Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Appears Model 3 may not offer heated rear seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wire color experts unite. Other looks like some type of module. Found within the left back seat where it attaches as it closes.
20180115_150613.jpg
20180115_151601.jpg
20180115_151836.jpg

Any ideas about exactly how the rear seat heaters will be controlled since there are no dedicated buttons in the back row to control them?

I suppose it will have to be done through the touchscreen, so Tesla is probably banking on an "Auto" setting (along with the occupancy sensors) working well enough that the rear passengers won't have to bug the driver or front passenger to change the rear seat heater setting every time they get a bit hot or cold. However, in my experience with the heated seats in my Volt, the "Auto" setting rarely works to my satisfaction. To get just the right amount of heat to be comfy, I end up manually adjusting it during almost every drive -- sometimes multiple times per drive. That could get annoying real quick for both the driver/front passenger and rear passenger(s) if it's similar in the Model 3.

Anyone have any other theories?

We went to Palo Alto Stanford today to see the Model 3 and I asked about whether this First Production vehicle had heated rear seats and was told the wiring was there and right now the front seats are heated and the reat seats would be updated with an OTA update. Take it FWIW and I asked the guy if he was absolutely sure that was the case and he said yes.

Any ideas about exactly how the rear seat heaters will be controlled since there are no dedicated buttons in the back row to control them?

I suppose it will have to be done through the touchscreen, so Tesla is probably banking on an "Auto" setting (along with the occupancy sensors) working well enough that the rear passengers won't have to bug the driver or front passenger to change the rear seat heater setting every time they get a bit hot or cold. However, in my experience with the heated seats in my Volt, the "Auto" setting rarely works to my satisfaction. To get just the right amount of heat to be comfy, I end up manually adjusting it during almost every drive -- sometimes multiple times per drive. That could get annoying real quick for both the driver/front passenger and rear passenger(s) if it's similar in the Model 3.

Anyone have any other theories?

@jsmay311 Probably the same way they work on the S&X...
For those liking to adjust (i.e. 3 initially then perhaps change to 2 or even 1 after warming up) it sounds like voice controls would work well.

tweet.jpg

LhmoyMt.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311 and Dr. J
@jsmay311 Probably the same way they work on the S&X...

So in that case there would be no "auto" setting for heated seats at all? It would be purely manual?

Forgive my ignorance... Not a current owner and I couldn't find any specifics about this in the Model S manual. But I did find this video (below) demonstrating the controls menu on the Model S, including the rear heated seat controls (starting @2:33). You've basically gotta go down 2 "levels" into the menu: first into Controls, then the Cold Weather tab. Not exactly ideal.

So in that case there would be no "auto" setting for heated seats at all? It would be purely manual?

Forgive my ignorance... Not a current owner and I couldn't find any specifics about this in the Model S manual. But I did find this video (below) demonstrating the controls menu on the Model S, including the rear heated seat controls (starting @2:33). You've basically gotta go down 2 "levels" into the menu: first into Controls, then the Cold Weather tab. Not exactly ideal.
I believe you are correct for the current Tesla software. It is manual. It has probably been a minor annoyance to me but a 1st world problem. Voice may be enable in TM3 per above. My Ford Expedition would automatically shut off actually. My Volt's dial down to eventually 1 as I recall. Neither of these worked ideal for us either and we'd have to manually adjust. Trade offs. Tesla could automate all this but would have to pick some timing values and it would work for some but likely not for > 50%. Plus makes UI more complicated if user configurable unless it is automatic. UI overload is real for some customers or family members.

The front seats have easy access as they are always displayed on the bottom of the screen but they are not automated.
The rear seats (on my X) require me to go into that menu. ie. when really cold and we are out with another couple I turn the wives 2nd row seats on 3 (or 2) and then when everyone warms up they get set to 1.

