Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret buying the Acceleration Boost for their Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
She coming home with a 4k purse :p
Glad to see I am not the only one dealing with those kinds of ratios.

Just got the car back from tinting and ppf. Carefully chose the card that already closed its balance cycle. So at least that won't show up for a bit and can probably squeeze in the AB on another one and have about 30 days before she comes up. A few nice dinners before the statements show up and maybe my ratio will be closer to 1:1 or more optimally .5:1 .

I thought of the best out so to speak anyway. It was her strongly pushing away from the MYP so this is my chance to remind her of all the money we saved by not buying that one and a 2k upgrade gets me to about 95% of the way to the MYP but with the ride quality she wanted...

I'll let you know in about a month if that worked or now. I am starting "Operation French Restaurant" this weekend.

• Funny
Reactions: pt19713

Just got the car back from tinting and ppf. Carefully chose the card that already closed its balance cycle. So at least that won't show up for a bit and can probably squeeze in the AB on another one and have about 30 days before she comes up. A few nice dinners before the statements show up and maybe my ratio will be closer to 1:1 or more optimally .5:1 .

I thought of the best out so to speak anyway. It was her strongly pushing away from the MYP so this is my chance to remind her of all the money we saved by not buying that one and a 2k upgrade gets me to about 95% of the way to the MYP but with the ride quality she wanted...

I'll let you know in about a month if that worked or now. I am starting "Operation French Restaurant" this weekend.
if we don't hear from you in a couple months, we'll bring flowers to the graveside

In another thread, I read where a guys wife has a stealth MYP... she drives it in chill mode all the time :( To me, THAT is a huge waste of $$$

Keith
I read that too and was sort of shocked too. While my wife may not enjoy speed as much as I do, she doesn't mind letting it go a bit more from time to time but there are limits for her.

After driving a bunch of Teslas, I've learned my wife's comfort level, errr - tolerance better to say, for how quickly the vehicle accelerates while she is a passenger. Based on numerous test runs, and sometimes a highly pissed-off wife, anything faster than about 4.0 second 0-60 risks me enduring bodily harm. AB will put me right up to that edge I think.

Our child though is an adrenalin junkie like me. When we were in the M3P, she kept telling me to go "vroom, vroom" which are her code words to accelerate hard.

I read that too and was sort of shocked too. While my wife may not enjoy speed as much as I do, she doesn't mind letting it go a bit more from time to time but there are limits for her.

After driving a bunch of Teslas, I've learned my wife's comfort level, errr - tolerance better to say, for how quickly the vehicle accelerates while she is a passenger. Based on numerous test runs, and sometimes a highly pissed-off wife, anything faster than about 4.0 second 0-60 risks me enduring bodily harm. AB will put me right up to that edge I think.

Our child though is an adrenalin junkie like me. When we were in the M3P, she kept telling me to go "vroom, vroom" which are her code words to accelerate hard.

My wife is not a speed demon when driving, therefor if she wanted a Tesla we would not be getting her the performance version! As is, she finds the Chevy Bolt plenty fast and that will be her run around town car while the on order MY LR becomes my daily driver. How much was the price difference between the LR and the P back when you could get the stealth P? What ever that price difference was, that family wasted that money :(

Keith

My wife is not a speed demon when driving, therefor if she wanted a Tesla we would not be getting her the performance version! As is, she finds the Chevy Bolt plenty fast and that will be her run around town car while the on order MY LR becomes my daily driver. How much was the price difference between the LR and the P back when you could get the stealth P? What ever that price difference was, that family wasted that money :(

Keith
I can't say I would have done that, but if they want to waste their money, that is their choice. Reminds me of all the trailer queens I used to see at the car show. I bought my vehicles to use, not put in a museum. I would drive my car there, clean it up, get my trophy, go home. To each their own as the saying goes.

My wife OTOH, became a speed demon when we got our first EV. She kept saying "Honey, the car is making a weird sound whenever I take off." I never noticed it when I was driving it myself. So I got in and had her drive me around a bit. It took me just one stop sign to realize the issue. She was clearly enjoying all the instant torque the car had and was spinning the tires almost every time she took off. Another good reason to have an AWD EV, extends the life of the tires.

• Funny
Reactions: Fourdoor

Keith
I think it was the same price? i could be wrong

Reactions: frankvb
I bought the Boost and would do it again in a heart beat. I have 800 or so miles on the car and have only jumped on it twice. It's just stupid fast.
I have a '64, 427, Ford Galaxie that I spent 20 years building - puts out 600 horse power, 5 speed manual. It's a classic "old school" monster. It's a beautiful car. I used to think it was fast...til I got this Y. This lil guy is one fast mamma jamma! It makes me laugh out loud it's so blasted fast. Do it - you won't regret it. My Y will be lowered once the springs are available. It's funny, I read about people complaining about the ride - why? It's a nice firm ride! I guess I'm just old....
Nice old school build! I built a mid-engine Corvair that was pretty fast. The guy who bought it threw away the small block and detuned a big block he had so it it could be a daily driver - 10.5 daily driver - the new Plaid makes that seem slow.

Nice to see old school that appreciate both 👍

I think it was the same price? i could be wrong
Yes, no discount for not getting stuff you could do better buying aftermarket.

As for the Plaid's potential, it is impressive. I wonder how many people are going to possibly wad them up and cause issues for everyone else. I have a couple of motorcycles that will run in the 9's but it is a lot more stressful launching them just right to get there compared to just mashing the go pedal on a Plaid Model S. One I think I'll get into the 8's with it but that is just crazy fast on the street.

Sadly there will be some people with more money than common sense who buy them. At least on a motorcycle, it eliminates some people from trying. Dropping the hammer on 300+ HP going through one tire on a vehicle that ways 500 pounds definitely involves some skill to make it to the end of the 1/4 in one piece and do it quickly once your times are getting down there, especially on a fully street legal, stock wheelbase bike.

I think it was originally 10k (MY LR to Stealth P). Basically Stealth P or PuP was the same cost. Wonder which was more profitable for them... ;) Surprised they still aren't selling that one. Much better deal than the 10k for FSD.

I think it was originally 10k (MY LR to Stealth P). Basically Stealth P or PuP was the same cost. Wonder which was more profitable for them... ;) Surprised they still aren't selling that one. Much better deal than the 10k for FSD.

When PUP was a "no cost" option people like me that prefer the stealth would probably purchase with PUP anyway, to recoup some of that $10K by selling the giant wheels. If they made "stealth" P $6K and PUP 10K then I would have a stealth P on order right now instead of a LR... but I don't think I can sell the Ubertainium wheels and tires for $4000 plus your Gemini wheels and tires... if I am wrong speak now and I may change my order :D

Keith

PS: Do Gemini's fit on the current model Y performance? Not sure if they fit over the big brake kit.

You guys are so funny... I did the same thing. I think there's enough money flowing around this month from PPF, insurance changes, to down payments and incoming from selling my old car, etc... that it wont get noticed (at least I'm hoping). I mostly do the credit card stuff. I'll cop out if asked though :)

Honestly the best would have been an early 2020 Y with the the 980 Rear motors, then spend the extra 2400 to get the same performance as the P with this kit.

Honestly the best would have been an early 2020 Y with the the 980 Rear motors, then spend the extra 2400 to get the same performance as the P with this kit.

Oh, trust me... I am hoping that Tesla has supply chain issues with the "less capable" rear motor and just installs 980 motors in all the LR's. Do I think this will happen? Nope. Will I check my rear motor number? You bet your @ss I will :)

Keith