Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP disengaged while driving - Radar Failure (release 2019.8.3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like Tesla took inventory of the event; my vehicle uploaded approx 900mb of data to the Tesla Amazon Web Services S3 Storage Cloud just a short time after I arrived at my WiFi location. Hope they learn something important!

View attachment 391357

View attachment 391356

Seems like Tesla took inventory of the event; my vehicle uploaded approx 900mb of data to the Tesla Amazon Web Services S3 Storage Cloud just a short time after I arrived at my WiFi location. Hope they learn something important!

View attachment 391357

View attachment 391356

GolanB, What is the name of this iOS app?

GolanB, What is the name of this iOS app?

There are a few ways to get IP accounting data of your network; in some cases, it's available from next-generation access-points, like those from Ubiquiti Networks. In this case, there was a layer-7 application analysis done by a very cheap and cost-effective consumer firewall device called the FIREWALLA which I have been beta-testing. It runs open-source linux, and BRO to analyze the network traffic, and it comes with its own iOS App to report the data. Typically this sort of analysis was only available on enterprise firewalls with deep-packet-inspection (like those from Palo Alto Networks and others), but the features have recently made their way down to consumer networking solutions. I've had success with the FirewallA, but I am still playing with it. It's not rated to handle more than 500Mb/sec, so if you have 1Gb/sec to your home (over fiber) it may slow your traffic down a bit.

This afternoon, while coming back home from the office, I experienced a nearly identical failure of AutoPilot while driving through the Holland Tunnel to NYC. The AutoPilot disengagement is the third time in a little over a week; this occurred while running 2019.8.3.

In all cases, I received the "red hands" warning to take over driving immediately.

In all cases, the car lost visibility of its surroundings, including road markers, and vehicles.

In all cases, the AutoPilot (autosteering function) was not available for re-engagement for approximately 10 minutes until I was well out of the Holland Tunnel, and back in NY. The error I received was "Reduced Front Radar Visibility."

Tesla got back to me this afternoon with the following info:

- They used my data (bug report, videos, TeslaCam, timestamps) to reproduce the issue.
- They've found that a prior issue has resurfaced in the current code base.
- They're scheduling a fix in a future release. The fix is expected to arrive in the 2019.12.X codebase.
- The issue has to do with AutoPilot's functionality in Tunnels.
- They'll provide me further status in the next week or two.

I managed to capture the event on Video since this was reproducible. In this extended video, you can see the failure occur within the first third of the tunnel.

Video:

I had the following experience today while driving. Two days ago, I received 2019.8.3 - and today I decided to test AP on my way home. I should point out that the car is very clean, and there is no obstruction to the radar or any of the sensors.

About 30 seconds after engaging auto-pilot, AP disengaged suddenly and got a warning to take over driving immediately (which I promptly did).

I tried re-engaging AP and got the warning - "Cruise not available - Reduced front radar visibility" and "Autosteer temporarily unavailable".

The vehicle also lost tracking of the cars surrounding it, and the display only showed my car.

I attempted to submit a bug report, but the MIC was not receiving input (it could no longer hear me).

Approximately 10 minutes later, I started noticing cars could be seen again by the sensors, and I was able to re-engage autopilot.

I called Tesla Customer Service (1-hour wait). The technician had me recalibrate the sensors by going into park, pulling the steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right, then center before resetting (two steering wheel buttons) and then shutting down.

I was told this is either a software bug or a radar sensor failure. If it happens again I will schedule service. I asked the support representative whether or not anyone else reported this issue with this release, but he said I'm one of the first to be on the release, and he wasn't aware of other reports yet.

Has anyone else reported a similar issue?

(Sorry for the poor image quality, its a screenshot of a video)

View attachment 391308 View attachment 391309
I had the exact same thing happen to me a few days ago while driving north out of Manhattan. Same alert and same issue as you describe. About 10 minutes later while driving it went back to normal. I'm still on 2019.5.15 though. Also I have been having my screen shut off while driving. It happens randomly when nothing particular is happening....very unsettling.

Our Model 3 was updated to version 2019.12.1.2, and we just started seeing the same "cruise control not available; reduced front radar visibility" error. I was able to briefly engage Autopilot last night, but then the system abruptly disengaged and I had to take over immediately. The car is reasonably clean. I tried a reboot (hold down both scroll wheels while pressing brake pedal), to no avail. So I've scheduled a service appointment (a few weeks out).

