Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats a lot of assumptions... a good portion of us are here eating popcorn in our Model Y LR's having known there is zero evidence that our trim model will ever receive the Global lights that dont do what half the people here assume they will.

This whole thread is based on a huge assumption 🤣
That’s also a lot of assumptions... I have mine on hold and seen $2,000 in price hikes since. I remember when I bought my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland and a month later Jeep updated the headlights and how pissed I was that my new car looked liked the older model already. Realistically in this case the headlights are the same shape but of different types of lumenation. With that being said I would also love the updated door panels, Giga mold back end and the other second quarter rumored upates.
By the end of July I will give up and rock whatever Model Y is out at the time and if goes as planned I will love it.

Reactions: MIK3 and dyau
There are pictures in here comparing MYP to LRY and there is no difference in output. It’s not assumptions. There’s hard evidence. Wait al, you want but even if you get them they don’t work any better. Projectors are so 1990s European luxury car.

There are pictures in here comparing MYP to LRY and there is no difference in output. It’s not assumptions. There’s hard evidence. Wait al, you want but even if you get them they don’t work any better. Projectors are so 1990s European luxury car.
and what would your analogy for reflectors be?

Even if it is purely for the aesthetics, theres no need to get down on others who want to wait. This entire forum was made for all the people who care abt the details that dont matter to the majority.

Do you also go to the threads abt PPFs and tell them there's no difference between repainting the car? or to the spoiler threads and tell ppl it wont add any difference to range and handling? or to the threads abt panel gaps and tell them how no1 not even their mothers will ever notice? or to the 82kwh threads and tell them that at the end of the day, they will still have a battery?

Reactions: MIK3 and JHCCAZ
The reality is people don’t want to buy something that is out of date. With Tesla that is inevitable. Their "continuous improvement" methodology means that whatever you buy will be surpassed within 6 months.

Sucks but thats the way it is. Everyone wants the new headlights only because they don’t want something out of date. The existing MY non-P headlights work just fine, but everyone here knows there is an impending improvement. I personally like the look and performance of the "old" headlights. They work fine and most won’t even notice without the active matrix fully functional.

After seeings the comparisons it’s a non issue for me. But I do get the "give me the latest" desire. For this though it’s just not worth making a decision To buy or not to buy. I am curious and follow this threat just to see if they do start rolling out the factory floor.....

and what would your analogy for reflectors be?

Even if it is purely for the aesthetics, theres no need to get down on others who want to wait. This entire forum was made for all the people who care abt the details that dont matter to the majority.

Do you also go to the threads abt PPFs and tell them there's no difference between repainting the car? or to the spoiler threads and tell ppl it wont add any difference to range and handling? or to the threads abt panel gaps and tell them how no1 not even their mothers will ever notice? or to the 82kwh threads and tell them that at the end of the day, they will still have a battery?
For me it comes down to people wanting the latest and greatest, I am ok with that. In this situation, the latest isn’t the greatest. It is simply something Tesla is doing to save them money on cars they export. Since the Y isn’t exported there is no reason for them to switch the lights to something that costs them more. With this information, delaying your purchase means you might never buy a Tesla. If you are comfortable waiting years to purchase a car, have at it. The cars are great as is, the lighting is great as is. No reason to wait unless you want to ensure you pay more for the car. Right now I see one valid reason to wait, potential tax breaks/refunds. But Tesla will likely offset that. They have already overcome the $1500 CA discount at sale with the recent price increases and there is every reason to believe they will do the same for any federal refund unless they are prohibited by price caps.

For me it comes down to people wanting the latest and greatest, I am ok with that. In this situation, the latest isn’t the greatest. It is simply something Tesla is doing to save them money on cars they export. Since the Y isn’t exported there is no reason for them to switch the lights to something that costs them more. With this information, delaying your purchase means you might never buy a Tesla. If you are comfortable waiting years to purchase a car, have at it. The cars are great as is, the lighting is great as is. No reason to wait unless you want to ensure you pay more for the car. Right now I see one valid reason to wait, potential tax breaks/refunds. But Tesla will likely offset that. They have already overcome the $1500 CA discount at sale with the recent price increases and there is every reason to believe they will do the same for any federal refund unless they are prohibited by price caps.
Totally agree. But, I believe myself and others that made the purchase but have the order on hold are in the sweet spot during this period of time.

