Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get a 3 and regret not getting the S instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've configured a AWD 3 but I can't help but feel that I much prefer the S. I love the size, space, ride quality, dual display, and the looks of the S much more than the 3. However, I know the 3 is a much better buy in terms of value, range, tech, sound, etc.

Anyone here who got their 3 and wished they got the S instead?

• Disagree
Reactions: Trevor B and P85_DA
Life is too short to make compromises, especially if you have OCD. If you want an S/X over 3, you should get an S/X. And if you want both, get both, depending on your life priorities. Some people would rather just go hiking into the wild.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Agree with fr100. Get one of each if you can.

Same DNA, different personalities. We have a Model 3 and are awaiting a second one. The newer battery tech, range and cost all drove (pardon the pun) us to the 3. If the S75D had a similar range as the 3, we would pony up the extra cash. But we feel the 3 fits our needs better.

I agree with you about the size, ride, display and looks of the S. And pretty soon, Model 3s are going to be as commonplace as BMW 3 series. The S will always be a high class ride.

Anyone here who got their 3 and wished they got the S instead?

4 reasons to prefer the Model 3.
1. It's easier to park and not as wide, lots of people do not want a huge car
2. Save about $25,000
3. Model S has some design flaws, (a) incredibly heavy despite all-aluminum construction, (b) power limits when driven hard, the battery cooling system and overall design integration are just not as good as the model 3 as tesla was learning car design, (c) the model S has much worse mileage per electron.
4. Many people have said the driving position especially for the right leg/knee is far, far better in the Model 3.

I love the way the S looks. Especially the facelift version.
However after a few drives I found it was just too big.
Model 3 has enough Tesla DNA but all the advantages of being a smaller car.
Owning one hasn’t changed that viewpoint.

I can empathize with your situation. I’m on the fence between ordering a standard dual motor 3 or a 3-5 year old CPO S for around the same money. I like the looks and overall presence of the S, plus the rear facing seats would be a blast for my young kids. The 3 has newer tech and a sportier feel, along with a far easier purchase process of buying new vs hunting for used.

I've had both. I liked the hatchback on the S and its extra cargo room, but the fact that literally everything else on the 3 is better way outweighs those. It's just such a better designed car. You can really tell the lessons they learned, and how many things they did better. I like to say that the 3 is 80-90% the vehicle that the S is, for 50% the price. No joke.

Note, of course, some things are subjective. I found the S too large (as some others have said above), but some people love huge cars. I also vastly prefer the interior design of the 3 and its simplicity. Drive both and see what you like better.

Reactions: Pkmmte and Bobsil
I had a loaner S for several days, and it only confirmed for me that I made the right choice by waiting for the 3. The smoother ride, quieter cabin, and 2nd screen on the S are nice though.
If cost was no barrier I would have gotten a 100D X despite my opinion of it being the least attractive looking.

They are all the right answer, what question are you asking?

I have both... and love both. It is very subjective. A bigger car does not bother me and I love all the extra space of the S. The 3s seats are more comfortable. The S is faster but the 3 is more nimble. Door handles and entry (fob) are so much better on the S but the 3s center console (arm rest) is nicer. Easy to say what I like but it comes down to what you want. Sounds like you really want the S but you can't go wrong either way.

I've had both. I liked the hatchback on the S and its extra cargo room, but the fact that literally everything else on the 3 is better way outweighs those. It's just such a better designed car. You can really tell the lessons they learned, and how many things they did better. I like to say that the 3 is 80-90% the vehicle that the S is, for 50% the price. No joke.

Note, of course, some things are subjective. I found the S too large (as some others have said above), but some people love huge cars. I also vastly prefer the interior design of the 3 and its simplicity. Drive both and see what you like better.

+1

Selling our S to add a second 3