Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody successfully gotten a priority bump after purchasing a MS/MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rnortman

Aug 31, 2017
Earth
Has anybody who had a non-owner M3 reservation received a priority bump after purchasing a MS/MX? I put down a Model 3 reservation back in January; I was not an owner at the time. Then I started looking into buying a MS, with the expectation that I'd keep the M3 reservation and get a bump in priority, and then we'd be able to become an ICE-free household. (Yes, my lawnmower is already electric.) Both my sales associate and the Tesla website claimed that I'd get a priority bump after buying the Model S.

Well, that was two weeks ago and no bump yet. I asked my OA about it and they're still looking into it (really? How long does that take?), but the most recent word from them is that I'll need to cancel my existing reservation and put down a new deposit.

WHAAAAT? No, I don't think so. (1) It will take many weeks for them to return my deposit, in the meantime they have both deposits, and (2) I may get a bump from being an owner, but my reservation date will be pushed way back from where it currently is, so I won't get as much of a bump as I ought to have, (3) they surely won't guarantee that I'll actually get a bump or how much of a bump -- I might actually slip later given the very late reservation date, and (4) No, just no, it can't be that hard for them to fix this, even if they have to do it manually.

Has anybody successfully done this?

Yeah.. cancel and re-submit your reservation? I wouldn't. I'd push harder on them for a better answer than that. I would also try and get *in writing* (email) what they state your new delivery window *SHOULD* be...

Reactions: dm33
Same issue. Have Feb-Apr for 'First Prod' since after the original recalc happened, and I submitted an email from the support dropdown in MyTesla a week ago. No response.

Cancelling your res will put you in the back of the pack. That makes NO sense at all. They should have recalc'd automatically, and I was even told that when I took my first test drive, that it would give me priority automatically. :D

It's probably only a month, but WTF. May drop a line to my OA and see what story we get from that side, now that it's a new quarter and the rush is over.

Where do you see that timeline? The timeline is gone on My Tesla. All I see is this:

Next steps
Your Model 3 was reserved on 3/31/2016. You'll be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation. If you have any questions, please refer to our FAQ. We invite you to submit suggestions or feedback within our forums. Engage with other future owners to share your excitement or ideas.

Where do you see that timeline? The timeline is gone on My Tesla. All I see is this:

Next steps
Your Model 3 was reserved on 3/31/2016. You'll be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation. If you have any questions, please refer to our FAQ. We invite you to submit suggestions or feedback within our forums. Engage with other future owners to share your excitement or ideas.
Next to Delivery Estimator, click the Learn More link (or try Delivery Estimate) and it will take you to the page that shows your estimated delivery dates.

Reactions: apacheguy
Or click on 'Model 3' and scroll down when you are logged in!

upload_2017-10-3_11-44-8.png

I reserved my 3 on the reveal day last year as a non-owner. I bought my S later that December. My delivery estimate shows Oct-Dec which is consistent with other CA owners.

It is possible there is a cutoff at some point though.

It is possible there is a cutoff at some point though.

What do you mean by cutoff? You mean you have to have purchased a Tesla before a certain date in order to get a priority bump? Why then would the website (under the Model 3 reservations FAQ) still say you can accelerate your reservation by buying a MS/MX, and why then would three different people I talked to at Tesla before making the purchase (including one in writing) have confirmed to me that my reservation would be accelerated?

They had better come up with a better answer for me. At this point the answer is still just a guess on the part of the local manager; it's not an official answer from corporate yet. (But apparently corporate is ignoring the request from the local manager... really not a good sign.)

I reserved on the reveal day online about 30 minutes after the reservations were open. I purchased a Model S end of September 2017. My delivery estimates are still the same. Dec-Feb for first production and Feb-Apr for base model.

I have called their sales twice and they tell me that the timelines are manually "batch" updated and mine is probably not updated yet. He said that I will get prioritized automatically and not to worry about it. I remain skeptical.

I would assume they would be creating some sort of virtual line.

Start with the time ordered.