Read this thread for an example of people not liking or liking auto seats (GM-Volt): Auto Seat Heater Rant

• Helpful
Reactions: mach330 and bhzmark
Read this thread for an example of people not liking or liking auto seats (GM-Volt): Auto Seat Heater Rant

If you don't like the "Auto" setting, you just turn it off. It's not perfect for everyone, but it's better than not being there at all.

When on "auto" it'll turn on right away at level 3 when it's cold to warm up quickly, then gradually dial back over time. In my experience it sometimes doesn't dial back fast enough so I'll lower it myself and that disengages "auto" for the rest of the trip. But there's still value in having it start at level 3 and at least attempt to maintain optimal power levels. If it works to your liking, great! Even if it doesn't, it's still saving you some clicks (most the time).

And the value of an "auto" setting is potentially even greater when dealing with backseat passengers who can't quickly and easily adjust the power setting themselves.

If you don't like the "Auto" setting, you just turn it off. It's not perfect for everyone, but it's better than not being there at all. When on "auto" it'll turn on right away at level 3 when it's cold to warm up quickly, then gradually dial back over time. In my experience it sometimes doesn't dial back fast enough so I'll lower it myself and that disengages "auto" for the rest of the trip. But there's still value in having it start at level 3 and at least attempt to maintain optimal power levels. If it works to your liking, great! Even if it doesn't, it's still saving you some clicks (most the time). And the value of an "auto" setting is potentially even greater when dealing with backseat passengers who can't quickly and easily adjust the power setting themselves.
You make some reasonable points about how it starts on high. In my Tesla if it is colder winter days for a while I just leave it on 1.

And the value of an "auto" setting is potentially even greater when dealing with backseat passengers who can't quickly and easily adjust the power setting themselves.
Do you know of any cars from any manufacturer that do auto for back seats. I don't think the Volt does from memory and from a check of the 2016 manual. The back seat scenario probably has a lot of use case situations. Kids playing with it, it defaulting (or played with) to HI and then kids complain, stuff being left on the back seat that confuses the sensors and they turn on, etc, etc. Again, why I asked if other cars do this as it may have complications (and regulations).

Do you know of any cars from any manufacturer that do auto for back seats. I don't think the Volt does from memory and from a check of the 2016 manual. The back seat scenario probably has a lot of use case situations. Kids playing with it, it defaulting (or played with) to HI and then kids complain, stuff being left on the back seat that confuses the sensors and they turn on, etc, etc. Again, why I asked if other cars do this as it may have complications (and regulations).

Good point. I had assumed the auto setting in the Volt would apply to all seats, but apparently not.

But I'll flip it around on ya... Is there any non-Tesla vehicle with rear heated seats that can't be controlled by the rear passengers?

That's a much more critical difference IMO as the "auto" setting would just be a sh*tty bandaid on the main problem: the lack of controls in the backseat.

Good point. I had assumed the auto setting in the Volt would apply to all seats, but apparently not.

But I'll flip it around on ya... Is there any non-Tesla vehicle with rear heated seats that can't be controlled by the rear passengers?

That's a much more critical difference IMO as the "auto" setting would just be a sh*tty bandaid on the main problem: the lack of controls in the backseat.

First world problems. My X has heating on all 7 seats, controlled from the touchscreen. On a cold day I'll just turn on the heaters for my passengers, or ask them if they want heat and set accordingly. My kids will get in the car and say "2 please!". Tesla is trying to integrate and simplify controls, to take out costs and increase flexibility to make feature changes in software. Not having a little dial next to each seat is no big deal - in fact, it can often be easier to turn on heat for someone from the touchscreen than to explain to them where their dial/switch is.

Last edited:
Have it be controlled by an app on a phone and the back seat passengers can just use their phone to control the rear seat heat themselves. Would work for the adults anyways might not for younger kids.

There were rumors a couple years ago that they would do that for the model X heated rear seats and rear climate controls. They probably decided it wasn’t worth the effort. I’d rather see fixes and improvements to the media player and driving directions, among other things.