Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not getting Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm kicking around the idea of passing on EAP and using that money to help get my wife a base Model 3 in black (she likes black cars...bless her) with the only option (that she want) being AWD. We will see how it goes and what my finances look like.

I plan on waiting a few weeks to activate EAP after delivery. For one, there NO WAY I'm going to finance any part of a software activation - that just feels icky to me, paying interest on software. Secondly, I'll stretch out the grin-factor of the new car when I activate EAP, and FSD after that.

EAP is actually a key feature for me though - I'm looking forward to relaxed road trips where I'd normally fly up or down the east coast, and not have to deal with the hassle of taxis,airports checkin and security, car rentals, etc.

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for EAP to activate after purchase?

not entirely convinced I have EAP in my AP2 MS.

a lesser AP than AP1 maybe, but no sign of an E yet.

It will come no doubt, but buy what is avaiable at time of purchase
and view any improvements from there as a bonus not an assurance.

I plan on waiting a few weeks to activate EAP after delivery. For one, there NO WAY I'm going to finance any part of a software activation - that just feels icky to me, paying interest on software. Secondly, I'll stretch out the grin-factor of the new car when I activate EAP, and FSD after that.

EAP is actually a key feature for me though - I'm looking forward to relaxed road trips where I'd normally fly up or down the east coast, and not have to deal with the hassle of taxis,airports checkin and security, car rentals, etc.

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for EAP to activate after purchase?
For model S/X, activation after purchase is $1,000 more, not sure if that's changing with 3.

I've mentioned before, but am saving up for a dream house but need to replace at least one of our cars. Perfect that I can upgrade to EAP+FSD down the road.

If I could buy TACC for $1K I would, but the rest of EAP doesn't really matter to me.. once FSD is legal, I'll probably buy EAP+FSD all at once. Hopefully they'll have reduced the price by then?..

Love, love, love that the safety feature part of it is included.

If you factor in financing it over the life of the loan, plus the additional taxes and registration, it might not be too different from waiting.

If paying cash, probably better to purchase up front.

Even if paying cash. If you could instead invest the $5k in a fund returning an average 4% interest for 5 years, you'd make more than the extra cost of purchasing autopilot as an add-on.

As always, people, remember that cars aren't investments. Don't buy things that you don't particularly want/need on speculation that they'll make your car more valuable later. Buy only what you want / need when you buy it.

Last edited:
life of the car
Even if paying cash. If you could instead invest the $5k in a fund returning an average 4% interest for 5 years, you'd make more than the extra cost of purchasing autopilot as an add-on.

As always, people, remember that cars aren't investments. Don't buy things that you don't particularly want/need on speculation that they'll make your car more valuable later. But only what you want / need when you buy it.
Yes, if you don't want autopilot, there are better places to use your money.

If you want autopilot, investing for 5 years isn't going to get it for you.

Reactions: Pkmmte
100% buying AP for M3. If hypothetically EAP is not offered I would buy a Leaf or Bolt.

I cannot imagine I will be driving a car without AP anymore.
I might be the minority, but I wouldn't be driving an electric car if it weren't for the autopilot. That's the only reason I drive Tesla.

The electric is fun, but not worth the cost of the car.

If you want autopilot, investing for 5 years isn't going to get it for you.

That's not what was stated. Investing your $5k at 4% (not that impressive of a return) for five years will earn you more than the extra cost of having to buy it later. So if you are just waiting for some future date when autopilot will be better than it is today, don't buy it now. Keep your money and do something better with it, and then buy it when (if) it meets your needs.

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingRockies
I don't plan to. My priorities are metallic paint, AWD, 19" wheels, in that order. EAP is way down the list.

I had the opportunity to use a Model S with EAP a month ago and came away pretty non-plussed; likewise with TACC, although possibly because I just wasn't use to it. I'm sure autopilot will be great in the fullness of time, but I'm happy waiting until it's much better (and much less expensive).

I might be the minority, but I wouldn't be driving an electric car if it weren't for the autopilot. That's the only reason I drive Tesla.

The electric is fun, but not worth the cost of the car.

I think we both are perhaps saying the same thing. It was fun driving just an EV without AP, until Tesla introduced AP. Now I can see myself not driving an EV, although as painful as it would be, but not without AP.