Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody successfully gotten a priority bump after purchasing a MS/MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but for me It is less about being bumped in line, and more about being promised to be bumped in line and then ignored.

This is at least half the point. Whatever you think about whether it's "fair" to give owners priority, Tesla promised this as an enticement to purchase a Model S/X. They need to deliver on that promise.

It really bugs me that that guy in the reservations department who called me (after I submitted an executive escalation) assured me that my name was "on the list" and that when they did the next batch update I would be given owner priority. They are either unscrupulous or incompetent when it comes to things like this.

I'm still waiting on a response to my attempt to re-open my escalation. Complete radio silence so far since Thursday.

Well, Elektrek is reporting that they've started sending out invitations for non-employees to configure their M3s, and still not update for us. I've been reasonably patient up to now, since it's been kind of an academic question, but it has just become a real issue. Does anybody have any way to escalate this that's actually effective? The "executive escalation" channel ignored my last request (two weeks ago) completely...

FYI, I got a response from today's attempt at escalation:

It is reflected correctly on our end showing that you are a current Tesla Model S owner with a priority Model 3 reservation. I wanted to provide you with written confirmation that you do in fact have owner priority for your Model 3 reservation. We are still making updates to the Delivery Estimator to ensure an accurate reflection of our customers’ estimated delivery timeframes. Your patience during this process has been much appreciated and we look forward to delivering your Model 3 as soon as possible.

You can still reach out to [email protected] if you have more questions, but note that we are still only rolling out Model 3's in CA, so it will be a while until they make their way to the east coast.​

Translation: We still can't figure out how to update rows in our database (omg SQL is hard!), but hang tight and trust us! We'll figure it out! We promise!

I would be completely happy with this answer if I hadn't been given the run-around on this for the past three months, and if they hadn't already promised it would be taken care of during the next batch update but then failed to deliver on that promise. Trust is something you extend to an organization that hasn't already failed you on multiple occasions.

*sigh*

I don't know if this thread makes me feel better or worse or if my post will make anyone here feel better or worse but here goes... I'm a Model S owner and placed a reservation in July of this year. Yeah, I know... Late to the party. It was my understanding that being a Model S owner and being in SoCal, willing to take first available that I would still be among the first to receive their car. I called Tesla and they confirmed this was indeed the case. Yay!

So the Model 3 delivery estimator pops up and my delivery date for all models is showing as Q1 of 2019. Not only was my delivery date later than any California reservation holder that I could find but it was the latest date possible, the same as non owners on the other side of the country. So I called Tesla.

The first guy I spoke to was nice and said that they had two accounts for my email address in the system and that the Model 3 reservation was under an account under Michael but my Model S was under an account with the first name Mike. So on their end it my 3 reservation wasn't showing me as an owner. Easy enough fix. They merged the accounts and told me to keep checking the configurator. And so I did. Long story short, two months and several calls later my delivery estimator still shows the latest delivery estimate (Late 2018). Tesla insists that they show my priority status in their system and that I'll be among the first to configure.

I'm not mad. Crap happens. I just wish I had a little more certainty that the problem was fixed because when I log in and it shows late 2018 delivery I can't help but to think that the database that estimator is queuing to get my status is the same one their internal system is using.

It’s not as simple as it seems. I suspect they can’t just add us to the main list (the estimator database) and bump us by a few months. Here is why: for every person moved up, say by 6 months, there will be 6 people who will have to be moved down, by one month each. Those 6 people would get upset and would start complaining. So once someone realized that, they may have decided not to touch the main list and instead, keep us on a separate list. Once the deliveries begin and the line starts moving it will be much easier to squeeze us in without creating an uproar from others. Using cancellations and such. At least that’s my hope.

FYI, I got a response from today's attempt at escalation:

It is reflected correctly on our end showing that you are a current Tesla Model S owner with a priority Model 3 reservation. I wanted to provide you with written confirmation that you do in fact have owner priority for your Model 3 reservation. We are still making updates to the Delivery Estimator to ensure an accurate reflection of our customers’ estimated delivery timeframes. Your patience during this process has been much appreciated and we look forward to delivering your Model 3 as soon as possible.

You can still reach out to [email protected] if you have more questions, but note that we are still only rolling out Model 3's in CA, so it will be a while until they make their way to the east coast.​

Translation: We still can't figure out how to update rows in our database (omg SQL is hard!), but hang tight and trust us! We'll figure it out! We promise!
Or, the translation is "We fixed it when you first called, we're sorry we can't get the site updated as fast as you like and that you don't believe what we're saying. It is done, but hey feel free to keep calling and writing so we can spend more of our time on you."

• Disagree
Reactions: rnortman
Or, the translation is "We fixed it when you first called, we're sorry we can't get the site updated as fast as you like and that you don't believe what we're saying. It is done, but hey feel free to keep calling and writing so we can spend more of our time on you."