Our Model 3 was updated to version 2019.12.1.2, and we just started seeing the same "cruise control not available; reduced front radar visibility" error. I was able to briefly engage Autopilot last night, but then the system abruptly disengaged and I had to take over immediately. The car is reasonably clean. I tried a reboot (hold down both scroll wheels while pressing brake pedal), to no avail. So I've scheduled a service appointment (a few weeks out).

What were the conditions in which you were driving, including whether you were on busy roads, highway, tunnel, bridges and the weather that day? My specific case related to the performance of Autopilot while engaged in a tunnel (more specifically, the Holland Tunnel in NYC). Did it occur more than once, and are you able to replicate the issue?

While you wait for your service appointment, I recommend you call Tesla Support and see if you can get in touch with anyone there who works together with the AutoPilot team. They were able to determine my issue was software related and didn't want me to bring the car into service. This may not be your case, but they should be able to do some analysis. If it's helpful to you PM me and I'll send you the name of the Tesla employee that is handling my case.

I haven't had a chance to retest in version 2019.12.1.2 since my Model 3 has been in with Tesla to get its rear glass replaced after a fracture formed. I'm due to pick up tomorrow and will try again then. I didn't get a clear answer as to whether the fix is installed in this release, but I suspect it hasn't been, only that there have been general 'improvements.'

I had the exact same thing happen to me a few days ago while driving north out of Manhattan. Same alert and same issue as you describe. About 10 minutes later while driving it went back to normal. I'm still on 2019.5.15 though. Also I have been having my screen shut off while driving. It happens randomly when nothing particular is happening....very unsettling.

You should ask Tesla to push an update to your car, and see if the problem reoccurs. Your screen shutting down may be a different issue, and both should be investigated by Tesla support.

I spoke with a Tesla rep and was advised to try rebooting using the “Turn Off” button on the car’s Security and Privacy screen. Failing that, their recommendation is to let Service look at it. I was told that Mobile Service should be able to handle an issue with the front radar.

In our case, the failure seems general in nature, whether we’re on freeways or our local mountain roads. The weather has been mostly dry.

Thanks for bringing me to this thread @GolanB ... I'm on 2019.12.1.2 and had 2 incidents today in the Holland.

It's important to note that even if Autopilot isn't enabled, radar will still go offline in the tunnel and you will lose ghost cars, cruise, Autopilot, etc.

I have yet to lose radar in the tunnel while AP has not been engaged, its pretty much only happened when its enabled - and the rate of failure is approximately 1 in 3 trips. I'll speak to Tesla again tomorrow and see if they have any updates on when a fix will be released.

I have yet to lose radar in the tunnel while AP has not been engaged, its pretty much only happened when its enabled - and the rate of failure is approximately 1 in 3 trips. I'll speak to Tesla again tomorrow and see if they have any updates on when a fix will be released.
Interesting. Mine cut out entirely in the tunnel even w/o AP on.

Got 2019.16.2 this afternoon. Not tunnel bound for a while so won't be able to test... but AP seems pretty squirrely on this version.

Interesting. Mine cut out entirely in the tunnel even w/o AP on.

Got 2019.16.2 this afternoon. Not tunnel bound for a while so won't be able to test... but AP seems pretty squirrely on this version.

Here was my update from today. The new release apparently does not have a fix for this issue. I'll give it a shot tomorrow (I updated today as well).

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 9.27.37 PM.png

I received an update from Tesla today informing me that 2019.16.2 "should resolve the issues" I experienced with the autopilot shutting down in the Holland Tunnel.

I hope to test this further tomorrow on my route back -- this week I took an alternate route and was not able to test.

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 4.52.11 PM.png

I had almost the same scenario as you today, but received different error messages.

Running same software as you and similar situation that caused the errors. My car is not dirty or anything. Afterwards, I parked my car for a couple hours and I’m still seeing the error message.

View attachment 391369View attachment 391370

I had this same exact thing happen to me today, I am on v10 (2019.32.11). I received an additional notice about the sensor - not working correctly.

I wish I had seen this thread before I posted a very similar issue. I have the latest software update, so I guess the issue is still unresolved.

I wish I had seen this thread before I posted a very similar issue. I have the latest software update, so I guess the issue is still unresolved.
Don't dig up 2yr old threads. Link to them.