Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying to Full Press Break to Avoid Rolling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got delivery of my Model S in Colorado and found it quite annoying to always have to jam the break really hard to avoid rolling forward and backward on hills when I’m at a stop.

Now, I’m back in FL and we have no hills but I notice the car is still slowly rolling forwards and backwards on minor incline/declines.

I don’t understand why there’s isn’t a software option so that when I’m stopped it comes to a full stop without rolling without having to jam the break down all the way?

Anyone else find this annoying?

That's odd. I can get the "hold" brake to come on when my car stops (manually) and I tap the brake pedal a 2nd time. At that point I can toggle hold on and off at that point by simply tapping the pedal as long as it is stationary.

Reactions: _jal_
dont feel alone, this has bugged me as well. I wouldn't say jamming the brake down, but when you roll to a stop using regenerative braking it seems like you have to go out of your way to press the brake down to keep from rolling backwards or forwards. I get it. Never enough to complain about but enough to wish it would hold automatically.

• Love
Reactions: Shibiwan
I can make mine hold at a stop fairly easily. All I do is press the brake slightly until the "hold" symbol appears on the dash, then I can let go and rest my foot where I please.

Is the issue the angle/slope is so great that the car won't hold, unless you press much harder?

Mine is a 2016.5 P90DL (for comparison)

Someone in another thread said that it is a matter of time, not pressure -- hold it for a few seconds, watch for the indicator. But here is what the owner's manual says:
When driving on a hill or on a flat surface, brake as you normally would. After coming to a
complete stop, simply press the brake pedal again (until the instrument panel displays the
Vehicle Hold indicator light) to enable Vehicle Hold. You can then release the brake pedal
and remain stopped, even on a hill.

That sounds like two presses, but I rarely do that. i mostly just hold it, i think. (It has become so automatic that i am not 100% sure!)

Someone in another thread said that it is a matter of time, not pressure -- hold it for a few seconds, watch for the indicator. But here is what the owner's manual says:
When driving on a hill or on a flat surface, brake as you normally would. After coming to a
complete stop, simply press the brake pedal again (until the instrument panel displays the
Vehicle Hold indicator light) to enable Vehicle Hold. You can then release the brake pedal
and remain stopped, even on a hill.

That sounds like two presses, but I rarely do that. i mostly just hold it, i think. (It has become so automatic that i am not 100% sure!)
Yeah I can’t tell you either now I think of it. Have to test to be sure it needs an ‘off and on’ to set it or not.

In my own S it is like it was in my GLE Benz, same easy double tap on the brake or stronger single tap.

In the loaner I'm driving now it requires much more force, downright annoying. So there seems to be a lot of variability, hope you can get it set to engage much easier, as it should!

So I got delivery of my Model S in Colorado and found it quite annoying to always have to jam the break really hard to avoid rolling forward and backward on hills when I’m at a stop.

Now, I’m back in FL and we have no hills but I notice the car is still slowly rolling forwards and backwards on minor incline/declines.

I don’t understand why there’s isn’t a software option so that when I’m stopped it comes to a full stop without rolling without having to jam the break down all the way?

Anyone else find this annoying?
Tesla DOES NOT implement one-pedal driving.

Turning creep off and pretending that you are using one pedal driving is a little dangerous, as when stopped, it's easy to accidentally roll and when hit, nothing stops you from rolling into the intersection.

Elon has mentioned something about it, but it isn't here.

The Nissan Leaf does implement true one-pedal driving. But even then, there are times when you have to use the brake.

• Disagree
Reactions: jgs and MattMatt
On my 2015 MS I don’t have to release and press the pedal again. When I come to a complete stop, with my foot still on the pedal I simply press down harder and it goes into hold mode. No need to release first

And you brake, not break lol!

Same experience here on two Model S (2017 and 2019). I can keep my foot on the brake at a red light and never have it engage Hold Mode unless I push harder on the pedal.

4 MS so far. they all engaged hill brake when pressed harder (definitely not 95%), or when stopping on a slope. As for the latter, it seems to happen automatically, but maybe I just naturally press the brake harder when stopping on a slope. I've always had creep on.

Last edited: