Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooo it looks like rainsensing wipers are out now. Is this just the wide angle NN being finally activated? What do you guys think?

Auto-rain had its own fisheye NN according to the naming scheme (see @verygreen's links e.g. through here: Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD). After all, it might be watching just some cropped box of the view?

Hard to say if it has any relation to fisheye's general purpose NN? @verygreen any comments from past experience?

the only NN for fisheye that was in 17.50.2 was dedicated to rain detection.

That said this is the first time in my memory a feature (and a changelog change!) is introduced in a minor point release. Obviously I don't have a way to take a more detailed look at what changed inside.

This is what .50 was always about.

They just waited until you were gone. ;)

I think that it's awesome what Tesla can do with cars as heavily instrumented as their cars are. I think it's likely that the automatic wiper feature was present in an earlier release and Tesla ran diagnostics that watched for any differences between when the fisheye NN said that wipers should be turned on and when the drivers actually did so. This is an awesome way to do widespread testing of a feature that never frustrates a user when it fails.

• Funny
Reactions: googleiscoul
I think that it's awesome what Tesla can do with cars as heavily instrumented as their cars are. I think it's likely that the automatic wiper feature was present in an earlier release and Tesla ran diagnostics that watched for any differences between when the fisheye NN said that wipers should be turned on and when the drivers actually did so. This is an awesome way to do widespread testing of a feature that never frustrates a user when it fails.
There's exactly zero evidence anything of the sort was happening on any sort of scale outside of development cars.

There's exactly zero evidence anything of the sort was happening on any sort of scale outside of development cars.
Well, so much for what seemed like a great idea—I know you have more insight into Tesla's software internals than probably any other non-employee. It just seems too unlikely that Tesla would not avail themselves of such an approach. I am a software engineer and I can't imagine why Tesla would not do this. This is right in line with the DevOps approach (DevOps - Wikipedia) that is now viewed as the cutting edge of software development.

Last edited:
Well, so much for what seemed like a great idea—I know you have more insight into Tesla's software internals than probably any other non-employee. It just seems too unlikely that Tesla would not avail themselves of such an approach. I am a software engineer and I can't imagine why Tesla would not do this. This is right in line with the DevOps approach that is now viewed as the cutting edge of software development.
they do take snapshots from various cameras, but those are not hardcoded (mostly), car might get a signal from the mothership that if camera sees somethign that NN identifies as a particular label - to send it to the mothership.

But the problem is none of the NNs were activated (not on my car anyway, but it does not appear you could easily switch NNs on via some remote commands, it is possible hw 2.5 has a different set of cameras being active - I have no way of knowing this). Hence the whole mystery of "why ship inactive NNs".

But I kind of agree: Your pic certainly indicates that the Side Repeaters are 'next' to be activated (calibrated). Look at the "Progress" values... Only the repeaters are "0 %". The rest are "--%"

Blindspot means Tesla believes auto lane change, like real automatic, is a critical showpiece feature for their coast to coast demo. It is welcome from a safety standpoint as well. Now let's hope they don't deliver subpar stuff. I'm displeased with the steps backwards on fundamental issues like lane keeping so I'm holding my breath...

Good call guys!

the only NN for fisheye that was in 17.50.2 was dedicated to rain detection.

That said this is the first time in my memory a feature (and a changelog change!) is introduced in a minor point release. Obviously I don't have a way to take a more detailed look at what changed inside.

Ah, so pretty safe bet the fisheye is doing the rain detection...

If someone who still has a Tesla wants to try putting tape over the fisheye and seeing if it brakes the auto wipers.

Also, as noted above calibration for fisheye is --%, and no one has said they got a calibration needed message after updating to 50.3...

So perhaps it means the fisheye camera / NN doesn't need to be calibrated since it is not detecting objects and only rain.

But the problem is none of the NNs were activated (not on my car anyway, but it does not appear you could easily switch NNs on via some remote commands, it is possible hw 2.5 has a different set of cameras being active - I have no way of knowing this). Hence the whole mystery of "why ship inactive NNs".

Yes, this I always thought was odd.

@verygreen

Thanks very much for your work here.

Anyone care to speculate what it is about this scenario which is causing auto wipers to trigger? (Set to position 2)

I thought it might be the reflection of the sun from the road, but they haven't triggered in other, similar, situations. Also, you can see the temporary variation of speed that others have mentioned.

Anyone care to speculate what it is about this scenario which is causing auto wipers to trigger? (Set to position 2).
Let me float a theory: Bits of dust and dirt on the windshield (and even the reflective speckles within the windshield) that scatter light from above and sides, but the cameras see it against a much darker background, causing it to stand out with enhanced contrast. Once you enter the "tunnel" (etc.), the light from above and sides is no longer present.

They are not rain sensing wipers anymore. They now basically try to wipe anything off if the cameras don't see right.

I would suggest future firmware update to let the wipers wipe only the center area (where cameras are) of the windshield.

People should also feel better to stop calling them the old ways.
Confirmed! The auto wipers do work on more than just rain!