Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model 3 Owner Cyclists?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone who has taken delivery of their model 3 tried to put a road bicycle in the back? I know that it should fit length wise, but given the height constraints, any difficulty sliding it in? Does it require taking off the front wheel?

I have a 56 cm Trek Domane and being able to carry the bike easily is a major factor for me.
Thanks!

Just fold the seats down and pop the front wheel off. Piece of cake and plenty of room.

Reactions: SigNC
Just fold the seats down and pop the front wheel off. Piece of cake and plenty of room.
Very useful information for me as a road cyclist who is thinking of buying a Model.

I wondering if 2 road bikes (my wife's and mine) can fit as well!?
At least the length doesn't seem to be an issue.
I'm thinking of fitting them in by getting rid of the front weels and placing one with the front first while the seconds goes with the rear end one top (or vice versa).

What do you have think? Can that work? Most concerning is IMO the height of the opening (trunk to back of the Model 3).

Very useful information for me as a road cyclist who is thinking of buying a Model.

I'm thinking of fitting them in by getting rid of the front weels and placing one with the front first while the seconds goes with the rear end one top (or vice versa).

What do you have think? Can that work? Most concerning is IMO the height of the opening (trunk to back of the Model 3).
Basically you have 38"(97 cm) at the base and 32"(81 cm) at the top width,
and an 18"(46 cm) height pass-through between the two rear wheels.
Otherwise you have about 6 feet (182 cm) between the front seats and the rear bumper.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa

I THINK it would be possible to lay one on top of another (carefully and with a blanket in between them) if done the right way, but since I have not actually done it yet in my Model 3 I really cannot say for sure. I did this all of the time in my Volt, but that's a hatchback and as you mention, the trunk opening on the Model 3 is much smaller than the opening on a hatch.

1x bike fits with front wheel off and seats folded 2/3. A 54cm frame should fit without folding the seats and both wheels off. Looks like room for two bikes if you fold all rear seats down and remove all wheels.

I used my old Saris Bones 3 trunk rack as well and it worked fine.

Two mountain bikes

Attachments

• 5E167AB6-7B09-44CD-B2AF-E67B72BC28EA.jpeg
    5E167AB6-7B09-44CD-B2AF-E67B72BC28EA.jpeg
    853.9 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: Watts_Up
Former Professional. I find the trunk is large enough for my disc brake road bike by folding down the back seat. Can even fit it without removing the front wheel as long as you rotate the handlebars to drop the wheel between the front seat-backs. That being said, I have always been a fan of the 1-UP racks. I may install a hitch on the rear to put one of their low-profile single racks on for trips where I need some more gear in the back. For anyone looking for a rack - I highly, highly recommend them!

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up

Options rotate the forks, take off the front wheels, remove the pedals. I bet you could do it with some combination of those.

Has anyone who has taken delivery of their model 3 tried to put a road bicycle in the back? I know that it should fit length wise, but given the height constraints, any difficulty sliding it in? Does it require taking off the front wheel?

I have a 56 cm Trek Domane and being able to carry the bike easily is a major factor for me.
Thanks!

I had to pick my SO’s model 3 up from the service centre a while back. Rode one of my MTBs (orange crush). This is a long hard tail. With the uppy-downy seat post down and the front wheel off it was easy to post it through the boot/trunk slot into the cabin. Space was fine for closing the lid and having the front seats in regular positions.

Just wondering if you ever got an answer. I have a 52cm Road bike with full fenders. Fits very readily in the back of my 2012 Model S with seats down. Can even readily stack a second bike (both bikes with fenders, no tires removed / nothing changed on bicycles, with the only issue being the bikes crunching each other a la gravity.

Wondering how one bicycle with fenders would be in a Model 3. If one has to remove the front wheel in this set up then the front fender is easier to distort into mis-alignment.

Just wondering if you ever got an answer. I have a 52cm Road bike with full fenders. Fits very readily in the back of my 2012 Model S with seats down. Can even readily stack a second bike (both bikes with fenders, no tires removed / nothing changed on bicycles, with the only issue being the bikes crunching each other a la gravity.

Wondering how one bicycle with fenders would be in a Model 3. If one has to remove the front wheel in this set up then the front fender is easier to distort into mis-alignment.

I have had my Model 3 LR RWD for two years and somehow never put my bike in it. I love the car so much I hated the idea of getting all sweaty after a long ride. That said, I have seen several people put their road bikes in the Model 3, but most took the front wheel off. I have a reservation for a Model Y that will replace my longsuffering 4runner, and I am confident that will fit a bike without removing a wheel.