Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret buying the Acceleration Boost for their Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left for home early a few days ago and a BMW Z4 followed by a Merc rolled up behind me while I was stuck behind some traffic. Things cleared and I sped-up. The Z4 tried to tag along for a bit, but then I hit the 'Boost on a straight away. The Merc just disappeared. :D

BMW: (M)aybe you can hang, otherwise it's bye bye
Merc: Probably same for AMG

MY_vs_BMW_Z4_and_Merc.jpg

This thread is a great one but I have a few concerns about AB. We just changed our MYP order to an MY LR. While I wanted the acceleration of the MYP, I didn't want the crappy tires and worse suspension. So MY LR it is. I just wish they'd bring back the MYP Stealth!

When I asked our SA today, he made it sound like they could drop the AB option at any time. He was very carefully saying don't buy the MY LR and assume it will still be an option when you receive your MY LR. It was almost like he heard they might be dropping it in the future and wanted to make sure if that was part of my buying decision, to not make it part of it.

So I assume by the posts here, that it is still an available option. Anyone heard anything regarding that it might be dropped anytime soon? I'd hate the get the MY LR and be stuck with the acceleration as is. At the same time I don't want to drop another 6k on the MYP to get rid of the terrible wheel/tire combo and go with coilovers. If my wife would go with the M3 LR, I'd be set, but she wants the bigger MY.
It's an easy money maker for Tesla, it's not going anywhere.

My philosophy on this, I ordered the MY long range instead of the performance because even the Y performance would not be able to match the fastest car I owned a few years ago (Lancer EVO RS, heavily modified, 1/4 mile in 11.5 @ 125 mph). Since even the fastest Y is not faster than my EVO was, no need to spend an extra 10K on a low 12 / high 11 second car vs getting the mid 12 second car.

Being comfortable with aftermarket modifications to my EVO I have to ask about aftermarket for Tesla. With the official acceleration boost for $2,000 what about aftermarket performance boost solutions? Why go for a 4.2 sec zero to 60 for $2000 when you can get the whole enchilada for $2395? If we are not allowed to talk about things like that here, mods feel free to edit...

Keith

Reactions: hyp36rmax
I think it is because the whole enchilada requires you to have a certain motor so you can unlock all the performance and the recent build Y's don't have it from what I've read. Their other option while not as much bump, seems to have some nice bonus features. Those alone might be worth having without going with a performance boost.

What I would like is my daily driver to be in the high 3's, low 4's 0-60. The M3 LR is pretty close to where I'd like to be. It launches a little slow but once rolling is pretty quick.

The M3P is claimed to be 3.1 with rollout so let's call it 3.3 without. The M3 LR is 4.2 without rollout. So the M3P is 0.9 seconds quicker.
The MYP is claimed to be 3.5 with rollout so let's call it 3.7 without. The MY LR is 4.8 without rollout. So the M3P is 1.1 seconds quicker.

If the MY LR with acceleration boost would run at least as quick as the M3 LR, I'd probably be happy with it on a daily basis. But they claim AB knocks about .4-.5 seconds off the 0-60 time for the MY LR so it will still be slower than a stock M3 LR from what I've been able to find about the test run.

We drove the M3 and MY again back to back. My wife clearly doesn't want to go with the M3. So back to keeping our order for the MY. She doesn't like the ride quality fo the MYP and I can't see dropping another 6k to get rid of the heavy wheels and put on coilovers to make it ride comparable to our outgoing car. All I can hope is the AB improves the acceleration enough of the MY LR to not be unhappy with it long-term, especially for the 2k they are charging for it.

So I purchased the Acceleration boost and it seems to be faster at accelerating above 25mph. like starting at 0 and taking off seems like Tesla is holding back power until you hit 30 then there is the violent acceleration. Does anybody else notice this? Also for the life of me I can’t get a tire to spin when accelerating, is there a mode to permanently turn off traction control?

I think what you are describing is the same across all MY and M3 models except for the performance. It seems like power is severely limited at launch for the non-performance variants. And it seemed like the MYP was limited at launch compared to the M3P. Once rolling they seemed very similar and honestly the MY LR and M3 LR weren't that far off the performance models once rolling. I would imagine there is some sort of torque limiting going on to increase the longevity of the lower performance motors (at least on the 2021 models).

I don't think it is going to go any faster with any wheel spin though it might seem fun. I think they have the traction control dialed in quite well for the best launch you can get since the torque is so consistent when launching off the line compared to an ICE car.

Honestly that hard launch is what I'll miss the most with not going with the MYP vs the MY LR or MY LR +AB though I'd use it the least. The great roll-on acceleration I can use on a daily basis but not as impressive a party trick as the hard launches.

@FormationLap
To be perfectly honest, I've never driven an Acceleration Boosted LR MY (nor a MYP for that matter) and only have our regular LR AWD as a reference point but for me personally I don't see the need to get it any faster. When I put my foot down, this thing just moves, basically effortlessly.

