Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone received delivery of 2019 'Raven' Refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also isnt it they changed battery cooling system to the one like Model 3 and that should be changing the battery pack version.

I have seen people keep saying that, but I have yet to see any proof. (And Tesla specifically said that the battery was not changed.)

Changing the cooling to be like the Model 3 pack would be a complete redesign of the pack, not just letter revision which normally means something minor was changed. (Like maybe a newer version of a single part inside the pack.)

Tesla did mention that cooling was changed, but there were no details. Was it cabin cooling? MCU cooling? APE cooling? Brake cooling? Inverter cooling? Charge port cooling? Motor cooling? Or were they just saying that in reference to the front drive unit having better cooling because it is essentially a Model 3 rear drive unit that has different/better cooling. (Which is what I think is most likely.)

Here is the new battery version sticker from Raven Model S
upload_2019-6-20_16-57-10.png

video link of guy with non Raven and Raven model "S" comparing diff

Hi all, following up on the steering wheel vibration comment. Just had service and they rebalanced the front tires and seemed to have put more air in the tires. However, at highway constant speed at exactly 75mph, I still feel the steering wheel vibrate. It’s not drastic but I feel it.

Can other raven owners simply drive at 75mph and report if their steering wheel vibrates a little? I’m hoping it’s just regular driving characteristics and not something the service center missed.

I have seen people keep saying that, but I have yet to see any proof. (And Tesla specifically said that the battery was not changed.)

Changing the cooling to be like the Model 3 pack would be a complete redesign of the pack, not just letter revision which normally means something minor was changed. (Like maybe a newer version of a single part inside the pack.)

Tesla did mention that cooling was changed, but there were no details. Was it cabin cooling? MCU cooling? APE cooling? Brake cooling? Inverter cooling? Charge port cooling? Motor cooling? Or were they just saying that in reference to the front drive unit having better cooling because it is essentially a Model 3 rear drive unit that has different/better cooling. (Which is what I think is most likely.)

They dint change the battery architecture, just cooling pattern on how that cooling strip touches every cell rather than just alternate row cells, I am trying to find the video I saw where they explained how that small cooling array changed battery temps on supercharging allowing them for higher speed charging rates.

They might have def changed something in battery if not how come only Raven versions can draw 200KW speeds on V3, unless I misunderstood and 200KW speed is on all S and X models not just Raven.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
They dint change the battery architecture, just cooling pattern on how that cooling strip touches every cell rather than just alternate row cells, I am trying to find the video I saw where they explained how that small cooling array changed battery temps on supercharging allowing them for higher speed charging rates.

They might have def changed something in battery if not how come only Raven versions can draw 200KW speeds on V3, unless I misunderstood and 200KW speed is on all S and X models not just Raven.

I'll be interested to see that video. As far as I know, no one has posted anything on a disassembled "Raven" battery. The 3 certainly uses a different cooling system, with an extruded corrugated multipath channel that's sequenced differently, but I'd expect it to take major changes to incorporate that into an S/X pack.

We know that the wiring from the chargeport to the pack in the legacy S/X was much flimsier than it is in the 3, and it's likely that this was one of the bottlenecks for maximum charge rate. If they changed that, they'd presumably get more power before they hit the next bottleneck, so it seems reasonable to think that's what they did and the 200 kW is the limit for the legacy 100 kWh packs themselves, but the car's wiring holds legacy S/X to the 145 kW.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Hi all, following up on the steering wheel vibration comment. Just had service and they rebalanced the front tires and seemed to have put more air in the tires. However, at highway constant speed at exactly 75mph, I still feel the steering wheel vibrate. It’s not drastic but I feel it.

Can other raven owners simply drive at 75mph and report if their steering wheel vibrates a little? I’m hoping it’s just regular driving characteristics and not something the service center missed.

I don't have any vibration at any speeds but my LR X was pulling to the right, so the SC realigned everything and it's fine now.

Check this thread

Model X Steering Vibration at High Speed

I just finished a round trip (200 mile one way) from Abilene to Austin and back. Most of the trip was at 75mph. No vibrations whatsoever. Ride was very smooth with the adaptive suspension...

I'll be interested to see that video. As far as I know, no one has posted anything on a disassembled "Raven" battery. The 3 certainly uses a different cooling system, with an extruded corrugated multipath channel that's sequenced differently, but I'd expect it to take major changes to incorporate that into an S/X pack.

