Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Regrets on Buying the 5 Seater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you please explain how you determined that? 500 lbs is a very large difference.
there was an extensive discussion on this or the Tesla forum about this very thing and people posted the various weights and came to that conclusion. The number may have been something like 487, don't remember exactly so rounded like Tesla does. I'll try to find the reference, but I've looked at so many posts, don't know if I'll succeed.

GVWR is not the weight of the car. It is the weight of the car plus all cargo and passenger weight that you are allowed/rated to add before the car becomes unsafe. A 500lb difference could partially come from the weight of the car itself, or it could come from using weaker components in the tires/wheels/suspension/frame. Since the build of the car should be the same, just less seat material in the 5 seat configuration, then it seems odd that you wouldn't be rated to make up the difference with cargo.

I'm guessing that they tested the car with a given account of cargo and then just use that figure as a number to add to the actual weight of the car to avoid having to redo all the tests? If so, then the 500 would be an indication of the weight difference of the car, but honestly I'd expect the 5 seater to be allowed more cargo weight.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler
Back to the topic of regrets... I ordered a five seater and regretted it after 10-seconds. There was more to it than just the seats... but it was a factor.

As a photographer/video guy, I have totally filled my Model S. So, I fully intended to order a 5-seat Model X when I traded in a month ago.

They had a 6-seat inventory vehicle that offered an interesting alternative. It had an $11,000 (Canadian) discount, autopilot-1, premium sound, winter package and blue paint.

So at the same price, I could order a basic 5 seater with no features, or the fancier six seat.

I was responsible and ordered the 5-seater with my sales guy in the dealership. I regretted it as soon as we clicked 'enter' and immediately asked him to cancel it.

The sIx seat is definitely less practical for gear. I'll be playing Tetris around those big, unmoveable, non-folding middle row seats for years, but it was more important to have a car I enjoyed on a purely personal level when I wasn't carrying stuff.

Admittedly, my situation was different because it wasn't Apples-to-Apples. If I ordered from scratch, I would certainly pick the cheaper 5-seat. But I can say now, I do enjoy looking in the rear view and seeing that sexy six seat interior over a typical bench seat.

Back to the topic of regrets... I ordered a five seater and regretted it after 10-seconds. There was more to it than just the seats... but it was a factor.

As a photographer/video guy, I have totally filled my Model S. So, I fully intended to order a 5-seat Model X when I traded in a month ago.

They had a 6-seat inventory vehicle that offered an interesting alternative. It had an $11,000 (Canadian) discount, autopilot-1, premium sound, winter package and blue paint.

So at the same price, I could order a basic 5 seater with no features, or the fancier six seat.

I was responsible and ordered the 5-seater with my sales guy in the dealership. I regretted it as soon as we clicked 'enter' and immediately asked him to cancel it.

The sIx seat is definitely less practical for gear. I'll be playing Tetris around those big, unmoveable, non-folding middle row seats for years, but it was more important to have a car I enjoyed on a purely personal level when I wasn't carrying stuff.

Admittedly, my situation was different because it wasn't Apples-to-Apples. If I ordered from scratch, I would certainly pick the cheaper 5-seat. But I can say now, I do enjoy looking in the rear view and seeing that sexy six seat interior over a typical bench seat.

I think you made the right choice, given your priorities. The 5-seater isn't about sexy, it's about utility.

Reactions: beths11
It can't be 500lbs. That is way too much, that would mean all seats together in the car would be already ~1500lbs. And the 6 seater has no middle seat in the 2nd row, so that saves a little. I would estimate the 3rd small row to 20 to 50kg, maybe saving 5 to 10kg for the missing middle seat in 2nd row. So total additional weight might be 15 to 45kg, which is around 30 to 90 lbs.

It can't be 500lbs. That is way too much, that would mean all seats together in the car would be already ~1500lbs. And the 6 seater has no middle seat in the 2nd row, so that saves a little. I would estimate the 3rd small row to 20 to 50kg, maybe saving 5 to 10kg for the missing middle seat in 2nd row. So total additional weight might be 15 to 45kg, which is around 30 to 90 lbs.
It would be nice if 5-, 6- and 7-seat owners would post their curb weights (not GVWR since that includes people and cargo)

I am not sure, but as far as I know the curb weight considers only the standard equipment. The additional options are not taken into account. So I would assume the curb weight is the same except for the different battery/motor variants. Extra weight for metallic paint, bigger wheels, leather seats, glass roof, HEPA filter, ... is typically not visible.

No regrets after 2 weeks & one ski trip! The fold down works better for my use than my previous 6 seater. Only used third row once in 8 months.

Get your 5-seater pictures and videos here!

Cool. I just confirmed my order for a 5-seater. I think it will work best for me too. Personally I think the bench seat is more comfortable than the 2nd row bucket seats, which are narrower than the driver and passenger seats. .