What is this "need" you speak of, lol? I don't think anyone "needs" it to be faster, they just "want" it faster, lol. Maybe that's the differentiator... If you have to ask yourself if you need it to be faster, you could possibly regret it... But if you just want it to be faster, then you'll be smiling from ear to ear every time you punch it... For me, I would've gotten the MYP, but I didn't want to bother with replacing the summer tires for something more suitable for my needs, so the LR+AB was a good alternative for me.

My philosophy on this, I ordered the MY long range instead of the performance because even the Y performance would not be able to match the fastest car I owned a few years ago (Lancer EVO RS, heavily modified, 1/4 mile in 11.5 @ 125 mph). Since even the fastest Y is not faster than my EVO was, no need to spend an extra 10K on a low 12 / high 11 second car vs getting the mid 12 second car.

Being comfortable with aftermarket modifications to my EVO I have to ask about aftermarket for Tesla. With the official acceleration boost for $2,000 what about aftermarket performance boost solutions? Why go for a 4.2 sec zero to 60 for $2000 when you can get the whole enchilada for $2395? If we are not allowed to talk about things like that here, mods feel free to edit...

Keith
What was your 0-60 on the Evo

Well the good thing about the performance testers like Dragy and Racebox, are very close to your times at the strip. I have tested them across about 10 vehicles from the 15's to the 9's and they are so close to the times at the strip that I use them for normal testing and tuning all the time now. Not to mention you can get a lot more data and easily work with it (other than Dragy).

Reactions: whisperingshad

Keith

Hey! Another 4G63 guy! I still own a 1992 Eclipse GSX, but don’t drive it any more…72,000 miles on it. Ran a best of 11.8 at 120. Everyone always asks my 0-60 time too. Mid 3’s maybe? They don’t give that number at the drag strip and Dragy didn’t exist back then! The difference between these ICE cars and the Tesla is consistency. Getting that launch just right to run those times was tough. The MYP should be almost the same as my Eclipse EVERY time. Even on the street. Can’t wait to have that speed back in A comfy daily driver.

MYP was an easy choice for me. That extra .4 seconds in the 0-60 world is a LOT of time. I “need” speed. 😇 But like everyone has said, if you have the money for AB, I can’t imagine regretting it!

Reactions: Fourdoor
I went down the rabbit hole of highly modified ICE cars (and motorcycles) way too much. Best lesson I learned is to try and buy all the speed I wanted up front with the exception of if I could unlock a lot more power through an ECU upgrade/flash or maybe just an exhaust swap. Those were often good bang for the buck. This is where the OTA update for the AB is very appealing.

I wish the perf version of the M3 and MY came with better wheels/tires and suspension. However at the end of the fact that I can get such a quick car AND still have a full factory warranty is pretty compelling.

I am still on the fence with my MY order and waffle back and forth between the MYP and MY LR. With the rollout of the MIT MYs, it seems like they would most likely probably produce the MYP there since there is limited volume of the new battery packs. Seems highly likely that a new MYP 2.0 could be out by the end of the year. Maybe some build issues, but likely better than they are now. Whatever comes out will have the major platform change incorporated. So a new MYP could weigh less if going with the new batteries which would result in better performance for similar range OR have better range with similar performance. Either way I would have hated to buy current gen MYP and have a significant platform shift come out shortly thereafter.

I don't mind missing on an incremental upgrade like acoustic glass windows, or different console material, but this major platform change is worth waiting for. Not as likely to immediately roll out to the MY LR since there likely isn't enough volume now. So if I buy the MY LY, I have a bit more time before the significantly upgraded model arrives. I would definitely like more range on the MYP or MY LR, especially if I end up towing.

What is very curious is that the projected order times for the MYP is 3-5 weeks ad the MY LR is 4-12. Before the times were about the same (as MY LR)when I ordered my MYP originally. So curious why the big decrease in build times for the MYP.

I went down the rabbit hole of highly modified ICE cars (and motorcycles) way too much. Best lesson I learned is to try and buy all the speed I wanted up front with the exception of if I could unlock a lot more power through an ECU upgrade/flash or maybe just an exhaust swap. Those were often good bang for the buck. This is where the OTA update for the AB is very appealing.

I wish the perf version of the M3 and MY came with better wheels/tires and suspension. However at the end of the fact that I can get such a quick car AND still have a full factory warranty is pretty compelling.

What is very curious is that the projected order times for the MYP is 3-5 weeks ad the MY LR is 4-12. Before the times were about the same (as MY LR)when I ordered my MYP originally. So curious why the big decrease in build times for the MYP.
Here are my thoughts since my garage has a LR Y with the AB and a M3P.

