Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-EV comments heard on my roadtrip so far

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having visited 44/50 US states and 250/424 US national parks in the past year in my LR Model 3, I’ve heard a lot of dumb questions.
Here are a few. (Links go to my non-commercial Wordpress blog about my EV parks travels without ads).
“What do you do about rain and puddles? Is that thing even waterproof?” — owner who saw me park in front of his Wyoming hotel in the rain.
“Well, those things don’t have much range” — heard through my EV car window in Teddy Roosevelt ND, Canyon de Chelly AZ, Gila Cliff Dwellings NM, Great Basin NV, Big Hole MT, Sand Creek Massacre CO, Dinosaur UT, Nicodemus KS, etc.
“Costs about the same to fill up as my truck, right?” — guy putting 35 gallons into his Ford F250 at $6 per gallon in California last year.
“But don’t you miss the romance? I love the roar, vibration, and sheer power of my Mustang.” — dude at red light before I hit 60 mph in 3 seconds.
“What do you do when you’re charging?” — discussion at Starbucks, burger joint, rest room, hotel, campground, museum, and while watching base jumpers at Snake River Canyon in ID.
“How do I plug in?” — unfortunate couple at remote TX Supercharger who rented a non-Tesla from Hertz without the slightest clue about EV’s, nor cables, nor adapters, nor PlugShare. But they were Premium Hertz members.
Interested how many of you hear similar comments about EV’s.

30265639008_4803e2a0f5_b.jpg

"Tesla Supercharger" by Open Grid Scheduler / Grid Engine is marked with CC0 1.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

In our red county I have had various insults shouted at me and my wife. I had a cart pushed into my car and the person stood there , watched it hit and then walk away. And I had a guy slam a key down into my hood. I have “jethro” with his loud lifted truck across the street. It came to a head one night at 1130 with his drunk brother shouting at my house and jethro and I having a discussion about him being a idiot. We ignore each other now for the most part. EV hate is real enough but it’s slowly dying off. We have a few more EVs in the neighborhood now including a few teslas.

In our red county I have had various insults shouted at me and my wife. I had a cart pushed into my car and the person stood there , watched it hit and then walk away. And I had a guy slam a key down into my hood. I have “jethro” with his loud lifted truck across the street. It came to a head one night at 1130 with his drunk brother shouting at my house and jethro and I having a discussion about him being a idiot. We ignore each other now for the most part. EV hate is real enough but it’s slowly dying off. We have a few more EVs in the neighborhood now including a few teslas.
I'm sure it's the same people who've boycotted Bud Light and Disney too.
Ignorance, plain and simple. But it's worse than that. They're proud of their ignorance. That's the scary part.
They've been brainwashed/coerced into thinking their behavior is fine, encouraged even. It's sickening.
Idiocracy is happening right before our eyes. Darwin would be ashamed. I know I am.

That’s crazy!

Too bad you couldn’t get their insurance to pay for damages.

A hundred years ago they would have been the people shouting, "Get a horse!"

Living in the San Francisco Eastbay, and about 20 minutes from the Fremont Tesla plant, Literally every other car here is a Tesla.

I’ve been at large intersections several times where every single car waiting at the lights is a Tesla, or on the freeway in a line of like 8 Tesla’s front to back Lol!

Because of that there is no Tesla hate, but rather Tesla drivers yelling and insulting other Teska drivers about their driving Lol!

Living in the San Francisco Eastbay, and about 20 minutes from the Fremont Tesla plant, Literally every other car here is a Tesla.

I’ve been at large intersections several times where every single car waiting at the lights is a Tesla, or on the freeway in a line of like 8 Tesla’s front to back Lol!

Because of that there is no Tesla hate, but rather Tesla drivers yelling and insulting other Teska drivers about their driving Lol!
It would be the same for any brand of car. Everyone on the road is convinced he is a better driver than the next guy, and that his vehicle is superior to all others.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
After reading some of these posts it got me thinking about if I really see much EV hate out here in Colorado.
I think I have seen some, and it is the same rude, loud drivers that would have been annoying when I was in a gas car. I think those people that hate EVs are the same ones that have the little Pee on Ford/Chevy kid on the back window... just rude immaturity.
I'm sure it's the same people who've boycotted Bud Light and Disney too.
Ignorance, plain and simple. But it's worse than that. They're proud of their ignorance. That's the scary part.
They've been brainwashed/coerced into thinking their behavior is fine, encouraged even. It's sickening.
Idiocracy is happening right before our eyes. Darwin would be ashamed. I know I am.
I don't see the relevance of your comments on Disney and Bud Light. Bud Light is boycotted by both sides of the fence... so.. are you the lone non-ignorant one? Maybe so, because if you want cheap beer, now is the time! Also, people are always boycotting Disney... they are a very loud minority.

So keep your shame to yourself. We are doing just fine, thank you.

I don't see the relevance of your comments on Disney and Bud Light. Bud Light is boycotted by both sides of the fence... so.. are you the lone non-ignorant one?
Er, no. People who choose good beer with flavor instead of Budwater Light are not boycotting it. That's different. Frankly, I don't think you can show any evidence of "both sides" doing any kind of boycott on Bud Light. You know what is being referred to here.

Reactions: drdumont
It would be the same for any brand of car. Everyone on the road is convinced he is a better driver than the next guy, and that his vehicle is superior to all others.
So let me get this straight, are you saying that I may not be the best driver on the road?, no....impossible, I refused to believe that!, I know for a fact i'm the best driver because i'm always calling out all the idiots on the road to myself every day and I am constantly telling myself how stupid all the other drivers are so you sir are mistaken!

Exactly!
That's the beauty of the ever elusive autonomous driving fleet.
How great it would be if most of the cars on the road drove themselves. So much less stress behind the wheel, so many less accidents, which leads lower insurance rates, etc... It has so many trickle down benefits. But it can't be 99.9% right. It has to be 99.999% right. So we wait.

Exactly!
That's the beauty of the ever elusive autonomous driving fleet.
How great it would be if most of the cars on the road drove themselves. So much less stress behind the wheel, so many less accidents, which leads lower insurance rates, etc... It has so many trickle down benefits. But it can't be 99.9% right. It has to be 99.999% right. So we wait.
I think that the "autonomous" driving fleet would be wayyy more problematic than the occasional raging driver. I'll pass, and continue to drive my own car. Besides, yelling at the other idiots is sooo cathartric.
I also save $15000.

Last edited:
I just found a new one that is full of dishonest price comparisons claiming that EVs are way too much more expensive by comparing an EV that costs $100K to an Audi S8 that apparently costs $0, so the EV has $100K in fuel savings to make up to break even. And it's right here on this forum! Comment #53

When I went out running errands on Wednesday, I came out of Walmart to find an old tall Ford pickup with the bumper resting on Casper's hood. No damage and I don't really think he did it on purpose, but it's obvious that he can't really see things in front of him too well. There looked to be stuff spilled on the back bumper but that might've been there before. I had to wait until I got to Safeway to clean off the back bumper because I couldn't get to the water bottles stored in the front with a Ford parked on me.

I haven't suffered a lot of anti-ev activity. Probably the worst things are that I've had large pickups try to roll coal on me a few times, and guys in sportscars try to beat me out of a red light.

I get some grief from a redneck friend who's a complete petrolhead, but that's about it.

I haven't suffered a lot of anti-ev activity. Probably the worst things are that I've had large pickups try to roll coal on me a few times, and guys in sportscars try to beat me out of a red light.

I get some grief from a redneck friend who's a complete petrolhead, but that's about it.
So I had to look it up, I had not heard the term petrolhead before. Figured it meant people that are over reliant on petrol, which would make sense. Oddly, it apparently means "someone who will only drive their own car and doesn't use alternative modes of transportation" odd...

Anyways, the more you know. I kind-a like the idea of adopting it for the EV community though!

While not completely associated, here is an AI video of Vin Diesel Drinking Diesel. Petrolhead? I think so.

So I had to look it up, I had not heard the term petrolhead before. Figured it meant people that are over reliant on petrol, which would make sense. Oddly, it apparently means "someone who will only drive their own car and doesn't use alternative modes of transportation" odd...

Anyways, the more you know. I kind-a like the idea of adopting it for the EV community though!

While not completely associated, here is an AI video of Vin Diesel Drinking Diesel. Petrolhead? I think so.

I think "petrolhead" is a pretty common term for car enthusiast in the UK. At least, that's the impression I got from watching all those episodes of Top Gear!

Status
Not open for further replies.