We know that the wiring from the chargeport to the pack in the legacy S/X was much flimsier than it is in the 3, and it's likely that this was one of the bottlenecks for maximum charge rate. If they changed that, they'd presumably get more power before they hit the next bottleneck, so it seems reasonable to think that's what they did and the 200 kW is the limit for the legacy 100 kWh packs themselves, but the car's wiring holds legacy S/X to the 145 kW.
Tesla did mentioned improved cooling as one of the factors for increased range, this along with new 100KWH battery version info makes sense so I totally believed that info without any doubt. Lets see def some one like rich builds will def tear this down to know what exactly Tesla did inside.

Tesla did mentioned improved cooling as one of the factors for increased range, this along with new 100KWH battery version info makes sense so I totally believed that info without any doubt. Lets see def some one like rich builds will def tear this down to know what exactly Tesla did inside.

As far as I know, the only mention of improved cooling was here:

All Model S and X vehicles now benefit from Tesla’s latest generation of drive unit technology, which combines an optimized permanent magnet synchronous reluctance motor, silicon carbide power electronics, and improved lubrication, cooling, bearings, and gear designs to achieve greater than 93% efficiency.

I would have thought that the text clearly pointed to that being improved drive unit cooling, just like it's improved drive unit lubrication and improved gear designs in the drive unit.

In fairness, improved drive unit cooling is important, since it's drive motor rotor temps that lead to all the high speed run and track run power limiting folks complain about.

I have had my MX for about 1 wk now and did not experience any vibration.

I need some advice here, we are about to take on a 10 hr road trip (5hrs both ways) in the X with a vibrating steering wheel. Could it be power steering related and not tires? Would I be doing worse damage to the vehicle by embarking on such a long drive? Could really use some advice.....

I need some advice here, we are about to take on a 10 hr road trip (5hrs both ways) in the X with a vibrating steering wheel. Could it be power steering related and not tires? Would I be doing worse damage to the vehicle by embarking on such a long drive? Could really use some advice.....

I have an older, non-Raven X, but I had a vibration at steady highway speeds, similar to what you describe. A regular wheel balance procedure didn't cure the symptoms, but a road force balance did the trick. Might be worth trying if you've exhausted other options.

Reactions: reardencode
Anyone have this happen to them? 3 weeks ago my Mx raven went into production and I got a vin on the website. 3 days ago the vin disappeared and I called Tesla. They told me the car is still in production so I called my delivery guy and he told me the car finished production but it didn’t pass the inspection and they started building a new car and it should be completed soon with a June 27th delivery. I highly doubt that the car will reach the east coast with all the things that have happened.

Anyone have this happen to them? 3 weeks ago my Mx raven went into production and I got a vin on the website. 3 days ago the vin disappeared and I called Tesla. They told me the car is still in production so I called my delivery guy and he told me the car finished production but it didn’t pass the inspection and they started building a new car and it should be completed soon with a June 27th delivery. I highly doubt that the car will reach the east coast with all the things that have happened.

If you look through the other threads, in a similar timeframe several other people had glitches with cars being built with incorrect interior trim/seat combinations that didn’t match their order. A few took delivery anyway, I and some others did not. I just got a new VIN yesterday with (hopefully) the right interior. It makes me wonder if you may have been in the same situation and they caught their error later.

I have an older, non-Raven X, but I had a vibration at steady highway speeds, similar to what you describe. A regular wheel balance procedure didn't cure the symptoms, but a road force balance did the trick. Might be worth trying if you've exhausted other options.

Can the road force balance be done at the service center or do I need to go to a local shop?

EDIT: I noticed that the Tesla Service Center (per the Hunter website) has a Road Force Touch system and not a Road Force Elite system. Which did you have yours done on?

Last edited:
If you look through the other threads, in a similar timeframe several other people had glitches with cars being built with incorrect interior trim/seat combinations that didn’t match their order. A few took delivery anyway, I and some others did not. I just got a new VIN yesterday with (hopefully) the right interior. It makes me wonder if you may have been in the same situation and they caught their error later.
Yup. I read all the threads and I’m well aware of these issues. They didn’t tell me the reason behind it but I had a feeling it was something like this. My service advisor did say there is a new vin and I asked for it so I can send it to my bank that’s taking care of my loan. I just hope it gets here by end of month.

Can the road force balance be done at the service center or do I need to go to a local shop?

EDIT: I noticed that the Tesla Service Center (per the Hunter website) has a Road Force Touch system and not a Road Force Elite system. Which did you have yours done on?

I don’t recall which machine my service center had. You can take it to Tesla, or to any local shop. Tesla might do it for free, as in my case, whereas a shop will charge you.

Stopped by Tesla since I was in the area... mine isn’t on site yet.
Fingers crossed for Monday... I did check out the Raven X they had. I’m excited! The fit, the finish. The falcon wing doors that were so quiet in motion. The newer buttons. All good! The higher seating position. (Than my S/3). Love it.

• Informative
Reactions: 19x100D