The M3P, off the line, is faster than the MYP (and obviously faster than the MYLR with AB). Once at speed, though, the Performance versions don't have much, if any, advantage. This can be visible by looking at 30-70 times or any of the dyno chart comparisons. That being said, if you do drag racing or a lot of street races from a dig, the Performance is the way to go, if you're looking at the purchase decision solely based on acceleration. Personally, I don't do much drag racing any longer no do I roam the streets on a Friday or Saturday night looking to make a few muscle cars cry. In terms of acceleration for what I use it for (merging at highway speeds or passing), the MYLR with AB feels great, even compared to the M3P, and there's no advantage to the P while at speeds of 30+ mph. I wish the Dragy GPS would have a measurement for 30-70 or 30-100. All they have is 60-130 mph.

Reactions: Big Earl
Here are my thoughts since my garage has a LR Y with the AB and a M3P.

The M3P, off the line, is faster than the MYP (and obviously faster than the MYLR with AB). Once at speed, though, the Performance versions don't have much, if any, advantage. This can be visible by looking at 30-70 times or any of the dyno chart comparisons. That being said, if you do drag racing or a lot of street races from a dig, the Performance is the way to go, if you're looking at the purchase decision solely based on acceleration. Personally, I don't do much drag racing any longer no do I roam the streets on a Friday or Saturday night looking to make a few muscle cars cry. In terms of acceleration for what I use it for (merging at highway speeds or passing), the MYLR with AB feels great, even compared to the M3P, and there's no advantage to the P while at speeds of 30+ mph. I wish the Dragy GPS would have a measurement for 30-70 or 30-100. All they have is 60-130 mph.
Your logic parallels mine in a lot of ways. You can setup custom speed parameters for Dragy. I did a bunch of them. First connect to dragy then navigate to the GO screen. Towards the middle right you will see a plus sign. Click that and then on the top right you will see the word, "Add", then setup whatever you like.

Now please test your MY LR AB and M3P from 50-70 or 30-70 and see how they compare. Please report back what you see. Actually I would love to see 10-60 mph for both.

Well the good thing about the performance testers like Dragy and Racebox, are very close to your times at the strip. I have tested them across about 10 vehicles from the 15's to the 9's and they are so close to the times at the strip that I use them for normal testing and tuning all the time now. Not to mention you can get a lot more data and easily work with it (other than Dragy).
Nice.
The 93 Vr4 we had was definitely fast but my Y is definitely faster :)

It is all a matter of perspective. Back then the VR4 was a lot of fun. I had a Gallant VR4 and then the Stealth Twin Turbo. I think HKS got all my paychecks for an entire year considering all the money I dumped in both of those cars.

Amazing how much performance you get off the showroom floor in your little family hauler that looks so unassuming. It was hard to fool people with my AMG E63 S wagon. Pretty amazing when the MYP will run almost heads up with it 0-60 for about half the price and looks a lot more like a sleeper than even the king of sleepers.

re: burn-outs

No track mode for MY so far. I think MPP has a defeat device called Party Box. It might be available.

So I purchased the Acceleration boost and it seems to be faster at accelerating above 25mph. like starting at 0 and taking off seems like Tesla is holding back power until you hit 30 then there is the violent acceleration. Does anybody else notice this? Also for the life of me I can’t get a tire to spin when accelerating, is there a mode to permanently turn off traction control?

On the fence about paying the $3k CAD (taxes in) for the Acceleration Boost on the Model Y Long Range. Have heard lots of positive reviews, but I'm worried those people may be the only ones posting. Has anyone bought the upgrade and regretted it? I know that there's the option of trying it for a day and then backing out, want to know how people have enjoyed it over time. Has anyone not been impressed by the boost?
I notice an accel boost w/ my upgrade. Not a huge diff but still noticeable. The 0-60 time supposedly improves from 4.8 to 4.2. Still slower than the 3.5 w/ Perf Y but nevertheless a noticeable boost.

Those times are a direct comparision. The performance model's times factor in rollout. It is much closer than it looks on paper as Tesla is practically deceptive with their stats for the performance model.

Look at what Car and Driver posted for their times for the Model Y Performance test.
60 mph: 3.6 sec
100 mph: 9.1 sec
1/4 mile: 12.1 sec @ 113 mph
130 mph: 17.8 sec
150 mph: 29.5 sec
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.

If Tesla's rollout is similar, than add .3 seconds to all the clalimed times. At a minium add .2 seconds to the performance model times if you want to give Teslat a BIG benefit of the doubt OR take off .2/.3 seconds off the non-performance models.

So you can view it in one of 2 ways.
rollout / without rollout
MYP 3.6/3.9 or 3.5/3.8 (depending on whose test you believe, I quoted C&Ds for reference)
MY LR AB 3.9/4.2
MY LR no AB 4.5/4.8

So it is MUCH closer than you would think. Even closer on the M3 variants.