Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else cancelling a Tesla 3 order - 2 year free charging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still no one can tell me why so many are opposed to me cancelling one car and re-ordering it again- to gain 2 years of free charging as opposed to 6 months of 2,000 miles. Am I missing some massively large penalty? Looks like I get the full $2500 back... No?

Last edited:
No, if you feel that’s the right thing to do, go for it, for me I don’t care if a I scored a few free charging miles, I only take trips to Vegas maybe once or twice and it’s doesnt cost much compare to Fuel. As for me I would want my car now, not having to wait for another one, I waited 4 years and then they canceled the Standard Range. Paint prices went up and down while I waited in those 4 years.

I got lucky with the Plus before they upped the price again, but with the price increase they through in Auto Pilot. Who knows what other fees they will add tomorrow.

One last thing, the sales rep should be able to give you the 2 years on that car, maybe talk to a supervisor because they can do anything. The canceling of an order doesn’t make sense.

But to be on the safe side, do what they say, cancel and re-order. Make sure there are no fees attached.

Fred

No, if you feel that’s the right thing to do, go for it, for me I don’t care if a I scored a few free charging miles, I only take trips to Vegas maybe once or twice and it’s doesnt cost much compare to Fuel. As for me I would want my car now, not having to wait for another one, I waited 4 years and then they canceled the Standard Range. Paint prices went up and down while I waited in those 4 years.

I got lucky with the Plus before they upped the price again, but with the price increase they through in Auto Pilot. Who knows what other fees they will add tomorrow.

One last thing, the sales rep should be able to give you the 2 years on that car, maybe talk to a supervisor because they can do anything. The canceling of an order doesn’t make sense.

But to be on the safe side, do what they say, cancel and re-order. Make sure there are no fees attached.

Fred

Yep the only penalty I can see is an extra week wait. I am driving to SF Wednesday- car won't be in by then- so no rush after that.

Reactions: steve in socal
Still no one can tell me why so many are opposed to me cancelling one car and re-ordering it again- to gain 2 years of free charging as opposed to 6 months of 2,000 miles. Am I missing some massively large penalty? Looks like I get the full $2500 back... No?
Why do you have to cancel and reorder? No logic at all. You have an order in... if they get a car they can fit you in you get the supercharging plus free paint and wheel upgrade.. right?
Seems like a really good deal to pass up if you do have to cancel.

Yep the only penalty I can see is an extra week wait. I am driving to SF Wednesday- car won't be in by then- so no rush after that.

Why would there be an extra wait?. The idea is to get you to take an inventory car which should be available immediately.

As pointed out earlier, it's not what he pays for power at home. It's what the charge is for supercharging, since he has to supercharge on his trips to the cabins. Tesla lists the average supercharging rate as $0.28 per kwh. I checked along the east coast, and it seems to be around $0.25 per kwh. In northern california, it was about $0.28 per kwh. Along some of the highways it was $0.31 per kwh. So he'd probably save about $1400 over the two years.

Last edited:
Is that true? I was offered that option on my most recent purchase of a raven models s. There was no mention of having to change my configuration. Does this apply if you return a car after delivery within 7 days?
I was told by my friend who is an advisor if you return a car within the 7 day grace period you may not reorder the same model.
Meaning if you have a sr+ you cannot reorder another sr+ regardless of equiptment. Has to be either a awd or performance model.

Why would there be an extra wait?. The idea is to get you to take an inventory car which should be available immediately.

As pointed out earlier, it's not what he pays for power at home. It's what the charge is for supercharging, since he has to supercharge on his trips to the cabins. Tesla lists the average supercharging rate as $0.28 per kwh. I checked along the east coast, and it seems to be around $0.25 per kwh. In northern california, it was about $0.28 per kwh. Along some of the highways it was $0.31 per kwh. So he'd probably save about $1400 over the two years.

No AWD available within 200 miles of me in inventory. Sadly.

In the 5 months I've had my Model 3, I've spent a total of $40.19 at Superchargers.

Of that, $4.92 was before I got my Wall Connector installed.
$11.52 was from an unexpected middle-of-the-night run to Greenwich, Connecticut after leaving the car parked at the airport for a week. (Long story - I landed at midnight and immediately picked my brother & sis in law up so they could catch a 7am rebooked flight ...)

So, excluding unforseen circumstances, $23.75 in actual supercharging in 5 months.

Don't forsee using any in the next month, either. That's when the referral-credit-I-didn't-get would've expired anyway.

So what's a 2-year free unlimited supercharging credit worth with my usage pattern? Not much - cancelling and replacing the order wouldn't even remotely be worth it ...

Reactions: SSedan