That's not really fair. In my case it's been two months and the delivery date hasn't changed despite them insisting it's correct in their system. I think 2 months is an adequate amount of time for the site to update and I think a reasonable person would conclude that if the site is reporting inaccurate information it stands to reason that the problem might not be solved, especially considering that every time I've called I've received slightly different information. Even today after they insisted that I'm marked down I have little confidence that that's actually the case because they can't actually give me an estimated delivery over the phone. They just keep telling me to go back to the online estimator which is perpetually wrong.

...I think 2 months is an adequate amount of time for the site to update and I think a reasonable person would conclude that if the site is reporting inaccurate information it stands to reason that the problem might not be solved,..
I am usually the king of saying hold tight, but you need that fixed ASAP if you want the highly optioned long range version before the likely tax change. I placed a deposit two months ago in September and currently have a July 2018 AWD delivery date. The delivery estimator shows that I could switch to December 2017 RWD long range.

Except they didn't fix it when I first called, despite ensuring me that they had...

I default to believing what a person or organization tells me until they have proven themselves untrustworthy. In this case, they already made me a promise once (specifically that my estimate would update properly during the next batch update) which they failed to keep. That, combined with the fact that different people on this forum are having similar problems and are being given conflicting information tells me that Tesla does not have their act together and they're just muddling through and making promises as convenient to get people off the phone. And some people in my situation have had their dates updated correctly, so this really seems like a bug of some sort.

So that is when I set aside patience and trust. But I do, in general, give people the benefit of the doubt. Tesla has spent that goodwill already. And with reservation invitations going out, is now really the time for patience anyway? Now is the time for Tesla to get their act together and fulfill their promises.

Same issue here. Have a model S (3 weeks now) and am a 3/31 M3 reservation holder but no change to the estimator! All I get told is that they have submitted a ticket and the change should be coming? Is there any other way to expedite this? Email? Call again? Issue is I am now down to one car with the imminent launch of the 3 (LOL) so would be great to have the 3 sooner than later.

The group of us who have purchased an S/X and also are waiting for a Model 3 are kindof a small group I would imagine, maybe someone with a high profile twitter account should tweet Elon something like:
"Remember when you promised the way to get 3 quicker was to buy S/X? We complied, but our spot in line hasn't changed! [Link to this thread]"

That would not be me (high profile twitter account) but yeah it's pretty disappointing to say the least. I am not going to give up but don't know what the other avenues are to escalate apart from your suggestion above :)

Seems like having a high profile Twitter or YouTube account is the best way to get decent customer service these days. Tesla seems particularly responsive to this... witness what happened when Bjørn Nyland had his Model X break down while live streaming on YouTube. He ended up getting a brand new battery pack, and he didn't ever have to deal with the lack of response from CS/service for weeks on end that the rest of us have to deal with seemingly on a regular basis...

In addition to my Model 3 reservation priority issue, I'm having a bunch of electrical issues on the car causing sensor problems, and every time I call in to report the problem so they can pull logs I get something like "oh, that team still hasn't responded? They usually respond in 24 hours but I don't see an update... I'll pull logs and submit it again..."

This is all very interesting and I'll be watching. I've got my finger on the trigger for a 2013 S85 being sold locally here that I would get solely for the reason of receiving priority for my M3 then trading the S in once it arrives (It's a base model, high mileage,no tech package, etc...but a great price).

On one hand, yes it's frustrating to not have straight answers (as seems to be the case with many things Tesla...), but with this specific subset of people, at least any delay in M3 delivery only means more time in an S!

Reactions: ChadS
It sounds like the answer is no one here has seen their reservation bump. It’s only been about a week since I took delivery of my S100D. I’m not holding out hope the estimate will change despite being told by corporate, my OA, DS, and store manager that I will get a nice bump now that I’m an owner.

It sounds like the answer is no one here has seen their reservation bump. It’s only been about a week since I took delivery of my S100D. I’m not holding out hope the estimate will change despite being told by corporate, my OA, DS, and store manager that I will get a nice bump now that I’m an owner.

Keep pestering them! It won't work because all of those people (the OA, DS, store manager, and corporate CS reps) are completely powerless to actually fix this, but the more people that do it the more it will creep up on the priority list of the people who can fix it. They have a legal obligation to do this -- in most states, there is a severe penalty for failing to make good on a promise they made prior to the sale to entice you to make the purchase. (IANAL, but I believe "negligent misrepresentation" typically comes with 3x damages plus attorney's fees.)

(Before somebody jumps on me for mentioning that: I'm not threatening a lawsuit. I assume it won't come to that. I'm just saying, they can't really ignore this for much longer, unless they're just stupid, because somebody could sue and it should not cost them much to actually fix the problem, compared to what even a single lawsuit would cost.)