Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody successfully gotten a priority bump after purchasing a MS/MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same boat, put down a reservation 4/1/2016 and have a delivery range of Feb-Apr 2018. My wife became a big fan of Tesla (probably because I never shut up about it!) and bought a Model S, which was just delivered last Saturday. I expected to see my dates change and move up a few months but nothing yet so I wrote an email to a couple of my contacts at the local Tesla location. The response I got back was that they're continually being updated but it's sporadic, and that I should expect to see the dates change once the availability to order opens to current owners (after employees and high-level investors). I guess I'm OK with this answer... for now. But I still have anxiety about it... I want to see the dates change and make it "official."

I saw this thread and am definitely going to "watch" it to see what others say. Thank you.

Pretty much the same response I got too

While my situation is different, here's a related issue they are having:

I was an owner before I placed my reservations - I reserved two (at the same time on Mar 31). While I sold one of my Teslas after making the reservation, I purchased another one BEFORE I sold the first one, so I have owned at least two Teslas at all times.

One of my reservations looks like it has priority, and the other doesn't. I am told this is a common problem, and they are working on it, but they don't know when it can be fixed.

The probably had an intern set up the reservation system in March 2016; there was a programming error, and now it's nobody's job to fix it as everybody is overloaded working on other tasks. I suspect it will get fixed at the last possible moment (or maybe a couple of moments after that).

I reserved my 3 on the reveal day last year as a non-owner. I bought my S later that December. My delivery estimate shows Oct-Dec which is consistent with other CA owners.

It is possible there is a cutoff at some point though.

Same reservation date but I’m in the Midwest. Took delivery of a CPO S the day of the Model 3 delivery party in late July. My delivery estimate for first production is Oct-Dec.

I called the Customer assistance line twice, the first time I kind of got a blow off - I was told that they would look into it but that since both the current and reservations were in the same account that it was probably showing the correct dates, he did not think there was an issue and the dates were not very far off. Suggestion was to wait a couple of weeks and see if it updated.

I waited about 2 weeks and called back again, the person answering said that while both the Model S and the reservations were in the same account, that my account had a flag as an invalid owner account because someone had misspelled my email address. They passed me off to someone else to fix that and updated the info in the database and was told that it should reflect the change next time the update was run, that was about 2 months ago and still no change.

I reserved on the reveal day online about 30 minutes after the reservations were open. I purchased a Model S end of September 2017. My delivery estimates are still the same. Dec-Feb for first production and Feb-Apr for base model.

I have called their sales twice and they tell me that the timelines are manually "batch" updated and mine is probably not updated yet. He said that I will get prioritized automatically and not to worry about it. I remain skeptical.
I am skeptical of all of the dates but agree that they should move you to Oct-Dec. I’m getting ready for my October delivery.:D

After 4 weeks of getting nothing through the normal channels I tried an "executive escalation". Given what I've seen other people report about executive escalations being ignored I wasn't expecting much, but I almost immediately got a response. They asked me to send my Model S VIN and Model 3 reservation number to [email protected], which I did, and then a minute later they said don't bother they'll follow up on my behalf. Wow. So then an hour later I got a phone call (!) from somebody in the reservations department, who said they'd added my name to a list of people waiting for an update, and once the list is long enough they'll do a batch update of everybody. He couldn't say when that would be.

So here is where I think they were feeding me BS. I don't think there's any such list. I think they'll run the next batch update whenever Model 3 production starts in earnest, and everybody will be updated at that time, no need to have your name on an imaginary list.

But apparently the executive escalation actually works, in a way, because this guy was obviously interested in making sure I felt like they were doing something for me, even if they weren't actually doing anything. It sounds strange to say this, but that's a huge improvement over my previous interactions with Tesla, which basically has been them ignoring me. So having them feed me BS to make me happy is a welcome change!

