited:
If the Ryzen in the MY is the same as in the Plaid MS/MX, it is an AMD Ryzen YE180FC3T4MFG (4 core 45 watt Ryzen Embedded). The Intel Atom is an E3950 (4 core 12 watt Atom Embedded). That is almost 4 times more power usage for the Ryzen compared to the Atom. 3.5% of 82kwh is 2.8ish kwh. I don't think a 45watt vs 12watt cpu should account for 2.8 kwh but maybe there is something else going on or something more than just the CPU that is using more power. 24 hours at 45 watts is 1080 wh.

It is odd that the email specifically cites the new computing/graphics as to why there is a range loss so I think speculating it is battery related is pointless.
Yes, and I can't imagine the Ryzen drawing 45W steady. That would be peak draw. There's no change in the Shanghai M3 battery that I found.

Reactions: xSCMx
I got a Vin the other day for my 3 and called in. Was told it is not equiped with either the new 12v or chip and she can tell based on range difference and part number still implying Intel chip
They can't tell 12V based on the computer system. There is no way to look it up. The only way they know is by checking physically. And there is no range difference so far in the US. You got a SA who is taking bits and pieces from the internet and acting like they are gospel.

They can't tell 12V based on the computer system. There is no way to look it up. The only way they know is by checking physically. And there is no range difference so far in the US. You got a SA who is taking bits and pieces from the internet and acting like they are gospel.
There's a 7 mile difference. They found this data in their system inventory display. I talked to a supervisor at the Fremont showroom. They said by Q2 they will have it all rolled out but are only doing a few right now.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
There's a 7 mile difference. They found this data in their system inventory display. I talked to a supervisor at the Fremont showroom. They said by Q2 they will have it all rolled out but are only doing a few right now.
I would like to know if the M3 owners who have gotten the Rizen so far also got the range loss alert. Haven't seen anyone mention it.

So the 12v battery which doesn’t power any motors changes the range of the car? And this has been EPA verified/estimated?

The data floating around is that the new AMD chip will decrease range. There is no way for them to check the battery without physically looking at it. Any SA telling you otherwise does not know what they are talking about.
how do you check if it is new 12v battery?
You pull the cover off between the Frunk and the windshield and look between the air intake and the washer fluid reservoir. if it’s black and looks like a traditional battery with one cable on either end it’s lead acid (mine is made by hankook). If it’s white with two cables connecting in the middle then it’s li-ion.

So the 12v battery which doesn’t power any motors changes the range of the car? And this has been EPA verified/estimated?

The data floating around is that the new AMD chip will decrease range. There is no way for them to check the battery without physically looking at it. Any SA telling you otherwise does not know what they are talking about.

You pull the cover off between the Frunk and the windshield and look between the air intake and the washer fluid reservoir. if it’s black and looks like a traditional battery with one cable on either end it’s lead acid (mine is made by hankook). If it’s white with two cables connecting in the middle then it’s li-ion.
How old or new is your MY?

1642657157778.png