I will say that I was really holding out for the lights, and hoping I would get them, and a little bummed when my vin came and there were no sightings of them. BUT, now that the car is here, I couldn’t care less. It is a pleasure to drive and to be in. If the new lights came to cars starting tomorrow, maybe I would be a little jealous, but I don’t really care anymore. My experience, for what it’s worth. Today it’s the lights, tomorrow it is the battery, or screen, or trim, or frunk latch, or whatever. New stuff comes all the time. It is a never ending cycle.

No, because the majority of those threads and commentors are owners of a Tesla looking to improve it, preserve it, or reject it on delivery day.

Those threads are similar to people asking for advice on which screen protectors or cases they should get for their new Iphone. This thread is solely based on a rumor mill click bait article saying a Q1 Iphone will come with a better flashlight. And Q1 passed... no flashlight. Q2 sold out.... still no flashlight...

Get the car. Trade it in if it gets new headlights in 6 months. If you are so worried about having an "out dated look" you'd probably do it for new windshield wipers or signal clicker sounds anyways.

Reactions: Mrbrock
I agree with about 95% of what you said. In fact I’m placing my order for a LR within the week and have made peace with whatever lights I end up getting.

But the one thing that still confounds me is why they’re putting the global headlights in the MYP and not the LR. If the new lights are not an improvement and really are just about exporting and production efficiency (which I believe is probably correct) then why put them in the Performance model? I can’t for the life of me make sense of that.

I agree with about 95% of what you said. In fact I’m placing my order for a LR within the week and have made peace with whatever lights I end up getting.

But the one thing that still confounds me is why they’re putting the global headlights in the MYP and not the LR. If the new lights are not an improvement and really are just about exporting and production efficiency (which I believe is probably correct) then why put them in the Performance model? I can’t for the life of me make sense of that.

Burning through stock of both model lights, preparing for Samsung light cut in date would be my guess. And putting it in the MYP was a model Trim perk. Tesla could care less about keeping stock of old parts. That is what aftermarket manufacturers are for.

I was out driving at dusk the other day on an undulating road with a 3 with the new lights behind me. I'm in the Bay Area, so Teslas are everywhere. I did notice a difference with the way the lights shone onto and into my 3 and with what I saw in the rear view mirror. The beam cutoff was a lot sharper and the lights seemed more intense when the car hit the correct angle behind me. It was more like an intense eye shining at me vs. an overall lighted area. Not sure I like it more or less yet, just sharing how it felt from the 'rearview mirror perspective'. Needless to say, still waiting to re-enable my Y order once I know they are confirmed for LR! 🤪

Could it be that Tesla is getting ready to sell US produced Model Y Performance in Europe because of the delay with the Berlin gigafactory?

I was out driving at dusk the other day on an undulating road with a 3 with the new lights behind me. I'm in the Bay Area, so Teslas are everywhere. I did notice a difference with the way the lights shone onto and into my 3 and with what I saw in the rear view mirror. The beam cutoff was a lot sharper and the lights seemed more intense when the car hit the correct angle behind me. It was more like an intense eye shining at me vs. an overall lighted area. Not sure I like it more or less yet, just sharing how it felt from the 'rearview mirror perspective'. Needless to say, still waiting to re-enable my Y order once I know they are confirmed for LR! 🤪
What you described is exactly what happen with projector lights with sharp cut off. If the road is smooth, it's great for incoming car because it minimize glare. However, when it's bumping and up/down, the it appears to incoming cars that you're flashing them for no reason.

Has anyone picked up a LR MY with the new headlights recently? I ordered on May 2 and I believe my delivery date won’t be until end of June or July so I wonder if I will be able to get the new headlights. I don’t mind either way, but it would be nice!

Has anyone picked up a LR MY with the new headlights recently? I ordered on May 2 and I believe my delivery date won’t be until end of June or July so I wonder if I will be able to get the new headlights. I don’t mind either way, but it would be nice!
No. As of right now there are no verified reports of the LR being delivered with the global lights — only the MYP. All the 2021 MY LR to date have the reflector lights.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung