Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We sound like people that actually understand the difference between a Level 2 driver aid system (what the car currently has) and a Level 5 self driving system (what Tesla intends at least the pre-march-2019 buyers of FSD to eventually have but does not yet exist).

Something you, falsely, insisted you understood- but make crystal clear you do not in your last post.

One of them is likely to kill you if you get in the back and sleep while it's driving the car. The other is explicitly designed to permit sleeping while it drives the car for you.

Why do you keep replying to me? have you noticed I've ignored you? Yet you keep trying to debate things that aren't being debated. Move along please

NEVER doze off or sleep when you are the driver. PERIOD.

When you turn on any such feature in a Tesla - you agree to pay attention - NOT find a way to not pay attention.

Once FSD reaches level 5 autonomy - no input from a driver is needed....then you can do whatever you want. However as it stands right now - Its all in beta. Not even officially released.

So you say "don't fall asleep. period". Then you say when FSD/level 5 gets here "you can do whatever you want". Why say don't fall asleep when we can do whatever we want as you say? Remember you said "period". That should mean don't fall asleep in ANY situation, including FSD/level 5.

And then of course you repeat for about the 8th time in this same post that FSD is not available yet. WE GET THAT

Why do you keep replying to me? have you noticed I've ignored you? Yet you keep trying to debate things that aren't being debated. Move along please

So you say "don't fall asleep. period". Then you say when FSD/level 5 gets here "you can do whatever you want". Why say don't fall asleep when we can do whatever we want as you say? Remember you said "period". That should mean don't fall asleep in ANY situation, including FSD/level 5.

And then of course you repeat for about the 8th time in this same post that FSD is not available yet. WE GET THAT

I'm not debating.

When.....FSD/level 5 gets here - you can do whatever you want. You won't need a hack ( topic ) for anything.

Its not here yet....so you can't do whatever you want.

Its easy. Very simple.

I'm not debating.

When.....FSD/level 5 gets here - you can do whatever you want. You won't need a hack ( topic ) for anything.

Its not here yet....so you can't do whatever you want.

Its easy. Very simple.

Yeah, It's too simple, since we already know FSD isn't here yet. So yet again you're repeating common knowledge, the 10th time repeated in this thread. We know FSD doesn't nag or will need hacks, yet you are repeating more common knowledge (probably repeated at least 6 or 7 times here)

Thanks for no contribution to the topic

Incoherency of expression clarifies the thought........

Great contribution. Maybe you can move to the next posting level.

Yeah, It's too simple, since we already know FSD isn't here yet. So yet again you're repeating common knowledge, the 10th time repeated in this thread. We know FSD doesn't nag or will need hacks, yet you are repeating more common knowledge (probably repeated at least 6 or 7 times here)

Thanks for no contribution to the topic

Great contribution. Maybe you can move to the next posting level.

LOL....insults don't affect me in any way.

Anyway.....

Its obvious that what I'm saying isn't common. I'll repeat it 20 more times if necessary.

The OP's topic is about the most useless and violating than I've seen here. I can't believe that there is a topic opened that would threaten the security of others.

What the OP is calling a "nag to the driver" is a conceited view that risks everyone else's safety. How selfish could a person be?

There is no use in trying to get an answer to this topic unless you only care about yourself.

There's your contribution...… Now back to the "non hack" conversation.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I haven't read through this whole pissing contest of a thread but I've found that one hand around 8:00 works pretty well. On other cars I put one at 7:00, but that doesn't provide quite enough torque. This seems to eliminate almost all nags if the road has a few curves in it. If it's dead straight I still get it sometimes. The range of the force needed seems pretty tight before you can actually torque yourself out of AP.

One thing that I have noticed is that the nag appears more frequently now if you are in stop and go traffic than it did before. I'll admit that there are times when I'm going <10mph that I will pull my hand off, but that gets flagged much more than it used to.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Anyone hacking AP this way should have their car stripped of the feature, IMHO.

Too bad 0% chance of that happening. When a person buys a car its theirs. You step into a terrible dangerous area when you want to allow car manufacturers to remove things because they feel a driver has been a bad boy.

So when somebody texts and drives, I guess you want samsung and apple to take their phones back too???? smh

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

That appears to be true of a lot of words actually.

Why are you following me? Are you obsessed? you are scaring me way more than people who use this hack

Bypassing safety features in is never a good idea.

I'm glad you posted this. Like nobody knew this this until reading it here. You deserve some type of promotion or medal

we need a hack to remove some of these posters as a driver...

Guess you want a hack to forever remove phones from people who text and drive too?

I have had my fair share of service loaners, so from experience I can tell you that different Tesla's require different amounts of torque on the steering wheel to get the nags to go away (unfortunately the one I own is one of the ones affected by requiring more torque than others to clear the nags, whereas with others I didn't get a single nag). It's easy to say "holding my steering wheel this way results in no nags for me", but unfortunately that doesn't help those with vehicles which require additional torque (the assumption being the discussion here is how to drive with your hand on the steering wheel without being bogged down by the nags, not how to get away without holding the steering wheel at all).

Suggestion for OP: try resting your knee against the steering wheel to help clear the nag.

As a completely separate topic: I'm also curious why people seem to think that holding the steering wheel implies you're paying attention to the road. Clearly Cadillac doesn't think that's a requirement with SuperCruise with their hands-free system. I get that for Tesla it's the only thing the only tool they had available for cars lacking additional sensors to ensure the driver is paying attention, and that having your hands on the steering wheel should make your response faster to unexpected situations. However, you could very easily be paying attention to the road without your hands on the steering, but on the other hand a driver could be holding the steering wheel but irresponsibly be texting or searching something on the MCU without being focused on the road (and Tesla wouldn't nag).

Reactions: BikerPeaBody
I have had my fair share of service loaners, so from experience I can tell you that different Tesla's require different amounts of torque on the steering wheel to get the nags to go away (unfortunately the one I own is one of the ones affected by requiring more torque than others to clear the nags, whereas with others I didn't get a single nag). It's easy to say "holding my steering wheel this way results in no nags for me", but unfortunately that doesn't help those with vehicles which require additional torque (the assumption being the discussion here is how to drive with your hand on the steering wheel without being bogged down by the nags, not how to get away without holding the steering wheel at all).

Suggestion for OP: try resting your knee against the steering wheel to help clear the nag.

As a completely separate topic: I'm also curious why people seem to think that holding the steering wheel implies you're paying attention to the road. Clearly Cadillac doesn't think that's a requirement with SuperCruise with their hands-free system. I get that for Tesla it's the only thing the only tool they had available for cars lacking additional sensors to ensure the driver is paying attention, and that having your hands on the steering wheel should make your response faster to unexpected situations. However, you could very easily be paying attention to the road without your hands on the steering, but on the other hand a driver could be holding the steering wheel but irresponsibly be texting or searching something on the MCU without being focused on the road (and Tesla wouldn't nag).
I’m almost positive it’s a licensing/patent thing since they seem to be getting away from most anything that has them depending on other manufacturers or suppliers.

As far as holding the wheel goes:
This seems to work most times.
31AFFC22-E814-482A-A747-75B0547DAEBA.jpeg

Now, it’s debatable whether that’s really a safe practice since at that position it would take most people at least a couple seconds to prime themselves to take back full control.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110