Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone on 2019.32.12.4 and will Scheduled Departure work with Octopus Go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't use scheduled departure as I have a smart cable (Ohme) but I have never had any problem with the Tesla not waking up to accept charge. Or is that not what you mean?

I think that's because you use the Ohme, isn't it? Normal charge points don't wake the M3 from sleep to accept a charge that is coming from the charge point. I understand that the difference is the Ohme uses the Tesla API to wake the car. I believe the only other option if using other charge points presently if to use Teslafi to wake the car (also using the API).

Hi all

Just after some advice please. With Octopus Go, what’s the best way of charging within the overnight 4 hr window without teslafi etc?

My daily charging never exceeds 4 hours, so it’s just a matter of getting the car to charge within the 4 hour window. If the departure time is set to 4am, I presume the car will work back from that and commence charging so it’s scheduled to finish at 4am. But doesn't this also condition the car ready to go (in this case a few hours until I actually use it)?

seems no easy way without teslafi which isn’t ideal. Unless I’m mistaken ?

many thanks

I charge at 10A so add 11% to the charge limit then schedule charge at 00:30. Its normally within the 4 hour window, and if not, its only a few pennys out.

If you charge at 32A, try adding 35% and see how you get on and adjust if necessary.

upload_2020-7-15_15-27-1.png

Hi all

Just after some advice please. With Octopus Go, what’s the best way of charging within the overnight 4 hr window without teslafi etc?

My daily charging never exceeds 4 hours, so it’s just a matter of getting the car to charge within the 4 hour window. If the departure time is set to 4am, I presume the car will work back from that and commence charging so it’s scheduled to finish at 4am. But doesn't this also condition the car ready to go (in this case a few hours until I actually use it)?

many thanks
Can you set a timer within your home charger?
I’m on Go too but won’t be using off peak until solar generation drops off in October.
My Zappi charger can set boosts during off peak. I believe that’s what I need to use.

there is of course the spectre of 16amp charging which I believe is only cured by update 2020.28.x. That could potentially drop a 28Kwh charge to 14Kwh in the four hours.

Hi all

many thanks
If you have an Android phone, you can use an App called "Tasker" (£3ish) and you need the addin called "Tasker Plugin for Tesla" (£2ish). Both available on Play Store for a one off fee. Once installed you can setup a Timer profile for Charge on and off

I use the above to turn Bluetooth off & on in the evening to the early morning. Also i have set a charge stop @4pm and back on at 7pm for Agile if I’m charging on a Sunday. And also a Sentry Mode on/off from 9pm to 4am every night at home.

I do have Teslafi but will be switching over to Teslamate in a month or 2 as @DaveW did a fantastic guide on Teslamate on a google server :), The one thing i would miss was the scheduler on Teslafi but Tasker has filled in that spot.

Tasker is a powerful little app for Android and i have only scratched the surface on its abilities.

Link to app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crazydog.teslatasker&hl=en_GB

Noticed it can do more than a simple on/off thing. You could monitor your charge kw and if it drops to less than 6kw you could tell it to stop then restart your charge? (Not tried, but possible)

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.
Hi all

many thanks
If your daily charging never exceeds 4 hours then by far and away the most straight forward way is to just schedule the charge start time to be 00:30* from within the car - then you know it will start at the beginning of Go and be finished before then end. Ignore the departure time setting altogether because it's an either/or setting with the start charge timer. With the scheduled charge start set you just get home and plug it in and the car will just wait until 00:30 and then start to charge until it reaches the set state of charge target.

* Assuming you are on the default Go tariff of course.

Reactions: pow216 and NewbieT
I have the Ohme wall charger. From the Ohme App you can set what tariff you are on, it automatically recognizes the majority of tariffs out there and sets the cost/kWh and times automatically.
There is an option then to never charge above a certain cost/kWh. If this is enabled and you set the limit to 5p or whichever your cheapest rate is, then it will limit charging to between those times. This will also apply to the Agile tariff. The only other schedule to set is the target range/% SOC. So for the Go tariff, if your car is below the stated target range, then at 00:30 it will start charging until it gets to 04:30 or the target range, whichever is first.

You can also set it to charge to a target range by xx:xx time as well in lieu of the car's own schedule charging, this is what I am currently using as I found the Tesla's own scheduled charging to finish way too early for some reason. i.e. its gets to my target % 2-3 hours before my scheduled departure. With the Ohme, it gets to target within a few mins of the time I set. It also ramps the charge so it doesn't just charge at the max 32A rate if it doesn't need to, to optimise battery life. The only downside I have found is that I have to do any pre-departure interior conditioning manually. Being summer at the moment its not been too much of an issue.

I have not had any issues with the charger not waking the car up from sleep or deep sleep.

I have had an issue with the charge to Max ASAP feature, but the customer service was really good, they identified the fault within a couple of hours and are putting a software update in place to fix it within a week they said.

I have been really impressed with Ohme so far.

Worth pointing out that any pre conditioning/hvac use seems to be prioritised to come out of mains power rather than battery. So if even you are fully charged (and charge limit below actual) but connected to charge point, its going to come from your current electricity rate rather than any you may have stored at a cheaper rate.

Reactions: UrbanSplash