Move earlier in the line by 2 day for waiting in line.
Move earlier in the line 10 days for being in California
Move earlier in the line 8 days for being in pacific time zone (except california)
Move earlier in the line 6 days for being in Mountain or Central

Move earlier in the line 6 days for having an S or X.
Move earlier 20 days for being an employee.

Adjust those factors as appropriate. I would assume there were so many orders the first few week, adjusting beyond a few days doesn't matter much anyway.

I was lucky #13 in line the morning of 3/31 to reserve a Model 3. Delivery estimate said Nov-Jan (2017/18). Bought an S100D last week (woo!), delivery estimate still says the same date range. I'm sure I likely moved up in some list somewhere, but I think for East Coast that's close to as early as you're gonna get. They do also have a 3-month range, so if you were originally estimated to take delivery in January, maybe now it'll be December? (plus whatever delays)

I don't think we'll have much more of an idea until they hit the 'S' part of the curve and start inviting more people to configure.

So obviously I'm not the only one waiting on an answer. You know, it's so funny -- during the pre-sales phase, when you ask Tesla a question, they know exactly where to get the answer and they get it really quickly! I asked this very question; they took less than 12 hours to find somebody in corporate to confirm for them that I would be bumped forward in the queue. But somehow, they have no idea whom to talk to make it actually happen, now that they've made the sale. Isn't that interesting?

What do you mean by cutoff? You mean you have to have purchased a Tesla before a certain date in order to get a priority bump? Why then would the website (under the Model 3 reservations FAQ) still say you can accelerate your reservation by buying a MS/MX, and why then would three different people I talked to at Tesla before making the purchase (including one in writing) have confirmed to me that my reservation would be accelerated?

They had better come up with a better answer for me. At this point the answer is still just a guess on the part of the local manager; it's not an official answer from corporate yet. (But apparently corporate is ignoring the request from the local manager... really not a good sign.)

I am just guessing. No one knows. Misinformation from Tesla sales reps is unfortunately common.

I had two completely different experiences with the 2 CPOs I bought and one guy went as far as to say the previous salesperson should have been fired for giving me the info he did.

I have had this problem also - I made 2 reservations for Model 3 waiting in line in CA. I bought a Model S Nov 2016 which should give one of my reservations priority. Both my reservations show the same date, about a month after most owners in CA (Nov-Jan) for first production or standard(Jan-Mar), but about 2-3 months later for AWD (Aug-Oct). I have contacted Tesla and they told me should be fixed soon, that was about 2 months ago - not fixed yet.

Reactions: boaterva
I have had this problem also - I made 2 reservations for Model 3 waiting in line in CA. I bought a Model S Nov 2016 which should give one of my reservations priority. Both my reservations show the same date, about a month after most owners in CA (Nov-Jan) for first production or standard(Jan-Mar), but about 2-3 months later for AWD (Aug-Oct). I have contacted Tesla and they told me should be fixed soon, that was about 2 months ago - not fixed yet.

Whoa, this is disturbing. 2 months is a long time to wait. Did they tell you this in writing? How did you contact Tesla -- was it through your local OA or directly to customer service? Have you tried the new "executive escalation"?

Sorry to pepper you with questions, but I need to plot my own course here and it would be helpful to know what's been tried before. And by the way, this isn't just a matter of sales people giving out incorrect information -- it says it right on the website. Somebody at Tesla corporate needs to take responsibility and get this done.

I'm in the same boat, put down a reservation 4/1/2016 and have a delivery range of Feb-Apr 2018. My wife became a big fan of Tesla (probably because I never shut up about it!) and bought a Model S, which was just delivered last Saturday. I expected to see my dates change and move up a few months but nothing yet so I wrote an email to a couple of my contacts at the local Tesla location. The response I got back was that they're continually being updated but it's sporadic, and that I should expect to see the dates change once the availability to order opens to current owners (after employees and high-level investors). I guess I'm OK with this answer... for now. But I still have anxiety about it... I want to see the dates change and make it "official."

I saw this thread and am definitely going to "watch" it to see what others say. Thank you.