Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 Autopark Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the video it shows the distance sensing going below 12inches.

Is this always the case with an AP2 car? Or just while in auto-park?

With my AP1 car the UI only displays down to 12 inches. Anything below that it won't show the numbers for. At least for normal parking it doesn't. I can't remember if auto-park showed anything below 12 inches.

I went to look at my new AP2 car yesterday (currently have a 2015 AP1) - the sales chap said one of the things that has been improved is the sensitivity of the sensors used for parking, so I guess that is it...

The problem I have with AP1 perpendicular autopark is that you think its done, then it shoots out one last time for a final microadjustment. This often happens right when an oncoming car down the lane thinks you're done as well and pulls right in front of you...

How is AP2 with perpendicular parking?

Funny you should bring that question up :)
I have an AP2 S and have been trying to perpendicular park into my garage. While it will do it, most times, it certainly does not get it into the exact center of the space, and although I set the bumper distance to 24 inches the front bumper in this up as little as 14 inches from the wall. Among other things I'm guessing that the camera is not being used because if I offset the car even a bit from the opening it does not recognize the problem and re-position itself.

So I guess my first question is, is it SUPPOSED to perpendicular park into a garage if you line the car up straight into the garage? And if so, what are your experiences?

It does summon out of the garage quite well.

Inquiring minds want to know :)

I've tried off and on parallel parking and it works great if it finds the spot.

Tonight I passed several obvious parallel spots outside the restaurant (with cars in front and behind and plenty of space) and it apparently did not like that curb/road. Hmm.

2 out of 2 parallel parking and 2 for 3 in finding obvious parallel spots.
Same issue, worked fine when it found the spots, but didn't find many spots. Maybe 20% of the spots I tried.

No, it can do both. I just find that going into my garage doesn't work well as it seems to get thrown by objects near the back of the garage as it gets close to them. Current release status of features:
- summon both in and out -- yes
- auto parallel park -- yes
- auto perpendicular park -- no

So, if I understand this correctly, at the current time AP 2 cars are supposed to be able to be summoned out of the garage, but should not yet be able to "summon" into the garage. Is this right?
Summon out words very well. Summon in is dangerous. For me, it will veer left and crash into the entry point if I don't stop it. Odd but others have mentioned the same behavior.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4
I wouldn't call it dangerous. I think it is a case of every situation being different. Assuming (1) straight line in, (2) wide walls/garage door, (3) nothing else around, summon-in works very well. Any changes to those items make it more difficult for the car. When moving out, the car can simply back straight out with no issues, but when moving in, it is relying on what the sensors detect to ensure it has adequate clearance.

Today I had removed our big garbage can from the garage (normally sits in back corner near the front right bumper of the car and re-arranged some of the items on the right side that project out a bit towards the car from the wall. Summon in worked perfectly. Don't know if it was the rearranged items, garbage can or some other combination but clearly whatever was causing my car to want to slew away from the wall is now gone.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

I wouldn't call it dangerous.
I'd call it dangerous. I was slamming on cancel. Luckily it did before there was any damage. Another few millimeters however....

IMG_0074.JPG

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4 and NicB72
I'd call it dangerous. I was slamming on cancel. Luckily it did before there was any damage. Another few millimeters however....

Yikes, you were lucky! Can you provide some color.......using summon to exit or enter? Its difficult to see in the dark, but does your driveway slope or is it just the angle of the shot? Did the wheels turn and the car drift over, or was it straight in, or out as the case may be? Thx.

Yikes, you were lucky! Can you provide some color.......using summon to exit or enter? Its difficult to see in the dark, but does your driveway slope or is it just the angle of the shot? Did the wheels turn and the car drift over, or was it straight in, or out as the case may be? Thx.
Works absolutely perfect going out. Was still straight and lined up. Told it to come back in and veered right for the left pillar. I think @oktane reported the same behavior. Not really any slope. There is a lip. Summon set for tight but not really super tight in my garage.

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
Would need to see even more pics of your garage interior and exterior before even hazarding a guess as to why your car chose to veer to the left like that. The car will veer during a summon-in maneuver if it (a) detects something on one side and (b) shows it clear on the other (making it think there is more room and it is centering. Obviously the sensors can only see from the nose and rear of the car (meaning limited coverage around the doors which should (in theory) be clear since the nose or rear has already passed that.

From your picture, it appears that the left most bumper sensor should have detected the beam/garage entry area where it almost impacted. It clearly didn't. Have you observed that area detecting the entry beam as you drive the car in manually or does it show blank/no contact? My initial (with limited facts) impression would be that possibly your left-most driver side nose sensor is faulty and not reporting what it sees. As it entered, the right sensors showed the garage door entry beam, left side showed clear so the car turned to the left. That's not a faulty software issue nor is it indicative of a dangerous system. It's an indication something is wrong with your car that needs to be corrected.

