Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe the best system will be educating people to take driving as seriously as they should.

100% agree. Another area Tesla has taken the less safe approach. At the very least they should require drivers go through a "Pre-flight safety demonstration" at least once; before AP can be activated (this can done through the Center Console, App or Online). Activation per driver profile.

e.g. Segway requires safety training... just to activate a 30lb scooter.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
100% agree. Another area Tesla has taken the less safe approach. At the very least they should require drivers go through a "Pre-flight safety demonstration" at least once; before AP can be activated (this can done through the Center Console, App or Online). Activation per driver profile.

e.g. Segway requires safety training... just to activate a 30lb scooter.
No need to add more complexity, drivers are responsible for driving the car, it's a driver assist system only. Period. You can't fix stupid, if the driver is careless no matter the situation then they are responsible for what happens. If you defeat the nags then, IMHO, you should have the book thrown at you by the courts for flagrantly driving a 2 ton death machine recklessly.

This nag system is not even the real issue here. Driving would be way safer if there were less chances for a driver to get distracted. I'm talking about the damn phones everybody is using while driving. The vast majority of drivers I see on my daily commute are in one way or another fumbling with a phone while in traffic, while on the highway. They don't realize how easy it is to create dangerous situations because of this. There really is no excuse for this. If it's that important, pull over. I get way too mad at someone when I see them taking their eyes of the road for that long.

The problem with the phones is that there is no way to fix this. No matter how smart of a device or an app they invent, they won't be able to tell if the person who wants to use the phone in a car is the one driving or not. They won't lock out the screen/texting/etc for all phones while driving, sadly...

No need to add more complexity, drivers are responsible for driving the car, it's a driver assist system only. Period. You can't fix stupid

Honestly, if someone think it's too complex to watch a 5 minute safety video on how/how-not to use AP... that person shouldn't be using AP.

When you buy a Tesla these days, it's like a Starbucks mobile order. Order online, go in/sign, drive off... new owners left believing the car will drive itself.

You can call them stupid, I call them under-educated.

• Disagree
Honestly, if someone think it's too complex to watch a 5 minute safety video on how/how-not to use AP... that person shouldn't be using AP.

When you buy a Tesla these days, it's like a Starbucks mobile order. Order online, go in/sign, drive off... new owners left believing the car will drive itself.

You can call them stupid, I call them under-educated.

Good point, I've got me as an example of this.

Some years ago when I got my first car with RADAR cruise control, I sort of knew how it was supposed to work but since the dealer had not mentioned anything about this, I was expecting it to stop the car in all cases. Scared myself pretty badly when I thought it wouldn't just run into an already stationary car at an intersection. Didn't smash into him, I was ready to brake... but I did scare myself and only after this I took some time to learn what these systems can and cannot do.

You know, @DopeGhoti , after a century of piloting said metal boxes, we've gotten very good at it. Considering the person-miles, and the imperfections of the humanoid - in countless ways - I look and marvel, that all the cars that I'm streaming on said path with somehow play together. Based on other life experiences, I'd expect them to ping-pong for a bit and then all pile into a smoking heap. The fact that they occasionally do doesn't change things. We do OK. And if we had to lose all lightness and sense of humor to go all-out serious gravity in yet one more task, we'd probably be clinically insane.

Just to be clear I always have my hands on the wheel, but I believe the sensor on my car is defective. I ALWAYS get the nag, not only me but my wife and anyone who drives the car. The only way to remove it is to aggressively wiggle the sheering wheel, which often is enough to disable AP, or adjust the volume. Before v10 the nag was around once a minute, now it’s literally every 10 seconds.

Any hack to remove it? People said that an orange wedged in the steering wheel worked for the model S but not the model 3.
This is a REALLY long thread to say - NO, there is not.

Reactions: DopeGhoti
Just thought I add my own little defeat device I made a while back to the list.

Velcros to the back of the wheel. Weighted motors, timer kicks it off every 20 seconds. On/Off power, though I thought of adding a vibration switch.

Proof of concept project... works. I don't use it.

IMG-0204.jpg

I'm talking about the damn phones everybody is using while driving. ... I get way too mad at someone when I see them taking their eyes of the road for that long.

Careful there, road rage causes accidents, and it takes takes so many devious forms ...

GRRRRR!

I actually don't even keep it my car. If I died in an AP crash and it was found... there would be no pity on this forum. ;)

Yeah, someone might mistake it for a Phone !

I get one false braking event on average about once every 400 miles. It typically happens on the same Snohomish to Portland, and back trip on I5 (and parts of 405 sometimes). The last one it was showing that it was tracking the car next to me, but slightly ahead of me. It was a little more serious braking than the typical TACC false braking. It was about 20mph of speed reduction for nothing.

Now I haven't stopped using TACC nor have I become one of those "I hover my foot about the accelerator" types. But, I am hugely disappointed in it.

As to Lane changes:

On my Model 3 there is absolutely no contest between confirmed or user initiated lane changes, and non-confirmed lane changes. The initiated lane changes are correctly timed, and meet the "as good as me or better" criteria pretty much every time. The non-confirmed lane changes make me look like an idiot with the delay.

I do have an appointment for the HW3 upgrade in Mid-March, and I remain hopeful that it will fix the non-confirmed lane changes like others with HW3 have reported.

Strongly recommend you make a verbal "Bug Report" with each and EVERY phantom braking event.

Supposedly Tesla's team reviews them and helps re-write the code to eliminate them . . . .

Just thought I add my own little defeat device I made a while back to the list.

Velcros to the back of the wheel. Weighted motors, timer kicks it off every 20 seconds. On/Off power, though I thought of adding a vibration switch.

Proof of concept project... works. I don't use it.

IMG-0204.jpg

Way to over complicate something. You have heard of Rube Goldberg right? haha.

• Funny
Strongly recommend you make a verbal "Bug Report" with each and EVERY phantom braking event.

Supposedly Tesla's team reviews them and helps re-write the code to eliminate them . . . .

They don't.

Think how many man-hours reviewing bug reports from hundreds of thousands of cars (going north of a million cars this year) on a daily basis would take.

Bug report tells the car to bookmark the cars logs locally- and then Tesla can review the bookmarked logs if you request service on the vehicle to see what the car was reporting when the problem happened. The reports stay on the car though- they're not sent to tesla, and they're not reviewed by anybody except a service tech if you otherwise are having the car serviced.

Reactions: smatthew
They don't.

Think how many man-hours reviewing bug reports from hundreds of thousands of cars (going north of a million cars this year) on a daily basis would take.

Bug report tells the car to bookmark the cars logs locally- and then Tesla can review the bookmarked logs if you request service on the vehicle to see what the car was reporting when the problem happened. The reports stay on the car though- they're not sent to tesla, and they're not reviewed by anybody except a service tech if you otherwise are having the car serviced.
At one point Tesla probably did review every bug report. But that was many many years ago, when the fleet size was much smaller.