Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model S or X received the Holiday update yet? What about external speakers on s/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 2020. Received the update in the morning.

Basically, for MS, nothing to be excited about. Dash looks much smaller. And three games.

No bombox so basically no external speaker in the car unlike what musk said before (2019 onwards car have speakers).

Clearly he is so focussed on the M 3 and Y that he forgot that there are MS and MX cars being produced and owners that also look forward to updates.

Basically, for MS, nothing to be excited about. Dash looks much smaller. And three games.

No bombox so basically no external speaker in the car unlike what musk said before (2019 onwards car have speakers).

Clearly he is so focussed on the M 3 and Y that he forgot that there are MS and MX cars being produced and owners that also look forward to updates.

Hey 3 and y are the premium flagship cars. New tech will always start in them first

• Disagree
Reactions: umair239
I got the update on my 2020 Model X.

The "new and improved" supercharger graphic is worse.
Instead of showing 20 chargers near me, how large they are, and how many stalls are free, I just get to see how many are free. Less information is never better...
This is true :)

SC info.jpeg

There are hundreds of thousands of Model 3's that did not and will not get this 'feature'.

My Model S did get the boombox feature, and I believe all EVs from all brands are required to have a PWS from September 2019 onward. What year/month was your Model S produced? You should be able to find this information inside the driver side door along the bottom of the door frame.

For what it's worth, not having the PWS is a feature too. My old Model 3 was made in August 2019, and I was relieved I did not have the noisemaker. The boombox feature is not all that great anyway, if you want music to be heard outside of your car you can roll a window down, or keep them rolled up and increase the volume. If you plan on using your car as a Bluetooth speaker at a party, consider picking up a real Bluetooth speaker. The garbage quality mono speaker is not pleasing, and I am assuming if you can drop six figures on a car, you can cough up $200 for a decent speaker. The horn feature is also not what you think, it still uses the standard horn, and then plays the alternate horn sound as well. The extra horn sound is also not loud enough to serve as a suitable replacement as the PWS speaker is garbage quality and relatively quiet.

Yeah, the bars were easier to process visually, so hopefully they'll reconsider the decision.
I used to agree, but supercharger density got so wacko in California that it really became a hot mess on the map.

My idea was the number of free stalls represented as a fraction along with a pie chart showing how full a site was (extra points for green/yellow/red color coding), but I guess Elon didn’t get my memo.

While disappointing, its not surprising that the 3 and Y are getting more new tech - they were more specifically designed that way. The S and X were the first to come out, as a premium vehicle platform to entice folks with larger wallets into EVs. Now Tesla is more established, and is seeking a larger audience, incorporated a more advanced interface for the 3 and Y. Nothing unusual for the auto industry.
A new Honda Civic has better tech than a 5-year-old Accord, even though the Accord is a premium platform relative to the Civic. The difference, for me, is that I can add most of that tech to my 5-year-old Tesla S without having to buy another to do it.

The Mercedes will likely have superior materials, and better fit and finish, but they've practiced for over 100 years. As to the range of the EQS, no announced vehicle has meet the ratings the manufacturer hypes, whether Mercedes, GM, Ford, Polestar, etc...so I wouldn't hold your breath...and that doesn't take into account the battery range improvements Tesla incorporates on a constant basis, which will probably be the same or greater than the EQS's range by the time it is actually released.

A big advantage over Mercedes, IMO, is Tesla has been 100% vested in electric vehicles, battery design, and materials design (i.e., SpaceX) for over a decade now, where Mercedes and other legacy auto companies are only recently involved with larger production of EVs due to regulatory pressure and unavoidable shifts in the industry (propelled by companies like Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, etc.). Virtually every legacy EV announced has been plagued by software issues prior (and so far, after) release - something better craftsmanship won't fix. I'd rather be driving my Tesla than be towed in my EQS....but we'll have to see how that turns out...

Reactions: David29
I got the update in my 2017S. They rearranged the instrument cluster and reduced the size of the fonts as you can see here. Really dumb choice that makes it less legible.

The only useful feature for me is the improved scheduling features for pre-conditioning. No interest in the games or other gimmicks.

A pedestrian warning horn is a good idea (the Volt had a great one) but the boombox feature seems pretty stupid to me. How long til someone triggers road rage with their boombox?

According to Green's twitter, Tidal music support isn't too far away. Finally, a feature I care about. :)

While disappointing, its not surprising that the 3 and Y are getting more new tech - they were more specifically designed that way. The S and X were the first to come out, as a premium vehicle platform to entice folks with larger wallets into EVs. Now Tesla is more established, and is seeking a larger audience, incorporated a more advanced interface for the 3 and Y. Nothing unusual for the auto industry.

I acknowledge there are many manufacturing advances in the 3/Y, however, pretend you never owned a Tesla and simulate a decision between the 3 and the S. They are different in that the S is similar to the 3 just better, and you pay for the improvements. Seems logical to me, and none of the new tech you reference has any meaningful impact to the ownership experience aside from perhaps the key. On the flip side to the phone key, there are many occasions where thumbing the FOB in your warm pocket to open the trunk vs pulling out your phone in the harsh winter wind, unlocking it, opening the app, clicking controls, and finally pressing the trunk button.