Just my two cents' worth but people on this forum tend to blame the software as being "dangerous" or "faulty" without checking the other potential causes of a deviation like this. By way of diagnosis, I would place some objects on the left side of your car you know will create a reflection. Then move forward and backwards and map out where you are detecting/losing those objects and at what range. Start at about 2 feet away from the car. It may be you determine you have a blind spot that shouldn't be there and arguably one of the two most important sensors during a summon in (I would consider the 2 most important sensors being the extreme left and right ultrasonic sensors in the nose bumper as those are the ones that will detect objects and ensure clearance to either side).

Please check it and let us know how it goes. If not the sensor, something else caused that slew to the left...

best.
Dave

That's not a faulty software issue nor is it indicative of a dangerous system. It's an indication something is wrong with your car that needs to be corrected.

Just my two cents' worth but people on this forum tend to blame the software as being "dangerous" or "faulty" without checking the other potential causes of a deviation like this.

I checked before posting. Nothing wrong with my garage or the sensors. Might be the fact that the software is "Beta". Like the "Beta" version of AP, it can be dangerous until all the kinks are worked out.

Also, I'm not the only one who is experiencing this:

I tried three times, and all times it almost crashes the front left corner into the entrance of the garage. Not impressed, unfortunately. Much more stressful to watch the car flounder than to simply park myself and squeeze out.

• Disagree
Reactions: KrenGrl
Obviously an opinion issue on how you define the word "dangerous". I view dangerous to mean something is likely to kill someone or cause serious injury, but that's just me. Lots of hyperbole tossed around this forum.

Quotimg one more person who had something that looks similar to yours is not evidentiary without looking at WHY it happened. I didn't say there was anything wrong with your garage. What I said is that the layout may be causing an issue that confuses the car and I gave an example where the layout in my garage was causing the car to want to swerve one way and that a minor re-arrangement of stuff I had along one wall has apparently addressed the issue, but that I need to test it out more to be sure. In my case, I took the time to try and figure out why my car was moving one way and then see if I could address it. I didn't just assume that the software was bad or dangerous (to use your word) because it was in Beta status. Rather I tried to determine if the software was working correctly and it was reacting to a sensor input causing the unexpected behavior (it was).

You say your sensors are working correctly. Does that mean you have set up some barriers to simulate your garage in a clear environment and tested it and confirmed the same behavior of veering to the left? Have you tested it in another garage and observed the same behavior? Have you confirmed that your driver's side far left (outermost) sensor is in fact working and detecting the garage entry way as you approach it and that it then disappears AFTER it is adjacent to the front tire when you manually drive the car into your garage? Have you compared the distance the sensors show between the right and left side entryways as you manually drive into the garage and confirmed they match up and correlate to what is actually happening?

IF the sensor is seeing the garage edge and then veering towards it such that the car will hit it unless it stops, then that is indicative of a software or control system issue. If the sensor is NOT seeing the garage door edge to the left but IS seeing the one to the right, then you have a sensor issue and the software is working as designed (attempting to center itself by veering away from the right side.

Can you share some more pictures? Have you shared any data with Tesla to help determine what is causing the unexpected behavior? If the answer to all of the questions above is "no", that's fine -- this is a feature that you use at your choice but you haven't shared enough information to confirm that there is a software issue at this stage of the game and others' success would indicate otherwise.

Obviously an opinion issue on how you define the word "dangerous". I view dangerous to mean something is likely to kill someone or cause serious injury, but that's just me. Lots of hyperbole tossed around this forum.

Quotimg one more person who had something that looks similar to yours is not evidentiary without looking at WHY it happened.

If you don't consider AP2 Beta at 80mph potentially dangerous in a life threatening manner, then yes we have a vast difference of opinion. I pay really close attention to AP and have made some emergency corrections that have been kinda scary and certainly life threatening if I had not made them quickly.

As far as Beta summon, it should also be treated as potentially dangerous. Standing in an enclosed garage watching to see if the car is coming in ok (as instructed to do so my Tesla) and with not a lot of room to me to escape, I would certainly exercise caution. I wouldn't want my kids standing next to me while I'm monitoring Beta Summon but that's just me.

The other poster is experiencing the same exact behavior, that's why I cited it. I'm sure there are others. A lot of people in general are stating Summon is fine going out but problematic going in.

That all said. I tried again under the same circumstances last night and the car entered perfectly for me. Nothing changed. Garage was the same. Car is clean. Time of evening same. Same lights on. Me in same monitoring position. That's kind of scary in an unpredictable way. Who knows what the other variable is? But it's Beta software so I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm just going to treat it cautiously and as potentially dangerous until it's further developed.

Note that I have informed my SC and invited them to come out and take a look.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4