Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Photoshop also opens them with 1280x964, Channels: Count 1, 16 Bits, Header 0. Byte Order IBM PC generates dark grey images, Byter Order Mac generates sort of bright reversed ones.

None of these settings, I think, are ekeing out the full dynamic range, though. They are pretty crappy. More research needed.
"IBM PC" is little endian and the arm64 platform used is also little endian, so its a safe bet.
Also, the full dynamic range IS there, but our monitors are ill-equipped to display it.
You can use the curves tool to cut the stuff you don't need, or the HDR tool to tonemap it, I guess.

"IBM PC" is little endian and the arm64 platform used is also little endian, so its a safe bet.
Also, the full dynamic range IS there, but our monitors are ill-equipped to display it.
You can use the curves tool to cut the stuff you don't need, or the HDR tool to tonemap it, I guess.

Yep, little ensign certainly looks more correct.

That said, I still doubt Photoshop is getting the full range. The histogram is showing very little data.

Tried Lightroom too but no support there.

Yep, little ensign certainly looks more correct.

That said, I still doubt Photoshop is getting the full range. The histogram is showing very little data.

Tried Lightroom too but no support there.
Well, hystogram is for the full 16bits of data, if the sensor only gives you 10 bits, that's a lot of "empty" space on the histogram.
So just cut out the empty sides and then see what sort of details are there, I think.
Cutting the red channel and replacign it with something would also help, I guess. I'll probably try to write a tool to do that, but too bad it would lead to loss of some resolution. We can also extract just the red channel to see that separately (would be half the resolution picture obviously).

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Here are all the connector types -- from each of the cameras into the Drive PX2 -- if anyone cares:
  • Main: Rosenberger 59Z113-000-A
  • Narrow / Fisheye (double): Rosenberger 59Z115-000-A
  • B-Pillars (double): Rosenberger 59Z115-000-B
  • Side repeaters (double): Rosenberger 59Z115-000-F
  • Rearview IN: Rosenberger D4Z001-000-C
  • Rearview OUT: Rosenberger D4Z001-000-A
Rosenberger catalogue (#1)
Rosenberger catalogue (#2)

(Note: Search PDF without the final letter - it's just color coding.)

Photos:

Last edited:
Ok, so I have created a very simplistic tool that:
For every red pixel writes it to a separate file (giving you a half resolution image for the red channel only). In place of the red pixels it averages all pixels around them.
Additionally on the sensor there are two rows at the top and 2 at the bottom that are devoid of useful info, but throw off various image manipulation/enhancing programs (I crop it out manually, but need to add this into the tool - TODO)

So I run this tool, get 2 "processed" raw files. Now if you load those into photoshop and use Image->Adjustment->HDR toning and then select Method as "Equalize histogram" (Other options there suddenly do a lot more useful stuff as well.) you get this:

processed1.jpg

processed_red.jpg

Additionally on the sensor there are two rows at the top and 2 at the bottom that are devoid of useful info, but throw off various image manipulation/enhancing programs (I crop it out manually, but need to add this into the tool - TODO)
That was exactly what I thought!!! Thank you SO much!!! I've wasted hours trying to figure out how to crop that crap away so I can use the files.

And hey -- this explains the weird "1280x964" image size :)

Last edited:
That was exactly what I thought!!! Thank you SO much!!! I've wasted hours trying to figure out how to crop that crap away so I can use the files.
I think we are talking of different things here.
The problems I am talikng about are various enhance programs seeing all the "black" pixels and having some bad assumptions resulting in subpar enhancements.

You seem to be talking about "none of the tools I have recognize the format" which cropping a few btes here and there would not help - you either need to get some tools to read raw bitstreeam (like photoshop) or use imagemagick to convert the bitstream into a regular image with headers and such (like that example I provided some time ago).

I've tried Lightroom and dcraw --- no functionada. Error messages about damaged / corrupted file

Reason I'm suspicious about those 4 extra pixels, is this:
Dealing with Damaged RAW Files

(Yes of course I'm in deep waters here)
Like I said, you won't get Lightroom or dcraw to work on these files, they have no headers.
If you have photoshop - use that.
If you don't, install ImageMagick and use the "convert" tool from there as instructed (I will add my interpolation and red channel extraction tool shortly).

BTW, interesting that you can clearly see ghosting of that reflective thingie at the bottom of the usable image.

Almost looks like it hasn't been mounted on the windscreen properly.

Have you seen page31-32 of the AR0132AT datasheet? Goes into detail about the embedded data/statistics (i.e.histogram) in the frame, Apparently they are using the "embedded data section of the SMIA Function Specification", if that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: verygreen
Almost looks like it hasn't been mounted on the windscreen properly.

Have you seen page31-32 of the AR0132AT datasheet? Goes into detail about the embedded data/statistics (i.e.histogram) in the frame, Apparently they are using the "embedded data section of the SMIA Function Specification", if that helps.
You are right, that seems to be exactly the mode the sensor is operating at.
Though for us I suspect the info is not very useful. We do not run some embedded platform for the histogram to matter and the registers - well, we can read them, but does not appear we can get much useful info from them (other than stopping to guess about certain operating parameters).