Model 3 Advantages
Better value
Safer
Lighter
Optional Hands-free phone key
USB C Ports
USB in the glovebox
Better Autopilot control stalk

Model S Advantages
Suspension
Legroom
Dual displays \ better display layouts
Range
Speed
Cabin Filter \ Biohazard Defense Mode
Storage \ Liftgate
Aesthetics
Heated wipers & steering wheel.
XM Radio
Cabin materials \ quality \ comfort
Quieter cabin
Less common

Reactions: Duffer and David29
the model S has a speaker box now too? i first heard the backup sound on a model 3 and thought something was wrong with that car and is going to spontaneously combust soon. i would NOT want a speaker on the outside of my car. can it be disabled? I would cut the wire as long as it doesn't go crazy on me.

Reactions: Wol747
I got the update on my S yesterday. I feel indifferent about the supercharger display improvements. The IC display visualization looks more detailed. The resolution of the car model seems better. We can now see the MCU in the model. The font for the speed seems to have been changed slightly. Overall, I like the minor update for the visualization on the IC dsplay. The update/release notes improvement is good: much more organized and clearer.

PXL_20201228_213623507.jpg

PXL_20201228_213319742.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Duffer and David29
An Accessibly mode will now be necessary for font size. I concur with others. That was an abrupt font change. To note:
The Park, Reverse, Drive and Neutral indicators are now on the MX (in my opinion) too small and in a position easily occluded by a slightly turned steering wheel.
I’m going to be patient as this is a warm up to the V11 layout, I suspect. Hope they do better.
-TechVP

I think we should flood Tesla with complaints about the UI font sizes and placement. Otherwise they will keep moving in that direction....

The Mercedes will likely have superior materials, and better fit and finish, but they've practiced for over 100 years. As to the range of the EQS, no announced vehicle has meet the ratings the manufacturer hypes, whether Mercedes, GM, Ford, Polestar, etc...so I wouldn't hold your breath...and that doesn't take into account the battery range improvements Tesla incorporates on a constant basis, which will probably be the same or greater than the EQS's range by the time it is actually released.

A big advantage over Mercedes, IMO, is Tesla has been 100% vested in electric vehicles, battery design, and materials design (i.e., SpaceX) for over a decade now, where Mercedes and other legacy auto companies are only recently involved with larger production of EVs due to regulatory pressure and unavoidable shifts in the industry (propelled by companies like Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, etc.). Virtually every legacy EV announced has been plagued by software issues prior (and so far, after) release - something better craftsmanship won't fix. I'd rather be driving my Tesla than be towed in my EQS....but we'll have to see how that turns out...

I was a long-term Mercedes owner before I bought my Tesla, and have been eager to see what Daimler Benz would do with EVs. I was intrigued by the EQC. It got good reviews when first introduced in Europe, and seemed like it might be a good size for us. It is based on the same platform as the GLC, which my daughter leases and loves (in the UK). I was disappointed when MBUSA delayed the EQC arrival here by a year or more (still no word on its US debut). But I belong to an EQC owners group on Facebook and have been following the posts by the owners outside the US. They all seem to love it at first, but I see the same sort of issues that Tesla owners have wrestled with -- why is my range so much lower in winter? What does this warning mean? and many, many issues of connectivity and so on. The MB support is problematic in some areas, apparently, especially for the complex problem of getting the car able to charge on the many different charging networks in any given country. Daimler tried to make it easier, but it apparently is not always easy to set up. I have also read of similar issues with the Porsche Taycan -- connectivity, navigation, charging. So, it is apparently no panacea to have a new EV from a major manufacturer, even one in the luxury class with a history of better-than-average customer support. The technological problems seem to be the tough ones, not the basic car. Tesla does have limitations and is imperfect, but they have much more experience with the technology side of cars.

I acknowledge there are many manufacturing advances in the 3/Y, however, pretend you never owned a Tesla and simulate a decision between the 3 and the S. They are different in that the S is similar to the 3 just better, and you pay for the improvements. Seems logical to me, and none of the new tech you reference has any meaningful impact to the ownership experience aside from perhaps the key. On the flip side to the phone key, there are many occasions where thumbing the FOB in your warm pocket to open the trunk vs pulling out your phone in the harsh winter wind, unlocking it, opening the app, clicking controls, and finally pressing the trunk button.

Model 3 Advantages
Better value
Safer
Lighter
Optional Hands-free phone key
USB C Ports
USB in the glovebox
Better Autopilot control stalk

Model S Advantages
Suspension
Legroom
Dual displays \ better display layouts
Range
Speed
Cabin Filter \ Biohazard Defense Mode
Storage \ Liftgate
Aesthetics
Heated wipers & steering wheel.
XM Radio
Cabin materials \ quality \ comfort
Quieter cabin
Less common

does the model S have heated wipers?

Model 3 Advantages
Better value
Safer
Lighter

How is the Model 3 safer than the Model S?