Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone try B.A Design works speakers/sub upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread was a great read. I have been in contact with Brody from B.A. for about 2 weeks or so. I have a 2015 MS with standard sound as my budget when getting this car did not support UHFS. I've been dieing to replace the stock cheap ass speakers with something else but very weary of just putting anything in my MS. I did notice there were a lot of unanswered questions from thread response to thread response as each person had there own input. The question of whether or not you have to adjust the sub between songs did not get answered? The question of whether just having the door speakers replaced and not getting a sub or amp was not answered? Has any of you lost significant amounts of range from installing a amp and sub whether from LH or B.A? I am very interested in getting my sound system boosted a lot with the ultimate kit from B.A and any information any of you can profile is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the good read!

This thread was a great read. I have been in contact with Brody from B.A. for about 2 weeks or so. I have a 2015 MS with standard sound as my budget when getting this car did not support UHFS. I've been dieing to replace the stock cheap ass speakers with something else but very weary of just putting anything in my MS. I did notice there were a lot of unanswered questions from thread response to thread response as each person had there own input. The question of whether or not you have to adjust the sub between songs did not get answered? The question of whether just having the door speakers replaced and not getting a sub or amp was not answered? Has any of you lost significant amounts of range from installing a amp and sub whether from LH or B.A? I am very interested in getting my sound system boosted a lot with the ultimate kit from B.A and any information any of you can profile is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the good read!

I just ordered the ultimate kit (includes sub and 4 door speakers) as they have a black Friday sale for $1275. I talked to Brody also and asked him what he recommended, he said start with the ultimate kit and add an amp for the doors later on if I feel the need. I am being cautious with adding amps also so I’m curious about other people’s experience with adding off the shelf amps to the S.

I am also curious about others experience with having to balance the EQ per song. I hope that was a one off issue.

• Love
Reactions: glewis83186
I bought the 4 door kit for my standard audio setup. I didn’t really feel it was a big improvement in quality except that it did get louder. Distortion still exists when turned up but just at a higher threshold. Based upon reviews from others, i was expecting s little more from the speakers. Somewhat disappointed and maybe i should’ve went a different route.

I bought the 4 door kit for my standard audio setup. I didn’t really feel it was a big improvement in quality except that it did get louder. Distortion still exists when turned up but just at a higher threshold. Based upon reviews from others, i was expecting s little more from the speakers. Somewhat disappointed and maybe i should’ve went a different route.

@Visioneric I kinda was wondering the same thing of whether just changing out the door speakers would change the overall sound of the car but maybe it needs that amp and sub to give it that extra push to get it where we want it to be. I am about to order the ultimate kit from B.A to come to my home and install it and my biggest fear other than feeling lied to or cheated is whether or not I am making the right decision for my Model S as far as will this installation greatly affect my overall range of 265 miles? Will the install hold up for years to come? Is removal quick and painless in a situation where you decide to trade/sell the vehicle or an accident that doesn't involve where the Sub/Amp/LC2i is installed? But I'm willing to give it a chance as you know the standard sound in these vehicles are WEAK!!! for a $80+ thousand dollar vehicle Tesla sure didn't put their engineers to work on creating the perfect sound. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Gentilly7

What model year S do you have? I have a late 2016. Did you do any sound insulation in the doors? Funny thing is, my standard speakers only distort with high volume phone calls.

Reactions: glewis83186
I’m going to try the soundqubed woofer upgrade for the uhfs. Just ordered. Still on sale for $90 on the soundqubed website. I’ll post before and after data. I have some basic sound measuring tools...

Last edited:
I’m going to try the soundqubed woofer upgrade for the uhfs. Just ordered. Still on sale for $90 on the soundqubed website. I’ll post before and after data. I have some basic sound measuring tools...

What are you using for an Amp? I am dying to get more bass but doing any sort of electrical work on this car makes me very nervous and looking at other DIYs posted on here make it look like a large ordeal.

What model year S do you have? I have a late 2016. Did you do any sound insulation in the doors? Funny thing is, my standard speakers only distort with high volume phone calls.

Early 2015 Model S (made in March before the LTE came standard)....I did upgrade to LTE cause 3G was way to slow with the Navigation and everything else. I ordered the ultimate sound system yesterday and I'm getting it installed this weekend to include sound deading as well. It's important to me to avoid rattling and excessive vibration.

