Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
do you use the superchargers often?

At least weekly; 3 times today. Still need to compile some more data to know for sure if it is faster overall, but I have never seen 120kw; 118 for sure, but not 120.

But 12.1.1 is a keeper for sure. AP1 over the past year has gotten better and better, so yes they are still improving it. A year ago I didn't even bother using autopilot. Not sure if all that data Nettie the neural network supercomputer is aiding in the developing on the AP1 side of things, but after 700km driven today on familiar roads it definitely holds the centre of lane better and ping-pongs less than before. I think it weaved noticably only 3 times today. Usually the wife is demanding I take over because the AP makes her carsick; today I heard no complaints. Even on some highway stretches where painted lines did not exist it did a little better than previously.

And when changing lanes one only needs to put the tires into the other lane, where previously (I was on .8.4 after 50.6) you would have to hold the turn signal until half the car was in the new lane or it would snap back into the initial lane. You reading this @bmah ? On a few lane changes I got away with holding the turn signal for 3 blinks, but most of the time 4 blinks of the indicator was enough to successfully change lanes. Previously it was more like 6 blinks.

Not perfect yet, and probably never will be, as there was still some unnecessary braking when passing tractors situated in the outside lane around left handers, but I am used to that, anticipate it, and I have my foot handy on the accelerator to override the braking. And yes, over crests the camera cannot see and for some strange reason it still does not incorporate the direction of the road shown in the navigation to steer the car, but maybe some day. And it did completely blow one slow 25 mph 90 degree corner where I had to overtake, but same as before. I don't have access to the large multi-lane highways with overpasses/underpasses, so I cannot comment on the complaints of others with the "fleet" braking.

700 km today and I feel so relaxed and well rested I could hop in it and do it again. I loved this car a year ago, and I love it more now.

I’ve been on 12.1.1 for about a week now.

Haven’t noticed any discernible difference with AP1. No better, no worse. I’ve always loved AP1 so I continue to be satisfied with it.

I only have two issues with upgrade...

1. When FM radio is on and I put car in reverse it goes silent and won’t come back unless I tune to a Slacker station, wait for it to come on and then go back to FM. Pain in the rear.

2. Slacker stutters when starting. Not a big deal. Works itself out after about 10 seconds.

Browser was and still is useless.

I’ve been on 12.1.1 for about a week now.

Haven’t noticed any discernible difference with AP1. No better, no worse. I’ve always loved AP1 so I continue to be satisfied with it.

I only have two issues with upgrade...

1. When FM radio is on and I put car in reverse it goes silent and won’t come back unless I tune to a Slacker station, wait for it to come on and then go back to FM. Pain in the rear.

2. Slacker stutters when starting. Not a big deal. Works itself out after about 10 seconds.

Browser was and still is useless.
2019.12.1.1 is a POS to put it politely

Re: audio weirdness when shifting gears in 2019.12.1.1 - you’re not alone though weirdness varies
Audio Default to 4 when shifting Gear?!

Re: useless browser in 2019.12.1.1, see:
MCU1 performance improvement & browser improvement. Simple trick by Thomas The Tesla Tuner..
(TL;DR version: turn off traffic overlay in maps, a bug is sucking up tons of MCU cycles)

Last edited:
Did you try the hack to turn off real-time traffic info on the map?

Supposedly it also helps to make the map as small as possible, scroll it slightly and not show satellite view. YMMV.

I'll admit to not using it anymore at all.

I saw the hack and haven't tried it yet. To be honest, I am do disillusioned with the browser, I don't really even consider it as an option on my car. It is such an afterthought at this point, I don't even think about using it.

I saw the hack and haven't tried it yet. To be honest, I am do disillusioned with the browser, I don't really even consider it as an option on my car. It is such an afterthought at this point, I don't even think about using it.

