Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model X crash, driver says autopilot was engaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's quite obvious that Musk didn't do any maths and he should be glad that he isn't working in a tightly supervised industry where a regulator checks the veracity of statements by senior management.

Is it? What did you see or read that makes it obvious?

According to WHO figures half of the global traffic fatalities are motorcycle drivers, cyclists and pedestrians. Any claims as to how Tesla's current system would help there? I suggest we should test a Tesla in city traffic in Cairo or Karachi and we'll see how well the system will avoid collisions with these other traffic participants. Next we'll see how well Tesla's technology will cope with poorly maintained country roads.

Surely you don't think he was referring to situations outside the scope of the current AP technology? Why would he do that?

The problem with audio warnings is they can get lost in background noise or the driver may be hearing-impaired, and the problem with on-screen notifications is it's not a HUD and one of the most likely times for AP disengagement is when stuff is happening on the road so the driver really should have eyes up, not eyes down. So maybe it could buzz the steering wheel a bit too, like the lane departure warning but with a distinct pattern?
Maybe it could temporarily lower any music or radio being played for a split second to give you said notification. My current ICE vehicle does this when I get a text message or an Email on my iphone if I'm using bluetooth or direct usb connection.

Lots of ideas to make sure the driver is aware!

The Wall Street Journal article I was interviewed for came out:

Tesla’s Autopilot Vexes Some Drivers, Even Its Fans

As I suspected, I wasn't mentioned in the article. (I do see some other people from this forum mentioned, such as Jason Hughes). Not surprised, given that I had good things to say about the system and that accidents that result are typically the result of the driver abdicating his responsibility to maintain awareness of traffic and monitor the system.

Seriously, the guy in the article who had an accident talks about looking down at the newspaper while autopilot is engaged, and the article is hard on Tesla?

What a bunch of BS. Seriously, why is the media not blaming the drivers?

They should report all the disclaimers you have to acknowledge and what it tells you every time you turn it on. Reading a paper while driving autopilot is like smoking while filling up your gas car. Or like texting while driving. The people that do it are ignoring all the laws/warnings/etc.

Now I didn't read that article since I don't subscribe.

The worst article I've read so far is

Why Ford, Google, and Volvo Think Tesla’s Autopilot Is a Bad Idea

This article is atrocious because it doesn't cover who's liable for a level 2 crash versus a level 3 crash. In a level 3 crash the car manufacture is liable during autonomous driving. The car takes responsibility for that part of the driving.

The other reason it's atrocious is there is NO confusion or dispute over what the Tesla system is. It's a level II system, and anyone who makes it out to be more than that simply doesn't understand the technology behind it. The article claims it has automatic lane changes which it doesn't. The article also claims it has automatic emergency steering which it really doesn't. Sure it can do a small adjustment, but it can't do some massive emergency maneuver. It's also not all that more advanced than any other level 2 system on the market.

The discussion that should be taking place is about Level II systems, and not about AP. Just because it can go a little long without a "hold the wheel nag" doesn't make it massive different than the other systems.

Reactions: jgs

As I suspected, I wasn't mentioned in the article. (I do see some other people from this forum mentioned, such as Jason Hughes). Not surprised, given that I had good things to say about the system and that accidents that result are typically the result of the driver abdicating his responsibility to maintain awareness of traffic and monitor the system.

Seriously, the guy in the article who had an accident talks about looking down at the newspaper while autopilot is engaged, and the article is hard on Tesla?

The interesting thing I read in that article was the speculation that an option Tesla might be looking into is temporarily disabling autopilot if warnings aren't consistantly responded to. I assume this would be above and beyond the current implementation that disables AP if you don't respond to a single warning and the car shuts off AP and slows to a stop.

Reactions: bhzmark
An expanded statement from Tesla that gives a little more details: Second Possible Tesla Autopilot Crash Under Investigation

We received an automated alert from this vehicle on July 1 indicating airbag deployment, but logs containing detailed information on the state of the vehicle controls at the time of the collision were never received. This is consistent with damage of the severity reported in the press, which can cause the antenna to fail. As we do with all crash events, we immediately reached out to the customer to confirm they were ok and offer support but were unable to reach him. We have since attempted to contact the customer three times by phone without success. Based on the information we have now, we have no reason to believe that Autopilot had anything to do with this accident

So they haven't pulled the logs yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias

I agree with you. Why does all the blame reside on Tesla? Here in Ontario, Canada - even with AP engaged, it is still illegal to be distracted while driving.. No handheld devices! No GPS! Only hands free items permitted.

Sounds to me like the driver is to blame on this one!

Has anyone wondered why this supposed accident happened in Pennsylvania, but it is being reported by a news organization in Detroit?? Anything that they claim against Tesla should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

And what's up with the Tesla owner being contacted 3 times by Tesla to collect more data and absolutely no response from the customer?? Is GM actually the customer that bought a Tesla and intentionally crashing it claiming Autopilot is at fault?

Not only is autopilot a bad idea, it is 'ergonomic anathema' - (I just came up with that, not sure what it might actually mean).

But just because autopilot has long made sense in aircraft does not justify its use on the ground. Think about a pilot trying to use autopilot below 1000 ft altitude (if the system even allows that) and if he succeeded telling himself "next time I'll try it at 500 ft."

Any system that allows hands-off-the-steering-wheel operation of a vehicle is by definition an unsafe system knowing what we do about human nature and psychology, not to mention limits of trying to mimic eye/brain/hand coordination. This goes way way past the rather marginal safety issues presented by the concept of cruise control.
--

• Disagree
Reactions: Pdub2015
Has anyone wondered why this supposed accident happened in Pennsylvania, but it is being reported by a news organization in Detroit?? Anything that they claim against Tesla should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

And what's up with the Tesla owner being contacted 3 times by Tesla to collect more data and absolutely no response from the customer?? Is GM actually the customer that bought a Tesla and intentionally crashing it claiming Autopilot is at fault?

The owner (Scaglione) and son in law (Yanke) reside in the Detroit area as well as base their business there. Scaglione was formerly a mechanical engineering sciences professor at Wayne State in Detroit. Local human interest and industry politics are aligned here.

In addition to being a local, the owner appears to be 77, very philanthropic and probably well lawyer-ed up by now. The lack of data is very interesting.

Or a cat...
Cure for range anxiety...?

genimage1.jpeg

Basically if you are on full AP (TACC/Autosteer, etc...), the HUD is off.

NO! HUD is MORE important with auto-pilot. Feedback is the only way that the car can communicate to the driver what it does, and more importantly does not, sense in the environment. And it can keep the driver engaged with what is going on as well.

I agree that a HUD will make the transition more obvious.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
NO! HUD is MORE important with auto-pilot. Feedback is the only way that the car can communicate to the driver what it does, and more importantly does not, sense in the environment. And it can keep the driver engaged with what is going on as well.

I agree that a HUD will make the transition more obvious.

Thank you kindly.

Yes, good point!

According to the article on Telarati.com, Tesla receives an "air bag deployment" notification and then the antenna built in the car uploads to logs. Tesla attempts to contact the owner prior to releasing any statements to assure they are OK. In the case of the roll over on the PA turnpike, Tesla indicated they tried to contact the owner 3 times, without response. Following those attempts, they simply said the data indicated that Auto Pilot was "had nothing to do with the accident". [Updated] Tesla Model X rolls over after crashing into concrete divider, driver claims Autopilot was activated