• Informative
Reactions: Gentilly7
Early 2015 Model S (made in March before the LTE came standard)....I did upgrade to LTE cause 3G was way to slow with the Navigation and everything else. I ordered the ultimate sound system yesterday and I'm getting it installed this weekend to include sound deading as well. It's important to me to avoid rattling and excessive vibration.

Good deal, please let us know what you think once everything is in place.

Did you get it installed?

I have their 4 door kit speakers, love them. They sound so much better, really good quality. A big plus is they don't have a tweeter on them so they don't change the sound stage and add additional high notes where they should not be. It took me about 45 minutes to install all four of them. Just as a heads up there is a little strap that holds your door panel on, the videos do not show it, you don't need to cut it, just have someone help hold door panel for you. Use plastic trim removal tools so you don't scratch your paint.

Yes, the ultimate sound kit was installed in my MS and yes it is a huge difference in sound. I will agree with some of the other forum members that the sound quality from the OE speakers vs the B.A design works speakers aren't too far off from each other. I mean, the new speakers are built very well, looks great, the magnet is a lot bigger and the sound produced is much much louder but the quality doesn't seem like "O, my god Mariah Carey is hitting all the high notes right next to me live".....thats a little dramatization but you get what I mean. I am by no means unhappy with the professionalism of Brody and Steven that came all the way from Roseville to Hanford where I live to do a custom install at my home. I am happy with the door speaks alone. If you turned off the Sub in the rear and just listen to the main door speakers it sounds a lot louder and even has some more base. The sub actually hits hard and mine was rated for 613 Watts instead of the 500 watts that the website stated.
Obviously I paid for the home install service but I wasn't expecting Brody himself to come to my house. Him and Steven answered all my questions, they were very polite and professional and they didn't put any of the panels removed off my car on the ground during removal/install. This was a very big pet peeve of mine. I did NOT pay all this money for a Tesla for anyone outside myself to scratch or break anything. Also they did NOT break anything, NOT one panel was scratched, broken, scarped or gouged. Brody did come thru for me and installed sound proofing/deading material inside the door panels. They did NOT install sound deading in the rear behind the subwoofer like they said but I did not get upset as I felt like I asked sooooooooo many questions that it was part of the reason they didn't meet there time frame for a usual install. Apparently they have an idea of how much time they spend on these Tesla's as they have 2 of there own back at there shop. They did NOT bring the right fuse for the Sub/AMP breaker wire that gets installed on the 12V battery. So between that plus my hundred questions and the fact that I was NOT going to leave them and my car alone with this install I think they went a lot slower than they usually do. Now I don't want to come off as one of those dudes that too territorial and can't relax but I was more interested in how the car looked with some of the panels removed and I really got to see how cheap Tesla went with some of the panels and choice of parts. Did you know that Tesla uses Toyota and Mercedes Benz parts, and clips since they had a contract with them at some point? Well Brody explained everything I pointed to, explained how it worked and showed me how to remove the products he's installing in the car....I.E Speakers, LC2i, Sub and Amp. The only thing I have to do now is, tune the car to my liking. They tuned the car to the volume I would normally listen to and type of music I liked but I think the base is hitting a bit too hard for me so I will have to get with my friends that understanding audio/tuning to help get it where I want it. I like the option to turn off the sub completely if I choose and any time.

***This post is NOT meant for anyone to be influenced against or for buying this product. This is just my experience please do your research as there are a lot of other options you can consider. I don't work for these guys, i'm just an average joe trying to enjoy my MS even though I secretly want to drive/own a Model 3. **** Please don't bash me for MY own opinion, Thanks!!!****

OOOO one more thing. I do NOT drive my MS on a daily basis as I live in an area w really bad road ways and getting paint chips happens too frequently. I have a daily commuter (non ev) so I won't be driving it until the weekend and something I noticed today after work is I need to adjust the carpet on the drivers side behind the drivers seat because it is NOT installed properly. I know the doors are basically electrically actuated but the door release handle doesn't seem as heavy feeling as they were before the install. I mean: when opening all the doors now, the handle on the inside of the door seems light when you pull it instead of that heavy feeling from before.

Feels like the way all the cables got re-connected were connected differently so now I feel like the door handles aren't the same....weird! Plus my rear passenger window did not want to auto roll up or down and kept on NOT wanting to rolling back up but we cycled it up and down a few times and reset the car until it fixed itself. Has anyone who's done this install experienced anything weird? Just curious. Everything in my car functions the way it suppose to I'm just stating my experience. Thats all!