Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model X crash, driver says autopilot was engaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I highly doubt one insurer would undertake such a risk. Usually these are subscription policies with a number of insurers sharing risk -- but if there is only one insurer than it is the insurer that has reinsurance for claims that are within their limits of coverage to limit the insurer's loses. I've never heard of insureds buying reinsurance -- it is insurers that buy reinsurance. An insured usually buys multiple policies and the policies will say if they are primary or excess insurance as arranged by the broker.
The primary is only covering up to the limits of the policy. The reasons for using two insurance companies has benfit for either excess or simple carrier diversity. Most times the primary will offset some of the risk through reinsurers but as I looked at what GM was doing they actually bought direct from reinsurers perhaps it was more cost effective, not sure.

The problem with audio warnings is they can get lost in background noise or the driver may be hearing-impaired, and the problem with on-screen notifications is it's not a HUD and one of the most likely times for AP disengagement is when stuff is happening on the road so the driver really should have eyes up, not eyes down. So maybe it could buzz the steering wheel a bit too, like the lane departure warning but with a distinct pattern?

Reactions: Matias
Explanations like "but if the driver were paying attention, there would have been no accident" is not going to cut it with the NHTSA since without AP the driver WOULD have been paying attention.
Your statement that if AP is off that means the driver will be paying attention is clearly without foundation. Every day distracted drivers in cars with no AP-type feature cause numerous crashes. That is a fact.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The primary is only covering up to the limits of the policy. The reasons for using two insurance companies has benfit for either excess or simple carrier diversity. Most times the primary will offset some of the risk through reinsurers but as I looked at what GM was doing they actually bought direct from reinsurers perhaps it was more cost effective, not sure.

Of course the primary only covers up to the limits of their policy. But you can't use the word "reinsurance" for an insured. That word only applies to insurers. Insurers who are concerned about risks that may result in catastrophic claims that may require payout at their limits can: (1) share the risk with other insurers by way of a subscription policy (based on percentages - with one lead insurer who instructs counsel); or (2) take on the whole risk and buy their own insurance policy to cover claims over a monetary amount that is within their policy limit to their insured - hence the word "reinsurance".

The word "reinsurance" doesn't make sense with regard to insureds since they can only have insurance. Of course, they can have a number of policies but they can't reinsure themselves since they are not insurers in the first place.

Last edited:
This is a Tesla forum and it is understandable that users rally to Tesla's cause, yet when the CEO of a company makes bold claims -In an interview with reporters, Musk said Tesla's system was "probably better than human at this point in highway driving," ( http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-autopilot-idUSKCN0UO0NM20160110 ) - then the press is entirely within its rights to ask unpleasant questions when cars start to smack into stationary vehicles (as in Switzerland) or into huge tractor trailers. Lane keeping doesn't amount to "driving".
This claim that current Tesla technology would save half a million lives a year is complete hyperbole and lacks any credibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias
Of course the primary only covers up to the limits of their policy. But you can't use the word "reinsurance" for an insured. That word only applies to insurers. Insurer who are concerned about risks that may result in catastrophic claims that may require payout at their limits can: (1) share the risk with other insurers by way of a subscription policy (based on percentages - with one lead insurer who instructs counsel); or (2) take on the whole risk and buy their own insurance policy to cover claims over a monetary amount that is within their policy limit to their insured - hence the word "reinsurance".

The word "reinsurance" doesn't make sense with regard to insureds since they can only have insurance. Of course, they can have a number of policies but they can't reinsure themselves since they are not insurers in the first place.
You can if you own an insurance company which according to their filing they do.

This claim that current Tesla technology would save half a million lives a year is complete hyperbole and lacks any credibility.

Complete hyperbole? I don't know, I didn't "do the math"... did you?

Not being snarky (actually), but if you break out those fatalities by cause, it's not entirely inconceivable that a good number could have been caused by the type of driver error that AP would normally avoid. At least, that's what I think Musk was getting at, and I'm willing to bet he "did the math."