Also the "executive" representative followed up a little bit later by both email and phone to make sure that the issue was resolved to my satisfaction. They're obviously tracking metrics on this stuff now and motivating their employees to make customers feel like their issues have been addressed. (Emphasis on the "feel like". I don't think anybody actually helped me in any way today -- my M3 delivery estimate has not changed and I have approximately the same level of confidence that it will change as I had before, and no additional knowledge about when it might change.)

Only problem with all that is a lot of people have submitted Exec Escalations and got nothing or responses that later went nowhere. Response is extremely spotty, unless all of a sudden it does work. :D

As for the ‘priority’, mine hasn’t changed at Feb-Apr for First Production, so, perhaps you are correct that they are going to update everyone when they get closer to it actually meaning something! Of course, all they have to do is post something saying that....

What kind of priority change are people expecting? Getting a car before first day non-owner orders? Getting a car before non-owners that ordered a 1-2 months earlier?

Would be nice if Tesla would offer some information about this, but I don't think they have. The sales associates (before I bought the car, of course), said it would be a significant bump for me, as I reserved my M3 quite late in the game: Jan 2017. This suggests to me that owners may well all get their cars before early(ish) non-owner reservations, though I bet first-day reservation holders will receive higher priority. Of course, that was the sales associates talking, so probably just a complete fabrication. I know that they didn't say "hold on, let me consult with somebody who actually knows the answer and get back to you with specific information". They just offered some speculation, and probably biased their speculation in the direction that would lead me to buy the car.

Very disappointing really. Part of what I love about the Tesla concept is that I don't have to deal with sales BS. But that's only a concept, alas...

What kind of priority change are people expecting? Getting a car before first day non-owner orders? Getting a car before non-owners that ordered a 1-2 months earlier?

Considering that this is the official statement from tesla;

Is there a way to accelerate my Model 3 invitation and delivery?
Tesla owners receive priority Model 3 orders, so you can accelerate your Model 3 invitation and delivery by purchasing a Model S or Model X first.

I don't think people are saying they want to be bumped to the front of the line (at least thats not what I personally am saying). What they are saying is that they expect some sort of change to their timeframe as promised by Telsa as a perk for purchasing a very expensive car. What model 3 reservation holders are experiencing instead is 0 change to their delivery estimate after ordering an S or X.

While it is entirely possible, and even likely that Tesla will come through on this promise, right now it feels like a smoke and mirrors state statement and a bait and switch tactic, for many of us who purchased with the model 3 priority bump in mind.

Reactions: boaterva
It appears they have failed to do this for me. Several weeks ago I did an executive escalation, and they connected me with somebody in reservations who assured me he had put my name on a list of people waiting for a non-owner-to-owner status change, and everybody would be processed during the next update. BS. My reservation dates slipped later by a month during yesterday's update, just like everybody elses. They still aren't giving me owner priority.

Anybody else seeing anything?

I don’t think they’ve made any priority changes last night.

This is infuriating :mad:. I love my Model S, but I have no idea how they manage to build cars. They're so disorganized, and straight up lying to customers seems to be standard operating procedure there.

I've (attempted to) reopen my executive escalation. Let's see what happens.

Dang... mine moved right too. I was thinking if they had to go in and update the estimated delivery dates anyways, they would also use that time to readjust according to who has since become owners. Oh well... more patience required, I guess i'll just consider it a lesson in virtue.

Even as someone who is looking to buy a CPO Model S, I don't think it would be right to have put down a reservation on a 3 6+ months after everyone else, and expect a priority bump.

FWIW, I waited in line 3/31 and reserved around 10:25am ET.

But if I do go through with a CPO S, I'll defer my Model 3 res until Performance is available.

By then, I expect any line-jumping benefit for being an owner to be minimal at best.

Even as someone who is looking to buy a CPO Model S, I don't think it would be right to have put down a reservation on a 3 6+ months after everyone else, and expect a priority bump..

I really don't care too much as I'm waiting around for AWD model anyways;
but for me It is less about being bumped in line, and more about being promised to be bumped in line and then ignored.