Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade)

AP2 Owners ONLY -- FSD only or MCU2?

• FSD Only

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • MCU2

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the AP2 - AP3 upgrade done yesterday. Still waiting for it to download new map data to be able to enable the stoplight detection.

For those that have gotten this done did you have dashcam/sentry clips from the rear/back camera? Mine is recording all but the back camera to usb. Not sure if something isn't installed correctly or its a software issue. My backup camera still works so I dont believe that is an issue.

I am reformatting my usb and will try that but just wanted to confirm others that did upgrade from AP2 can see back camera clips.

I had the AP2 - AP3 upgrade done yesterday. Still waiting for it to download new map data to be able to enable the stoplight detection.

For those that have gotten this done did you have dashcam/sentry clips from the rear/back camera? Mine is recording all but the back camera to usb. Not sure if something isn't installed correctly or its a software issue. My backup camera still works so I dont believe that is an issue.

I am reformatting my usb and will try that but just wanted to confirm others that did upgrade from AP2 can see back camera clips.
No rear camera recording just front/left/right repeater recordings with AP3/MCU1.

Backup is only mcu2.

Yup with warranty left I would wait. Theres a small chance eventually they give all busted MCU1 with MCU2. Much like the LTE upgrade

Just got the car back from Paramus NJ SC with HW3.0 upgrade without MCU2 upgrade.

Several reasons to defer/not do MCU2 upgrade
1. Still have 16 months warranty left, so a EMMC failure in the next 18 months might lead to a cheaper/free upgrade.
2. My car is a 75 kw battery pack, might upgrade in the next few years
3. I don’t like YouTube, Netflix infotainment on portrait screen, they don’t look as good as on Model 3’s landscape mode. Don’t play games either.
4. COVID-19 uncertainties has led to a lot less driving for next several months and cut down spending on nonessential purchases.
5. HW2.0 cars have other hardware differences like steering column redundancy, radar,cameras with RCCC filter etc compared to HW2.5 cars or Raven Model S. So even if I do MCU2 upgrade, it’s still not on par with other latest Model S/X, so not sure if it’s worth spending $2500+tax

So I would upgrade either when some FSD features really need the new MCU(not just for rendering purpose) or when my current MCU is nearing its end of life/warranty.

Reactions: am_dmd and croman

I didn't have to re-download maps, infact the calibration was already done by the SC personnel who took it for QC drive. Right out of SC, I had autopilot and stop signs.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
I didn't have to re-download maps, infact the calibration was already done by the SC personnel who took it for QC drive. Right out of SC, I had autopilot and stop signs.

Wished my SC had done that. Still messing with the maps 48 hours after picking it up and being connected to WiFi entire time. Had to contact support and am waiting for a call back to see what the deal is.

Just got the car back from Paramus NJ SC with HW3.0 upgrade without MCU2 upgrade.

Several reasons to defer/not do MCU2 upgrade
1. Still have 16 months warranty left, so a EMMC failure in the next 18 months might lead to a cheaper/free upgrade.
2. My car is a 75 kw battery pack, might upgrade in the next few years
3. I don’t like YouTube, Netflix infotainment on portrait screen, they don’t look as good as on Model 3’s landscape mode. Don’t play games either.
4. COVID-19 uncertainties has led to a lot less driving for next several months and cut down spending on nonessential purchases.
5. HW2.0 cars have other hardware differences like steering column redundancy, radar,cameras with RCCC filter etc compared to HW2.5 cars or Raven Model S. So even if I do MCU2 upgrade, it’s still not on par with other latest Model S/X, so not sure if it’s worth spending $2500+tax

So I would upgrade either when some FSD features really need the new MCU(not just for rendering purpose) or when my current MCU is nearing its end of life/warranty.

I plan to keep my 75D a long time. I want to put money towards other things (pools, vacations). I do plan to get the extended warranty from xcare this month. For about 5k I can get coverage to 125k miles and 6 more years. With this car its i no brainer. Air suspension, door handles and MCU i expect to fail

Anyone else noticing this?
Yup gotten very laggy.
Few months ago prior to FSD upgrade I had done factory reset just out of curiosity and my voice command started working almost instantaneously. Since FSD upgrade again everything got very laggy and today I had black out backup camera screen issue, music would stop/freeze and just in general very unresponsive, so again I did a factory reset and noticed that new maps now have color back again (water is blue now). I don't remember seeing it earlier so I am assuming something didn't upload properly during FSD upgrade? At least voice command is again very responsive but will see if it's just temporary ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Yup gotten very laggy.
Few months ago prior to FSD upgrade I had done factory reset just out of curiosity and my voice command started working almost instantaneously. Since FSD upgrade again everything got very laggy and today I had black out backup camera screen issue, music would stop/freeze and just in general very unresponsive, so again I did a factory reset and noticed that new maps now have color back again (water is blue now). I don't remember seeing it earlier so I am assuming something didn't upload properly during FSD upgrade? At least voice command is again very responsive but will see if it's just temporary ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So my excitement didn't last too long and maps are reverted back to grayscale. Odd that after factory reset maps shows color (blues, greens) and I guess downloads newer maps on top of older ones? No wonder whole UI feels laggy.
Attached some photos,sorry for poor quality but you can see the old vs new maps.
IMG_20200613_093814.jpg
IMG_20200612_183755.jpg

I plan to keep my 75D a long time. I want to put money towards other things (pools, vacations). I do plan to get the extended warranty from xcare this month. For about 5k I can get coverage to 125k miles and 6 more years. With this car its i no brainer. Air suspension, door handles and MCU i expect to fail

I took the ~5k Extra warranty coverage and put it into TSLA. Tripled it. Every extra warranty I ever paid for, the house always won.

Door handles current gen seems to be better. Would still have to pay some for the MCU2 if MCU1 fails under warranty. If my MCU1 fails, that’s when I’d upgrade. I was considering getting MCU2 now but my MCU1 is still quick enough.

Battery and drivetrain still covered. Haven’t heard of widespread air suspension issues.

Model X, AP2, April 2017 build. Dropped it off yesterday and picket it up today after AP3 upgrade (no MCU upgrade).

I drove it back home about 60 miles. I am aware it is supposed to calibrate but it was not calibrating or anything. The map is stuck at the service center address. None of the sensors seem to work. But no speed limit, no cruise control or autopilot and the ultrasonic sensors don’t seem to work either. When I get home, the home link doesn’t open the garage door automatically. It basically became level zero.

Got in touch with service center and they told me to reset it (already did three times - both hard and soft). So, they are trying to figure it out and get back to me on Monday. Map version is NA-2020.12-11866 and AP is 2020.20.1.

Anyone else with similar experience?

Last edited:
Model X, AP2, April 2017 build. Dropped it off yesterday and picket it up today after AP3 upgrade (no MCU upgrade).

I drove it back home about 60 miles. I am aware it is supposed to calibrate but it was not calibrating or anything. The map is stuck at the service center address. None of the sensors seem to work. But no speed limit, no cruise control or autopilot and the ultrasonic sensors don’t seem to work either. When I get home, the home link doesn’t open the garage door automatically. It basically became level zero.

Got in touch with service center and they told me to reset it (already did three times - both hard and soft). So, they are trying to figure it out and get back to me on Monday. Map version is NA-2020.12-11866 and AP is 2020.20.1.

Anyone else with similar experience?

Yes, I had this exact same issue. It's a configuration setting that they forgot to switch. They can fix it remotely.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximus-MX