Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Regrets on Buying the 5 Seater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some additional factors that may help people making a decision.
We have the six seat no console. Keep in mind, you will not fit two adults in the rear most seats. Those are for kids 10 and under IMO. Witho If cargo is an occasional concern, you can use a hitch mounted tray to carry additional cargo without impacting aerodynamics much. I also think its nice having pseudo captains chairs instead of a bench.

Another factor is we also have a giant 3 row SUV so if we really need folded seats and tons of space we can use that. The six seater also looks more exotic than a typical bench.

It all comes down to personal needs.
I have the original 7 seater with monoposts. The 3rd row is indeed cramped, but fine for short trips with medium-large sized adults. XL and up will be too squished for any extended period of time and will not even be able to buckle up without seatbelt extenders.

In the 1.5 yrs I had it, there were maybe 3-5 times I wished the 2nd row would fold. 2 of these were trying to finagle a bike into the car which fit but was a pain in the butt to maneuver into place that allowed the trunk lid to close.

All in all having 3 kids and needing to carry additional passengers for short distances every now and then - a 5 seater wouldn't work for us. So I'm glad we got a 7 seater. Which is now even cheaper than when I bought.

A 6 seater for us meant that 1 of the kids would always have to ride in the 3rd row, which (with 1 seat up) takes up half the trunk and leaves less room for luggage. I know you can stuff a large suitcase into the "aisle" in a pinch but we thought it wouldn't be as convenient.

Agree that 6 seater looks cooler, feels more spacious and is now the only way to get the "sculptural works of beauty" monopost seats. It is also the most expensive seating config at this time.

TIL: DR depends on your personal needs.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness.:oops:

Why do you prefer your 5 seater?

It's an old thread, but it will be because you can fold the middle row flat for maximum cargo space. But the current 7-seat option is the way to go for maximum flexibility i.e. 7 seats, rear HVAC and the ability to fold both 2nd and 3rd rows flat. 6 seater has it's own niche too, but it's not as flexible. 5 seater is not such a good choice if you are regularly carrying rear passengers because of its poor rear HVAC.

I like mine for the space. 99% of the time is just me or my wife in the car. But lately I have been hauling furniture for my kids. I got a 6 foot long cabinet in the back of the X with room to spare. You can't do that in the 6 seater. You could in the 7 seater, but that was $5,000 more.

Six seater with a uhaul trailer for the handful of times you have to do it also gets it done.

His 6 Seat, Her's 5. We love the 5 seater. We are avid Gardner's and go trips to nursery's and buy lots of plants.

IMG_5865.jpeg
IMG_5861.jpeg
IMG_5863.jpeg
IMG_5866.jpeg

Reactions: svonorth
The 5 seater has no HVAC for the rear - is that true?

It is true and it's the one and only reason we bought the 7-seater, because our 2 kids ride in the middle row all the time. If you search threads, you'll see loads of complaints about the 5-seater rear HVAC - or lack of it! Both the 6 and 7 seaters have an additional rear fan and independent temperature control. The 5-seater just makes do with the front HVAC and the B-pillar ducts don't blow any air at all.

That pad on the 5 seater looks great. Where did you get it? And is there a part for the back of the rear seats?

Yes. They do not fit. I have contacted them about this.The velcro does not stick to the back. I've been in contact with them about this. They
IMG_5874.jpeg
Will post later on this issue.

There is a register under each front seat and one in each B pillar. This is typical of most 5 passenger cars / suv. Ones with third rows usually do have extra vents in back.

Haven’t had complaints from middle row kiddos about comfort regarding HVAC in our 5 seater.

• Informative
Reactions: beths11
There is a register under each front seat and one in each B pillar. This is typical of most 5 passenger cars / suv. Ones with third rows usually do have extra vents in back.

Haven’t had complaints from middle row kiddos about comfort regarding HVAC in our 5 seater.
We have the 5 seat version. On our last trip we had five 30X40 canvases plus easels and other gear and luggage and camp chairs. Easy to divide up everything, store and access what we want. Much more storage in a 5 seat.

5 Seater X has pretty good airflow to passengers. There are 2 adjustable air vents on the B pillars, 2 adjustable air vents on the center console and 2 non adjustable air vents under the front seats facing rearward.

I often turn the fan up a notch or two when people ride back there and they have seemed pretty happy.

I usually point out that they have their own little sky lights above them. They also seem to be delighted to be able to see out of the large front panoramic windshield.

Have not found 2nd row seat to be lacking in ventilation.