Last edited:
Complete hyperbole? I don't know, I didn't "do the math"... did you?

Not being snarky (actually), but if you break out those fatalities by cause, it's not entirely inconceivable that a good number could have been caused by the type of driver error that AP would normally avoid. At least, that's what I think Musk was getting at, and I'm willing to be he "did the math."

It's quite obvious that Musk didn't do any maths and he should be glad that he isn't working in a tightly supervised industry where a regulator checks the veracity of statements by senior management.

According to WHO figures half of the global traffic fatalities are motorcycle drivers, cyclists and pedestrians. Any claims as to how Tesla's current system would help there? I suggest we should test a Tesla in city traffic in Cairo or Karachi and we'll see how well the system will avoid collisions with these other traffic participants. Next we'll see how well Tesla's technology will cope with poorly maintained country roads.

A system that doesn't see stationary vans and huge tractor trailers has no credibility as regards claims that it will be able to cope with complex or difficult traffic situations in its current state. Perhaps the system will advance to such a sophisticated state but at the moment it isn't even close.

• Disagree
Reactions: zhenya
I've only had 3 hours time behind the wheel of a Model-X so far, but I spent 2 of those hours using Auto-Pilot. When I came to a stretch of highway under constructions (the white lines were replaced by bright orange/red lines), AutoPilot clearly made it aware to me that I had to take over. I heard loud chimes and looked down and saw writing that I need to take over.

Mind you, this is the first time using Auto-Pilot and I didn't yet trust the system and therefore was very alert. I can see that with more time behind the wheel, people could become complacent and trust it to the point that they don't pay as close attention, which is bad with this version.

A system that doesn't see stationary vans and huge tractor trailers has no credibility as regards claims that it will be able to cope with complex or difficult traffic situations in its current state. Perhaps the system will advance to such a sophisticated state but at the moment it isn't even close.

Please show me where Tesla claims that AP "will be able to cope with complex or difficult traffic situations in its current state"?

It seems to me that you just made this up but perhaps I am wrong and you will direct me to your citation in support.

In my view, AP, when used as directed, clearly helps to save lives, albeit likely at much less of a rate than claimed by Elon Musk.

It's quite obvious that Musk didn't do any maths and he should be glad that he isn't working in a tightly supervised industry where a regulator checks the veracity of statements by senior management.

Like running for President?

As I said earlier, that folks that have not used AP at all (never even been in a car with AP) or folks that have only done some minimal test drives, are the ones that complain so loudly here.

Folks that are using AP extensively daily, understand its usefulness and limitations, love it for it is.

There are always exceptions, but for the most part my observation is not too far from reality.

As I said earlier, that folks that have not used AP at all (never even been in a car with AP) or folks that have only done some minimal test drives, are the ones that complain so loudly here.

Folks that are using AP extensively daily, understand its usefulness and limitations, love it for it is.

There are always exceptions, but for the most part my observation is not too far from reality.

One notable exception being Joshua Brown who, by all accounts, used AP extensively and perhaps failed to understand, or fully appreciate, its limitations. Perhaps he did, and his accident was caused by other factors, but still if raising awareness of AP's limitations can avoid someone else from relying on it too much, without the appropriate due care and attention it requires, then his death will not be in vain.

Sorry, but I don't buy into the argument that you, and the other AP extensive users who agree with you, have all the answers, and know what's good for everyone else. In my view, there may be some merit in the arguments of some of those "that complain so loudly here." I bet those complaints have made some of the other extensive AP users be at least a little more cautious and aware, and there's certainly no harm in that.

Mind you, this is the first time using Auto-Pilot and I didn't yet trust the system and therefore was very alert. I can see that with more time behind the wheel, people could become complacent and trust it to the point that they don't pay as close attention, which is bad with this version.
I found that unless your on a mostly straight, well marked highway I would never become complacent and not pay attention. It works, and works well, most of the time, but you have to be ready to take over when it doesn't work. After 12 days on our trip, I found that I could pretty easily determine when it was going to have trouble and take over before any issues came up.