Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

App Connection down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah that’s a ‘normal’ spontaneous reboot. When exactly did it happen? Because I’m wondering if some cars could have been doing something that didn’t like their connection being terminated. Mine sure didn’t.

Still weird the fix for a reboot is another

Sorry getting back to just now. Went to grab late breakfast maybe 10:30-11ish PDT? 1pm PDT when we checked on car via app and saw first can't connect. At late lunch 4pm PDT when we checked app and saw the maintenance message.

It's great that you are communicating here regarding this issue. I would suggest that since you guys have email/text information on your owners, that a broadcast message would be extremely helpful and would avoid the deluge of calls which have shut your support lines down.
Dankim, I love my X, but to put it frankly Tesla’s communication SUCKS. There is no excuse for it taking 6 hours to acknowledge a problem and then only stating that we are aware some users are having a problem. Seriously? I hope that you are aware that the situation is bigger than some users are having a problem. It is obvious that Tesla is having a problem. Acknowledge and communicate. If you have an expected recovery time, communicate it. If you don’t have an expected recovery tome, then communicate that.

On a related note, rollout of new software updates is also poorly communicated. Elon tweets out a month ago that new maps are coming. I get the new 12 update and no new maps. I have spent the last 3 weeks checking my router activity at least 5 times a day to see if I got my 5 gig download. I find out this week that the map rollout is apparently geographic based and no new maps for anyone in Michigan (based on a post in this forum). Why can’t you communicate the rollout strategy? I shouldn’t have to check my router when you guys know there is zero chance that I will get a map update. Huge improvements are needed on the IT side of customer service. You guys seem to have an attitude of “let them eat sh*t”.

I went back through my notifications and discovered that I had also thought been notified the charging started.
View attachment 295763
I just set the charge limit higher to restart charging. just got another notification started again (7 minute delay) 3 times and counting. (Now 6)
View attachment 295764

Noticed you're on Verizon. We are on AT&T and no problems with our phone other than the Tesla app.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Enjoy your small preview of what would happen if Tesla goes under (hm, there was a bunch of threads about what would happen then - probably a more fitting comment for those, but cannot find it ATM).

Who knows how long would we need to wait till the next demo, could be decades!

Edit: come think of it, this was likely targeted at April 1st, but due to errors in conversions from Elon time to Earth time, a delay was introduced (as it happens from time to time when such conversions are made)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jpaz and Fcautela1
I left my key in the cup holder and was able to open my 1 year old Model S 90D one minute and not the next. I just had car serviced yesterday and they installed new key fob battery. Simple answer to log into app and unlock the car, but app was down. I called roadside assistance and they couldn’t unlock my car either. They sent flatbed tow truck. Driver wanted me to sign waiver that if he damaged my car he was not responsible! Told him to go and I got a ride home and left the car. 5 hours later the car decided to unlock as side view mirrors popped out and someone near the car was able to retrieve the key. Anyone have a problem like this? Very frustrating as now I have to get a ride back to the car!

Welcome to the realities of cloud connected devices - all works great until it breaks, or until the provided decides to discontinue the service for whatever reason, or the provider gets acquired or goes out of business. A friend got a Logitech remote control a couple of years ago, it stopped working (Logitech killed the service for it) and all he got was a special offer to buy a new one at some discount.

• Love
Reactions: Teslie and DerekH
I got this message from Amazon Web Services today around the same time my tesla connections started failing and it’s about some instances in my cloud infrastructure “EC2 has detected degradation of the underlying hardware hosting your Amazon EC2 instance” . The email went on to say it may have already failed and connection attempts will fail. I wonder if the same thing hit Tesla.

It's entirely possible that this is some sort of hacking attack on Tesla's servers. Then they wouldn't be able to put them back into service until they're sure that they're clean. That could take quite a while.

Given that the fight with big auto and big oil has moved into the open warfare stage, we could be seeing a lot more of this sort of thing. Or at least that's what the paranoid side of me says.

I received 2018.6.1 last night and I noticed today my iOS mobile app is having a hard time communicating with the car. I am getting "Unknown Errors" often. Is this related to 2018.6.1? I know also many cloud environments are under DDos attacks. Anyone having issues today?
My android and iPhone apps have had similar issues all day! Cannot connect to vehicle, stating server is under maintanence.