Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else cancelling a Tesla 3 order - 2 year free charging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the 5 months I've had my Model 3, I've spent a total of $40.19 at Superchargers.

Of that, $4.92 was before I got my Wall Connector installed.
$11.52 was from an unexpected middle-of-the-night run to Greenwich, Connecticut after leaving the car parked at the airport for a week. (Long story - I landed at midnight and immediately picked my brother & sis in law up so they could catch a 7am rebooked flight ...)

So, excluding unforseen circumstances, $23.75 in actual supercharging in 5 months.

Don't forsee using any in the next month, either. That's when the referral-credit-I-didn't-get would've expired anyway.

So what's a 2-year free unlimited supercharging credit worth with my usage pattern? Not much - cancelling and replacing the order wouldn't even remotely be worth it ...

But for the five minutes it takes to cancel and put in a new order, why not? Obviously we're in very different areas, I used to live in Connecticut and I was there recently and it's hardly any superchargers, I am now in La where there is a supercharger everywhere. Literally I can go get lunch and supercharged if I want 5 min from my house.

Reactions: Daniel_6
But for the five minutes it takes to cancel and put in a new order, why not? Obviously we're in very different areas, I used to live in Connecticut and I was there recently and it's hardly any superchargers, I am now in La where there is a supercharger everywhere. Literally I can go get lunch and supercharged if I want 5 min from my house.

Depends. If you’ve already got paperwork in flight - financing, insurance, etc ... the PITA factory goes up quite a bit.

5 minutes, sure, worth doing. But if I’ve gotta chase paperwork down, nah. Not worth it. I just don’t supercharge.

Reactions: holmgang
Hi all newbie here. I want to place a order for tesla model3 , how would i find a sales represenative who can offer free color upgrade and wheel upgrade Or is it only for existing orders...
Just contact your local Tesla store. It's for new orders, and you must take delivery before the end of this month. That means you'll have to choose your car from what they have in inventory. But they can give some expensive options for free.

There is no question that 2 years of free supercharging is worth something. I have free supercharging for life on my Model S, in my situation, it is worth about $100 per year. No way I’m going to go even 5 minutes out of the way for free charging when charging at home is so convenient, it isn’t worth my time. Now road trips are another matter, but plenty of hotels have destination chargers. YMMV.

Reactions: SSedan
There is no question that 2 years of free supercharging is worth something. I have free supercharging for life on my Model S, in my situation, it is worth about $100 per year. No way I’m going to go even 5 minutes out of the way for free charging when charging at home is so convenient, it isn’t worth my time. Now road trips are another matter, but plenty of hotels have destination chargers. YMMV.

you can multitask while supercharging though, esp if convenient to other errands you're running. My only concern is its too fast and I'm rushing back sometimes!

In the 5 months I've had my Model 3, I've spent a total of $40.19 at Superchargers.

Of that, $4.92 was before I got my Wall Connector installed.
$11.52 was from an unexpected middle-of-the-night run to Greenwich, Connecticut after leaving the car parked at the airport for a week. (Long story - I landed at midnight and immediately picked my brother & sis in law up so they could catch a 7am rebooked flight ...)

So, excluding unforseen circumstances, $23.75 in actual supercharging in 5 months.

Don't forsee using any in the next month, either. That's when the referral-credit-I-didn't-get would've expired anyway.

So what's a 2-year free unlimited supercharging credit worth with my usage pattern? Not much - cancelling and replacing the order wouldn't even remotely be worth it ...

In my case, I spent about $1,000 in supercharging during the first 7 months I owned my Model 3. That was back when I lived in an apartment and couldn't charge at home nor work. Now, I think I've spent about $3k worth of supercharging in total over the year and half I've owned my car.

It certainly does save certain people money.

I really hate this argument. I see so many posts here from CA residents, which I think is 17-18 cents per kwh. In NY, I am over 19 cents per kwh. I am wondering if the average is 12, then there must be some states paying 5 or 6 cents per kwh.

Using "average" is not valid when there are such outliers as CA, NY and HI.

There are some areas of NY that aren't that high. I think people tend to forget the rest of the state is not nearly as stupid expensive as NYC area. I'm in the Capitol District (Albany area for non-NY'ers) and my rates are 4.4 cents on-peak and 2.6 cents off-peak. If you add the delivery charge and fees into that, it runs 10.95 cents and 9.15 cents. Although the peak and offf-peak do fluctuate a little, it doesn't get anywhere near 19 cents at home for me.

In my case, I spent about $1,000 in supercharging during the first 7 months I owned my Model 3. That was back when I lived in an apartment and couldn't charge at home nor work. Now, I think I've spent about $3k worth of supercharging in total over the year and half I've owned my car.

It certainly does save certain people money.

Absolutely! That’s why I said “in my situation” - I wouldn’t bother reordering. But in yours, I certainly would!

Just proves that one size never does fit all.

Given that I have a Pearl White, LR AWD, Black interior, 18” wheels Model 3, with no real need for supercharging ... all of these September incentives wouldn’t move the needle for me. Don’t want a color other than white, interior other than black, or wheels other than 18”. If I had “held out” waiting for end of quarter incentives, I would’ve missed out on 5 great months with my Model 3, and not come out any further ahead.

I guess my point is that chasing the “what if” game really has diminishing returns ...

Anyway, back to topic - if you’re in a situation like Pkmmte, this is a great deal. Jump on it!

Anyone out there who needs a contact at Tesla let me know.
He will make it worth your while. Works at corporate and can locate any car in the country.
1. Free upgraded wheels (19s)
2. Free upgraded interior (white)
3. Free color upgrade
4. Free supercharging for 2 years.

You choose 2 of them and possibly 3...
Message me for info. I cannot post his contact information publicly

Reactions: MikeR55
Just contact your local Tesla store. It's for new orders, and you must take delivery before the end of this month. That means you'll have to choose your car from what they have in inventory. But they can give some expensive options for free.

Ha! Inventory. 3 to 6 week wait for a,
He will make it worth your while. Works at corporate and can locate any car in the country.
3. Free color upgrade

Very cool- but then there is a charge I'd imagine to get the car to different parts of the country ?

3. Free color upgrade

I was told this was only applicable to orders placed prior to 9/10 for people who ordered one thing, but something in inventory that cost more was available, that they could then get it for price of what they ordered. They said they had to explain this to many people since this article came out at Electrek.com.

Reactions: MikeR55
I was told this was only applicable to orders placed prior to 9/10 for people who ordered one thing, but something in inventory that cost more was available, that they could then get it for price of what they ordered. They said they had to explain this to many people since this article came out at Electrek.com.

Glad I didn't cancel car #1 then Right now- I have 2 orders in- one before Sept 9 with 2,000 miles for 6 months SC and now the other with 2 yrs. Let's see if a better trim is available so I can take advantage and if not, I wait for the 2 year one as long as it comes in before Oct 1. Tesla doesn't make customer service easy that's for sure