Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried to DIY install homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Easy peasy... Fifteen bucks on Amazon. Tesla's $300 escapade is an insult to my intellgence.
61ptCDcLGvL._AC_SL1257_.jpg

Reactions: akidesir
Easy peasy... Fifteen bucks on Amazon. Tesla's $300 escapade is an insult to my intellgence.
View attachment 706482
Oh no, this poor man that has to reach up and press a button everything he goes home. HA HA! JK, do whatever works for you.

Homelink was worth every penny for me. I had it standard in my previous Tesla and I bought it for my new one. Over the lifetime ownership of the vehicle it will cost fractions of a dollar per day for it. That is worth it for my convenience.

Oh no, this poor man that has to reach up and press a button everything he goes home. HA HA! JK, do whatever works for you.

Homelink was worth every penny for me. I had it standard in my previous Tesla and I bought it for my new one. Over the lifetime ownership of the vehicle it will cost fractions of a dollar per day for it. That is worth it for my convenience.
Got to press a button on my Bugatti too. ;)

Does anyone know if the homelink can be used without a key? I had homelink in my Honda and it would work without the key in the car so if someone either broke the window (or I happened to forget to lock the door) when I parked on my driveway they would be able to gain access to my garage by pressing the button. Not sure if the Tesla's version requires a key or not. Does anyone know?

Does anyone know if the homelink can be used without a key? I had homelink in my Honda and it would work without the key in the car so if someone either broke the window (or I happened to forget to lock the door) when I parked on my driveway they would be able to gain access to my garage by pressing the button. Not sure if the Tesla's version requires a key or not. Does anyone know?
Yes, unfortunately it fires even without key/connected phone.

20211002_195142.jpg

The Y is not like the 3 for this. Just had a tech install mine today, just need to take out the frunk and it's cover, you don't need to mess with the bumper at all. The software update actually took longer than the hardware install. Less than 15 minutes to install the hardware, about 20-30 minutes for the firmware/software update.
First, I think you're asking for trouble when buying from eBay to circumvent the installation cost. You've spent $45,000+ for the car and trying to save a $100 just doesn't make good sense.

One grip with the homelink unit automation. The range is really good however it happened to me 2 times now when driving by my house to go to the community mailbox, the door opened by just driving by. When returning into the driveway to an open door, it now closes before entering and is out of sync. Just open it manually via the main screen and all is back to normal. Fix is to reduce range in the app then again this requires one to be close to the door before it activates.

Just confirmed, if car is unlocked, getting in and depressing the brake pedal does bring up Homelink and it does work without a key. It would be better for some people if a key needs to be present to operate the opener then again the standard push button openers work all the time also.

And be careful swiping away the new Cold Weather Driving Tip message that pops on OVER the HomeLink button. I swiped it away and in the process my finger but have touched the HomeLink button and it started closing my open garage door as I was backing out. The garage door came down and hit my rear hatch. It auto reversed after touching the car but not before leaving scuff marks on the painted area of the hatch.

Tesla needs to relocate the Cold Weather Tip message or allow the owner to turn that off.

And be careful swiping away the new Cold Weather Driving Tip message that pops on OVER the HomeLink button. I swiped it away and in the process my finger but have touched the HomeLink button and it started closing my open garage door as I was backing out. The garage door came down and hit my rear hatch. It auto reversed after touching the car but not before leaving scuff marks on the painted area of the hatch.

Tesla needs to relocate the Cold Weather Tip message or allow the owner to turn that off.
The optical sensors should have reversed the door or should be readjusted.

For legal reasons, at least in my area the optical reverse sensors need to be quite. Lose to the floor. At least during professional installation.

I’ve known many people we’ve hit the bumper or trunk with the garage door for various reasons.

It’s not uncommon for people to raise the sensor to either bumper or trunk height.

Honestly I don’t know why there aren’t multiple sensors at various heights. Or one sensor say from 6” to 4.5’.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Back on subject of installing Homelink yourself I found out the Tesla released "
" Tesla toolbox you will need this software and a laptop and this Tesla Diagnostic Cable Model 3 / Y Diagnostic Cable For Tesla Toolbox( on eBay Tesla Diagnostic Cable Model 3 / Y Diagnostic Cable For Tesla Toolbox | eBay) for about 65 dollars not sure if it can do the homelink. That is what I am trying to find out I did find this "After installing a homelink module it needs to be enabled with the Tesla Toolbox by running "TEST-SELF_ VCFRONT_X_HOMELINK"." do not know if the toolbox Tesla selling has this function. Does anybody know???

Back on subject of installing Homelink yourself I found out the Tesla released "
" Tesla toolbox you will need this software and a laptop and this Tesla Diagnostic Cable Model 3 / Y Diagnostic Cable For Tesla Toolbox( on eBay Tesla Diagnostic Cable Model 3 / Y Diagnostic Cable For Tesla Toolbox | eBay) for about 65 dollars not sure if it can do the homelink. That is what I am trying to find out I did find this "After installing a homelink module it needs to be enabled with the Tesla Toolbox by running "TEST-SELF_ VCFRONT_X_HOMELINK"." do not know if the toolbox Tesla selling has this function. Does anybody know???

Hi, I just did a DIY HomeLink install without Tesla's service center, with the help of a repair shop that had access to Tesla Toolbox 3.

After installing the module in the front of the car, you need to run the command called "HOMELINK RETROFIT" (or something like that, I don't remember it exactly. This will reboot the car and then it will recognize the HomeLink hardware. ONLY AFTER THIS the commando "TEST-SELF_ VCFRONT_X_HOMELINK" will work. This "retrofit" command is not documented on the HomeLink install documents.

Reactions: Jeff146