Yes same here. It's a bit sad to have such an awesome huge screen and a web browser that is so bad that I reach for my tiny mobile phone instead of using it :(

So comparing the data for 2 navigate to supercharger pre-heat visits and 2 no navigation (regular) supercharger visits with similar air temperatures (20 degrees C) here is what I have (sorry for the crudeness; I don't do this sort of thing for a living)

The black X's overlayed on the BX85 charging rate graph below are pre-heat supercharger data (exactly the same numbers for both sessions)
and the circles are the few data points without preheat that differed enough to plot the difference.
At 50% SOC it was 3 kW difference; 75 kW for preheat vs. 72 kW without (both plotted)
At 60% SOC it was only 1 kW difference; 60 kW for preheat vs. 59 kW without
at 70% SOC it was only 1 kW difference; 51 kW for preheat vs. 50 kW without
at 80% SOC it was again a 1 kW difference 40 kW for preheat vs. 39 without

Unfortunately I did get any data below 24% SoC with pre-heat or 36% without, but owners with this 85 kWh battery all know supercharging from below 20% the time is very quick to get to 40% anyway, as shown by the red line below, so if there is any meaningful time to gain it is from 40% on up. That is, to see any sort of "up to 25% faster" supercharge times for this battery it would have to be a flatter curve, and less taper.

I have no doubt that in the winter with temperatures below freezing pre-heating the battery could be much quicker initially, but that will have to wait about 7 months for me. And it is nice to know the car still charges on the mean line at almost 90 000 km. Not sure if data is still entered for this graph or if it is from some time ago from Tesla's with fresher batteries. (?)

So the current conclusion is: negligible difference?

upload_2019-5-7_20-7-35.png

Thanks to ABRP for the graph/data

So comparing the data for 2 navigate to supercharger pre-heat visits and 2 no navigation (regular) supercharger visits with similar air temperatures (20 degrees C) here is what I have (sorry for the crudeness; I don't do this sort of thing for a living)
First off great reporting and good dissemination of the information. Maybe you should switch jobs. :D

It will be interesting to see what impacts the colder weather introduces. From what I can glean the ideal temp for supercharging is 20 degrees C, so preheating would not do much in your experiments because you were pretty close to optimal from the ambient temperature.

I look forward to to your further tests in 7 months.

So reviving this thread as it looks like AP1 and preAP are now treated in priority to get the release of the latest iteration : 16.1.1 (thanks to TeslaFi).
Not much installations yet. Anyone here?

I got the 2019.16.1.1 update this morning and installed it. The release notes mentioned two updates:

1) The Software tab under Control now has to buttons: Standard and Advance. The Standard setting is the default behavior and would puts you in the Tesla update queue (you get the updates when Tesla decides to send them to you). The Advance setting provides the ability to download the updates whenever they are available.

2) Swedish language support.

I got the 2019.16.1.1 update this morning and installed it. The release notes mentioned two updates:

1) The Software tab under Control now has to buttons: Standard and Advance. The Standard setting is the default behavior and would puts you in the Tesla update queue (you get the updates when Tesla decides to send them to you). The Advance setting provides the ability to download the updates whenever they are available.

2) Swedish language support.

Is there a "I want my Mommy" type disclaimer when you select Advanced (i.e.: "Our already buggy software might be REALLY buggy if you select Advanced" Do you still want to proceed?")?

Thanks for the quick reply!
Very nice to be "in control" now :)
I guess one might advocate it misses a "Skip update" button, to not be bothered until one decides to go for it.

Anyway, keeps on getting better all the time. And gives a warm feeling that Pre-AP & AP1 are still on the radar :D

Is there a "I want my Mommy" type disclaimer when you select Advanced (i.e.: "Our already buggy software might be REALLY buggy if you select Advanced" Do you still want to proceed?")?

Thanks for the quick reply!
Very nice to be "in control" now :)
I guess one might advocate it misses a "Skip update" button, to not be bothered until one decides to go for it.

Anyway, keeps on getting better all the time. And gives a warm feeling that Pre-AP & AP1 are still on the radar :D

What was interesting was I rebooted after the update (as I always do) but did not drive the car and left it parked. Few hours later when going to run an errand, the car refused to wake up (Car is Off message on IC). Touching the screen which was responsive, pressing on the brake pedal, opening/closing doors, locking/unlocking did not help. Finally, decided to reboot again and only then I could start my drive. Pretty weird but not unexpected.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and AustinP