Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Appears Model 3 may not offer heated rear seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now I'm hoping the non-PUP cars come with front heated seats. No reason to think so, just hoping.
I'm pretty sure that front seats are heated in all Model 3s.
Yes, they are
Great news, if true. I would ask for a source, but I'm not sure there are any reliable sources for information on cars that haven't been produced yet. Prove me wrong, please!:)

For the win..... Well that is certainly encouraging, but I am not sure the DS information is gospel. If we could get a few more folks who are about to take delivery to ask the same question, we would have more confidence in the answer. @PlayaVista, thank you for asking and sharing!
Same thing I heard when picking up the M3 on 12/28.

Reactions: insaneoctane
I'm pretty sure that front seats are heated in all Model 3s.
I was told heated seats were not yet enabled, though the hardware was there - but I've been deliberately ignoring this thread (sorry!) until I had confirmation from someone who would know for a fact. I do not yet have that confirmation.
Yes, they are

From the December 21st Owners Manual. Looks pretty clear that only the front seats are heated. Hard to believe Tesla hasn't clarified once and for all since we've also seen delivery paperwork that indicates the rear seats are heated.
For now I'm just going to assume they are not heated so I won't be disappointed. Doesn't really matter to me since I don't often have anyone in the back seat.

heated seats.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I thought I would quote the relevant text for the lazy....
Letter from Tesla (bold by me) :

Hello Eric,

As we continue to increase production of Model 3 and produce more high quality cars for customers, all Model 3 vehicles are being made with the same premium textile headliner found in our flagship Model S and Model X vehicles, which has always been planned at this stage of production. The Model 3 is a great car, and the premium package (PUP) retains premium finishes throughout the cabin, and benefits from a variety of other functional enhancements including premium audio, upgraded side mirrors, and heated front and rear seats.

This is the product that we are making going forward, and we did not communicate that customers would receive a specific material. We made this transition in S/X some time ago, and have been referring to this material as a Premium Headliner in those vehicles.The current material is also a premium headliner, but with a different texture, where durability has remain unchanged, and this is our product that we stand behind.

I hope this helps clear things up for you, and my apologies if it was not the exact response you desired. Thank you for being part of our growing Tesla family!

From the December 21st Owners Manual. Looks pretty clear that only the front seats are heated. Hard to believe Tesla hasn't clarified once and for all since we've also seen delivery paperwork that indicates the rear seats are heated.
For now I'm just going to assume they are not heated so I won't be disappointed. Doesn't really matter to me since I don't often have anyone in the back seat.
It is a big big deal in general. Other cars have put out a model year without and then switched to make sure the back seats have them.

A: Why and especially why in electric cars?
Q: Kids in the back seats. Also allows you from running the front seat as super high heat (energy plus overheat front driver/passenger).

I had a horrible thought....

What if Tesla tried to pull off the heated rear seats in a similar fashion to the way they heat the battery pack? They don't have dedicated heaters, rather they just heat the motor up, which in turn heats the battery up. Wouldn't that be awful if that is why it's not in the GUI yet, because of the complex algorithm they would need if using the motor? Sounds insane to me, but with Tesla's latest shenanigans, anything seems possible! Here's hoping I'm way off base!

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike