Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android Auto and Apple Autoplay not doing that well...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides, every other manufacturer has decided to back the tech, and they are all slow as hell rolling out features. You almost always have to buy an entire new car to get new functionality. Tesla could show off how simple it is to add this sort of tech in via an update. (That is assuming the hardware [USB plug] can handle it.)

Again, I truly can't understand why anyone would be against this. Not interested in it, that makes sense, but to be against increasing options in your ~$100K car? That's like me saying they should completely remove the internet streaming music. I'd never use it! What a waste of resources! :wink:

In iOS 9, CarPlay can be wireless, so not a USB issue.

I was thinking that might be a bigger issue than USB, because I don't know if it works over bluetooth or what.
Nor does anyone else, as far as I'm aware. Apple didn't specify the required connection type when they announced back in June. From what I've seen, most people seem to think the required bandwidth exceeds what's available via Bluetooth, so you probably need to have your phone connected to the car's WiFi. That's something a lot of new cars can do, but not (yet?) on the Model S.

You believe that CarPlay screen layout logic is all in the phone? I hadn't drawn that inference from my (admittedly cursory) reading on the topic.

If so, the VNC portion would still need to be written natively for every OS...

Not completely. There just needs to be a porting layer that is native to the OS. And the Tesla OS is Linux, which is a the same underlying OS as Android, and very similar to the underlying OS of OSX/iOS. Surely Apple and Google provide reference implementations that run on Linux and just need modifications in a few areas (particularly touch events, audio, and display).